Sign in to follow this  
gatito

Pitting/Splitting

I'd like to suggest that when this happens, the original thread is pitted in its entirety and then the public thread is simply weeded of those posts deemed unacceptable (for whatever reason).

The record of the entire original is then there for people either to follow or to continue posting, if they choose so to do.

Furthermore, I assume that this would make the editing of the public portion much easier, and it also follows the spirit of the Founding Principles more closely.

• Like 2

I'd like to suggest that when this happens, the original thread is pitted in its entirety and then the public thread is simply weeded of those posts deemed unacceptable (for whatever reason).

The record of the entire original is then there for people either to follow or to continue posting, if they choose so to do.

Furthermore, I assume that this would make the editing of the public portion much easier, and it also follows the spirit of the Founding Principles more closely.

This is an excellent suggestion - and I think may be easier for the mod team.

• Like 2

Gatito, I'm not quite sure what you mean, could you please elaborate? :)

It sounds like you are talking about copying posts over? (that would be quite awesome, but not actually possible).

So say we have a thread with 20 posts, and posts 4, 5, 13-18 are the ones being split and moved... in your suggestion how would the 2 threads look?

How it works now is posts 1-3, 6-13, 19-20 stay put and posts 4, 5, 13-18 are in the pit thread...

Are there "copy thread to sub-forum X" and "copy post to thread Y" functions or only "move..." functions?

It sounds like you are talking about copying posts over? (that would be quite awesome, but not actually possible).

Not even with addons (I checked last night).

Move, hide, split, merge, those are the only options.

Oh, well! Chalk it up in the "it would be nice if..." category, I think.

Not even with addons (I checked last night).

Move, hide, split, merge, those are the only options.

That makes sense as forum software is not so much about redundancy.

if something is split it means it does not belong and thus... keeping it all together goes against the premise.

• Like 1

I'm thinking he meant have a full copy in the dungeon, which wouldn't be a problem necessarily (well if the mods and admin liked the idea anyways).... however yeah the software doesn't like that idea so much.

Yes, that's what I meant

I thought that, with a few other tweaks, it would pretty much solve a major modding problem and allow split conversations to be followed and continued (as opposed to effectively ending them and transforming them into something completely different, which takes too much effort for any sane person to attempt to reconstruct).

Ah well...not meant to be :)

Thanks to everyone who got involved

• Like 1

I'm thinking he meant have a full copy in the dungeon, which wouldn't be a problem necessarily (well if the mods and admin liked the idea anyways).... however yeah the software doesn't like that idea so much.

Isn't it possible to copy the whole of a thread to the Pit and then delete the offending posts from the original and mark one Pit Version and the other Pure Version?

Although, the pitted version would actually be the pure version.

They could be labelled Pit and Public, which would, to a certain extemt, mitigate problems that arise from people feeling that they've done something "bad", when actually, all they've done is break the ToS and/or go against the Founding principles..

Isn't it possible to copy the whole of a thread to the Pit and then delete the offending posts from the original and mark one Pit Version and the other Pure Version?

There is not a copy function for the posts, nor the thread, nor pretty much anything on here. There are also not any addons to add a copy function for anything, I checked.... Would be handy if we could do that though!

I'm thinking he meant have a full copy in the dungeon,

Yes... I agree that was the original idea... and as was pointed out, the so-called 'pure' (original) version would be pitted :D

So the PC naming of Pit and Public is quite elegant :)

There is not a copy function for the posts, nor the thread, nor pretty much anything on here. There are also not any addons to add a copy function for anything, I checked.... Would be handy if we could do that though!

I have asked this at another forum where I help and it seems forum software really does not consider the idea of 'copy' to be... let's say advantageous yet. I can understand that as linearity is desired in regards to use and storage.

I can see where it might be handy and frankly as a function it ought to be basic. Let the users (ie: admins) decide to use it or not.

I think that the simple idea that 'split and pit' has earned its namesake ;)

• Like 1

Public and Pit.

Surely they are both public.

I think the main version should be thought of as staying put ... so I would advocate

Sit and Spit.

I know its academic but I enjoy thinking about pointless things.

Public and Pit.

Surely they are both public.

I think the main version should be thought of as staying put ... so I would advocate

Sit and Spit.

I know its academic but I enjoy thinking about pointless things.

The Pit is protected.... via log in... how is that public?

• Like 1

The Pit is protected.... via log in... how is that public?

Good point. I withdraw.

• Like 1

I found this:

http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/5482-easy-topic-moderation/

But it turns out it only copies the thread title and first post... funny how elusive the all powerful 'copy' is in forum software.

• Like 1

^^^

I think that part of the problem is that TTBs is based on original principles that no other forum really understands (and which a few Bums don't seem to understand either :))

Sign in to follow this