Mudryah

TAICHI SPEED...

Most people practice Tai Chi slowly, at 30 seconds per move, but you can do Tai Chi at many other paces.

Other paces you should try are :

Hard & Abrupt (tensing only at the moment of IMPACT)

Fast & Flowing (as fast as possible)

Slow (one minute per move)

Super Slow (five minutes per move)

Each of these paces trains your body in a different way, giving the Chi a wide variety of ways to flow. The Super Slow mode is the most powerful, engraining the moves into your autonomic nervous system as a new set of reflexes that will operate in combat without any need for your mind to slow you down. Also, the Super Slow mode will pull up a tremendous amount of Chi and magical like things will begin to happen around you.

Best to wait until you are comfortable with Slow mode, before doing Super Slow mode. The body needs time to adjust to it. Super Slow mode really is a monster, which is why nobody teaches it. I just sort of stumbled onto it myself. When you are ready to do Super Slow mode, you will notice every tiny nuance of each move, every single muscle, tendon, ligament & nerve that is involved. Having your form exactly correct is very important in Super Slow mode, because you are deeply imprinting the move in the reptilian portion of your brain.

Another thing to consider, is Short Form & Long Form. In Short Form, conservation of movement is practiced, and the back is generally kept perpendicular with the ground. In Long Form the movements are extended quite a bit.

Once you're comfortable with it, slow down to one move per minute. At this pace you can begin to notice nuances within the moves, and make corrections to your form, so that you are always in proper posture & balanced. One of the benefits of Tai Chi, is that it coordinates the entire body into each move. Thus, a punch will carry, not only the force from the arm & shoulder, but the energy of the entire body, including the legs. That is, a punch with the force of a kick... Also, more than muscular strength is employed, since the strength of the ligaments is also utilized.

After a few months of real slow, you will be ready for super slow : one move every five minutes. Here you will become aware of every single nerve & muscle fiber. Subtle things in the forms will become apparent, & your back will adjust itself to perfect alignment. At five minutes per move you will not only feel great amounts of Chi flowing through you, but you will also see it dripping off of your hands & feet, like a clear sirup. The Chi will flow up from the center of the Earth. Trees & wild animals will know what you are doing, and you may be visited.

At this point the moves will be etched into your autonomic nervous system, as a new set of reflexes, which will be under the control of the lower portion of the brain around the brain stem. This part of the brain is known as the reptilian brain, because it governs reflexes & involuntary movements, and is the earliest part of our evolution as a physical species. In other words, your reaction time in combat will become so fast that neither you, nor your opponents will ever see what you did.

• Like 4

This is an article I found.

You should identify the source for the article, please?

• Like 1

You should identify the source for the article, please?

If everything what had said is true, why do we need the source? Do we have to see it to believe it?

Edited by ChiDragon

Most people practice Tai Chi slowly, at 30 seconds per move, but you can do Tai Chi at many other paces.

Other paces you should try are :

Hard & Abrupt (tensing only at the moment of IMPACT)

Fast & Flowing (as fast as possible)

Slow (one minute per move)

Super Slow (five minutes per move)

Each of these paces trains your body in a different way, giving the Chi a wide variety of ways to flow. The Super Slow mode is the most powerful, engraining the moves into your autonomic nervous system as a new set of reflexes that will operate in combat without any need for your mind to slow you down. Also, the Super Slow mode will pull up a tremendous amount of Chi and magical like things will begin to happen around you.

This is to my understanding and experience.

In general, there are only two speeds of Tai Ji which are slow and fast. Therefore, there is no need to clock oneself for the practice. Basically, the paces are slow to begin with as a novelist. It was know as Tai Ji or slow Tai Ji and the fast Tai Ji is at higher level which was known as fast Tai Ji for the practice of Fa Jin(發勁).

The practice of slow Tai Ji is to adjust all the tension of the muscle and the joints to get use to the new stresses which were applied to them. After a long period of practice, the movements will build up the muscle tone and the joints are more flexible for the swivel action. Simultaneously, each step of the movements were imprinted in the mind; and they will become very natural each time when one rise the arms and legs without thinking. Most importantly, the Jin(勁) was developing silently in the muscles before one realizing it was even there. Not until one tried to push someone or something, then one will know one's own strength for the first time.

PS.....

There may be conflicts in your understanding with mind. However, I am willing to share the differences!

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

If everything what had said is true, why do we need the source? Do we have to see it to believe it?

Because it is illegal and unethical and a violation of TTB ToS?

• Like 1

Because it is illegal and unethical and a violation of TTB ToS?

Okay....

That seems to be little not Wu Wei.

However, I had just posted something to the best of my knowledge which no reference have found anywhere on the NET. Am I illegal to do so and the understanding of my post will be discredited? Please advise! Thank you!

Edited by ChiDragon

Okay....

That seems to be little not Wu Wei.

However, I had just posted something to the best of my knowledge which no reference have found anywhere on the NET. Am I illegal to do so and the understanding of my post will be discredited? Please advise! Thank you!

Posting your own thoughts in your own words is appropriate in this context, CD, on several levels. Posting someone else's thoughts and words without proper credit being given is inappropriate and rude. I suspect you didn't need me to tell you that.

• Like 1

Don't forget the ultimate slowness = stillness. Take a posture and hold it. Only small external movements to adjust to the proper structure so the the muscles can relax into it.

Slowness is one of the great open secrets to the internal arts. Few people have the patience and fortitude to take a 10 minute set and do it in 60-90 minutes. Doing this, along with holding static postures will do wonders for the health, spiritual, and martial qualities. One of best methods for developing proper structure and relaxation. There will also come a point where one realizes how many unnoticed variables exist in even a simple posture such as the opening rising/falling of the hands. One could spend many lifetimes and still not master this art.

• Like 4

Don't forget the ultimate slowness = stillness. Take a posture and hold it. Only small external movements to adjust to the proper structure so the the muscles can relax into it.

well said, Alfred, thanks! :)

Yes!!!! JustBHappy said it well. I lose students because they want a quick fix of practicing taichi but I refuse. it takes years to really understand the basics and learn internal arts. but how do you go slow?

Yes!!!! JustBHappy said it well. I lose students because they want a quick fix of practicing taichi but I refuse. it takes years to really understand the basics and learn internal arts. but how do you go slow?

Sorry, double posts above. But Yes!!!! JustBHappy said it well. I lose students because they want a quick fix of practicing taichi but I refuse. it takes years to really understand the basics and learn internal arts. but how do you go slow?

Edited by Mudryah

Sorry, double posts above. But Yes!!!! JustBHappy said it well. I lose students because they want a quick fix of practicing taichi but I refuse. it takes years to really understand the basics and learn internal arts. but how do you go slow?

When I teach (Various Qigong long forms, but not Taiji), I sometimes say, 'ok, now I'll make it easier for you, we'll do it a couple times quickly .... '. But the real challenge for people is always doing things slowly and attentively, intently.

• Like 1

we bow humbly to your superior wisdom in all things, oh great one! We are not worthy.

I bow humbly to your superior talent for being sarcastic and pointless at the same time.

If you were able to read my post, you would suddenly see that I gave the link to a person who I have no relation at all.

Edited by Isimsiz Biri

"The Large Frame (Da Jia), where movements are slow and soft, really is the first step in the mastery of Taiji Quan, but it’s only the first step. And if you stop on it, you will never be able to understand the depth and versatility of Taiji . Surely, even by practicing only this form, you can improve your health and make your mind and heart calm and balanced. But it all will remain as a practice for health maintenance then. Meantime, if you are interested in martial aspect, then you cannot to stop at this stage. Apart from the Large Frame, there are still: “Lower Frame” or “Frame of the Earth” (Dijia), “Small Frame” (Xiaojia), “Fast Frame” (Kuaijia), “Old Frame” (Laojia) and that’s not all from the list. All these practices have different execution techniques and different purposes.

Therefore, a complete traditional practice of Taiji Quan Yang style includes not only the slow form, but a number of other forms and methods, where one can work on strength, speed, agility, quick execution of movements with a focus on the release of the power issuing (Fajin); there is also training of fast and precision buffets etc."

• Like 1