BaguaKicksAss

Living off grid

Way too many awesome things on this page to post each one: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Living-Off-The-Grid/335665986469892

Some houses on here, awesome tech that allows you to turn salt water into drinking water using solar power, various gardening suggestions, and so forth. Pretty neat.

I don't remember the other pages around the net, but I have to say those off grid houses built into hills also look pretty awesome.

• Like 6

I have been mentally off-grid for quite a while now.

No longer pay any taxes for emotional outputs, and zero road/vehicle tolls for the path i'm on.

My heart glows in the twilight of existence, body warmed by the blood which flows through it.

Frugal with essence, sharp with insight.

Guided by blessings, all things become opportunities to awaken.

:)

• Like 7

My phone charges off grid. I am off grid at the cabin ... but on network.

Grid is power lines ... you cant get off network, even without a phone, it is everywhere (unless you live in 'non reception area' ) .... beaming through your house ... your head.

In over 20 years off-grid experience my biggest realisation is, it all depends on life style. It can be very easy to live off grid ... that's the way people that live on boats do it.

• Like 1

I did live off grid for a couple of years, not long, but it was quite enjoyable :). Didn't have a cel phone either time, used a landline nearby in one instance, and the library computers in the other. I'd personally have a cel phone if I did it again though. I just wouldn't leave it turned on accept when I made a call, that is my personal preference as I don't like the interference and feel of them being on. Or perhaps a landline.

Though living in a regular house in the middle of the forest was pretty awesome too I have to say.

• Like 3

Would it be alright to broaden the topic a bit ... or the definition of grid?

I am interested to know how any taobums have actually done it ( / doing it) and what were you experiences with issues and solutions (or problems that arose with apparent solutions) in regard to water source and supply, power and energy, waste disposal ( biological and 'trash' or 'garbage' ) site layout / design, gardens / crops / animals, building (architecture, materials, etc.) .

{ I couldn't see your OP link as I am 'off the facebook grid' :) }

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 3

For power, this solar powered generator looks like an easy option. And here are some smaller ones.

For internet, which we all love...my sister recently got a satellite dish for it because she lives too far away from any provider...so that option exists to stay off-the-grid-on-the-net. Would probably take quite a bit of solar power to keep the internet and computer up, along with lighting, etc.

For shelter, these tiny portable homes are well done and affordable on a payment plan. Nice thing is that you can easily move it to any land you want to use, and leave your previous land without having built on it. Hopefully you'd be spending a lot of time outdoors because it's so small.

For drinking water, berkey filters...and you could use rainwater or river water if it's a decent enough source...or I suppose well water. Or find a spring near you, check the testing they've done to see if it's good enough without filtering.

For showering, I've recently seen people come up with units that recycle the water, filter it, and heat it back up.

For cooking in luxury, get a big green egg grill.

Within the next 20 years I plan on transitioning to live self sufficiently and these are some things I've been looking at.

• Like 3

I winced at the generator ... too complex ... I have 2 systems one with 1 panel, I truck battery battery, wiring small inverter - I can fix that if it breaks but nothing there to break really in the first place (I know people with large or high tech solar and it gives much more trouble than my system) ... I run lights, music, charge phone and laptop - no probs.

Thanks for the advice on finding water or drinking rainwater and other market possibilities :) I am actually hankering after some converse with people who are actually doing it and living the practicalities . (That's why I bolded in post 13. )

• Like 1

I just lived without electricity. Did I mention I only did it for 2 years? :)

Going into the nearest town's coffee shop for wifi, charge laptop.

Streams and filter. Waterfalls if you are so lucky.

We just had a few rustic shelters setup, cookstove, and proper outhouse.

Now that I think about it, prob doesn't count as off grid, as we had nothing fancy, like those awesome proper houses do.

Heat? Got used fur coats from the thrift store to stay warm at night ;).

And Nungali, you will probably know what I'm talking about when I say, most awesome evocations etc. ever!

If I were to do it again though, would at least need to run my Foredom tool and laptop for my jewelry making, and jewelry selling. Oh and hot water (I was younger then ROFL)

• Like 2

I winced at the generator ... too complex ... I have 2 systems one with 1 panel, I truck battery battery, wiring small inverter - I can fix that if it breaks but nothing there to break really in the first place (I know people with large or high tech solar and it gives much more trouble than my system) ... I run lights, music, charge phone and laptop - no probs.

Thanks for the advice on finding water or drinking rainwater and other market possibilities :) I am actually hankering after some converse with people who are actually doing it and living the practicalities . (That's why I bolded in post 13. )

Just make a fake name fb account, those folks post all sorts of ideas, and I think some of them actually live off grid. Use hidemyass.com if you are uncomfy with facebook having you ip address.

I'm going to try and live small and remote, but I'm not willing to give up electricity. I'll buy a generator and solar. I plan on building it myself once I find someplace to build it. It will be one room with a loft. I'm not sure whether I'll go composting toilet or not, but it sounds good if you plan on growing your own veggies.

Aaron

• Like 3

I just lived without electricity. Did I mention I only did it for 2 years? :)

Going into the nearest town's coffee shop for wifi, charge laptop.

Streams and filter. Waterfalls if you are so lucky.

We just had a few rustic shelters setup, cookstove, and proper outhouse.

Now that I think about it, prob doesn't count as off grid, as we had nothing fancy, like those awesome proper houses do.

Heat? Got used fur coats from the thrift store to stay warm at night ;).

And Nungali, you will probably know what I'm talking about when I say, most awesome evocations etc. ever!

If I were to do it again though, would at least need to run my Foredom tool and laptop for my jewelry making, and jewelry selling. Oh and hot water (I was younger then ROFL)

Well, this is sorta what I mean;

No electricity for two years; lighting? Candles, lamps, etc ? Go to town for wifi recharge - good idea.

Streams and filter? Water supply from a stream through a filter? How did the water arrive? Friends place is by the river but one has to walk up a steep bank with heavy water containers. Now he has a small holding tank and pumps up water from a water pump driven by an old lawn mower engine. I am not fully off grid at the cabin as it is on a community and the water is tank gravity feed to the cabin and gardens but the tank is filled by an on=grid pump by the river.

proper outhouse ? What is that? a can or deep pit. MY pit used to fill up with water during heavy rain - disgusting, I have come up with a great dry composting solution (many dry composting solutions around here seem difficult. some don't even work, I had to shovel one out and bury the waste).

You don't have to be 'fancy' to be off grid surely? I would say it goes the other way.

Hot water? I use a gas stove, I used to have a wood stove with a water jacket - ahhhh! those were the days/ I have also made hot water by a coil of black poly water pipe on the roof and even coiled up in a mulch pile ... hot enough to scald the skin!

There is always the chip heater ... wonderfull little things, chuffing away, even outside in the rain, like a little steam train.

At the cabn is an outside metal bath that I can light a fire under ... that is a great way to go.

• Like 2

I'm going to try and live small and remote, but I'm not willing to give up electricity. I'll buy a generator and solar. I plan on building it myself once I find someplace to build it. It will be one room with a loft. I'm not sure whether I'll go composting toilet or not, but it sounds good if you plan on growing your own veggies.

Aaron

Errmmm, you aren't advocating using toilet compost on veggies are you ... if I read that right .

Warning! Warning! Danger ! (DONT do that)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6sAVpzB0GUs/TXTIk8c-ajI/AAAAAAAAAlk/45GofRgqHJ4/s400/Warning%2521%2BWarning%2521.jpg

Edited by Nungali

Well, this is sorta what I mean;

No electricity for two years; lighting? Candles, lamps, etc ? Go to town for wifi recharge - good idea.

Streams and filter? Water supply from a stream through a filter? How did the water arrive? Friends place is by the river but one has to walk up a steep bank with heavy water containers. Now he has a small holding tank and pumps up water from a water pump driven by an old lawn mower engine. I am not fully off grid at the cabin as it is on a community and the water is tank gravity feed to the cabin and gardens but the tank is filled by an on=grid pump by the river.

proper outhouse ? What is that? a can or deep pit. MY pit used to fill up with water during heavy rain - disgusting, I have come up with a great dry composting solution (many dry composting solutions around here seem difficult. some don't even work, I had to shovel one out and bury the waste).

You don't have to be 'fancy' to be off grid surely? I would say it goes the other way.

Hot water? I use a gas stove, I used to have a wood stove with a water jacket - ahhhh! those were the days/ I have also made hot water by a coil of black poly water pipe on the roof and even coiled up in a mulch pile ... hot enough to scald the skin!

There is always the chip heater ... wonderfull little things, chuffing away, even outside in the rain, like a little steam train.

At the cabn is an outside metal bath that I can light a fire under ... that is a great way to go.

Yes candles for lighting, usually inside of little lantern shaped things to hold them. Tealights that is. I would like to have more success with olive oil lanterns :). Also I have found those liquid wax lamps are kinda neat, but I'm not a huge parafin fan.

Hot water, well over the fire/grill and a huge bucket... I'll admit lazyness on this one LOL. Summer was one of those solar showers, I'm surprised they actually work. Something a little more plush in the future definitely :). The filter is only needed for drinking water, so again, buckets and a filter.

Oh! The outhouses we used (were already in place) had 10 foot holes and nice little roofs overtop). Then every however many months would move them on over to a new area (so as to not ruin the environment). We were using an old site that was meant for about 20 people, so we would just rotate which ones we used.

I've lived in a cabin where we didn't heat the downstairs at all and kept hte door open for the dog (brrrr), used one of those wood stoves, they are awesome!!!

A metal tub with a fire underneath, oh now that would rock :) :) :).

Btw, that whole thing of a fire on the ground, then cover it with dirt and sleep on it, works really well too, if it's a nice night out. Tried that a few times, so much fun. Not good for rainy nights though lol.

Ahh ... the fire bath ... yes. Imagine: Its near some bamboo, nice plants and rainforest stuff around and in a grove of big twisted turpentine trees . The bath is steaming (and it cooks you, you cant get an experience like that with other baths as none keep supplying heat from the bottom, most gradually cool after you get in them.)

Your lying back, looking through up the trees and the rising steam to the stars. Ahhhhh!

I had a 'young friend' staying for a while (at her insistence) who loved the bath. her mum came to visit (who was about my age :wacko: ) she looks out the window where the bath is in full view; "I am not sure if my daughters privacy would be protected out there." - my response ; "Oh no, it isn't ...you should see the photos of it I posted on the internet." :P

Next day mum is out floating in the bath ... totally blissed out. Nungali calls out window; "When you are finished there is a warm fire going in here and a pot of tea made." - a convert ! Now she realises I am not bad after all !

Note ; Mums bath pics are posted at ....... :D

... Oh yeah, I just remembered: when on the Great Escarpment walk, the back up logistics truck guys found an old bath in the middle of nowhere, so we scored it, at each base camp it was set up, so when walkers came to camp in the middle of the bush after a section treck there was a camp set up with fire and dinner and a hot bath !

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

Now there is a place to get off grid!

When I was in New Zealand I saw a few small geothermal powered hot water and cooking systems. some houses even had localised private ones, just for that house . one had a boiling mud pit as a garden feature in the front lawn :blink: !

• Like 3

I have heard that goethermal is extremely expensive! I was asking about this 20 years ago too though, so things may have changed??

Btw, out of pure curiosity, has anyone looked into what the total cost for solar power for a small house? At least the cost for that seems to keep going down each year as technology improves and it is more and more widely accepted.

What entices me the most about off grid, is the wonderful remote places you can live with it :>.

Yes, the cost of solar panels has come down signigicantly. The last one I bought were from Amazon.com and they were 1/3rd the price of the ones I bought when I first started my system - same physical size and output.

Depending on one's power needs, one could have a stand-alone solar system with a few batteries for power during no-sun days and evening energy. Of course, an inverter would likely be needed for 110VAC power.

There is a lot of new technology for solar collection but it is still very expensive and not very available.