CloudHands

[Tai Chi/Internal Martial Arts] Daily practice duration

Hi, I was interested in having some notion about what you think is a good daily practice duration. And what's your average daily pratice ?

For those who pratice a lot, what's your main routine ?

Have a good day.

Clément

I do 40-70minutes of practice every day.

I'm also interested in hearing about others, mainly whether there is any guy who is doing hardcore practice like the guys back in the day :P

I work at a physically demanding job that also comes with a lot of stressful situations. At a minimum, I do discreet excercises on the subway on the way into Manhattan and do the 108 Yang form before going on to a site. The night time is hit and miss.

The maximum is on the weekends where I get a couple of hours in each day plus less focused horsing around with connections that occur to me.

Like raimonio, I would like to hear from some of the hardcore.

Edited by PLB

I practice about 10 minutes of Xing Yi Quan per day. I have only learned the most basic form of Pi Quan and Zuan Quan and I do 5 minutes of each. I sometimes do more, I try and stick with 5 minute rounds.

When I learn a new form, I add another 5 minute round for it. So, next will be 15 minutes, then 20. That way, my ability grows along with my learning and I do not go over my healthy limit. Keeps it consistent.

Added to this, is my QiGong practice. I do about 30 to 50 minutes of QiGong a day. I like to start with Xing Yi Quan to get my system moving, then move into Wild Goose and then some Medical QiGong/ Skill expanding forms/ Breath work. When I feel like it is good to do, I will add in some Yin Gong Jin.

My goal is to practice at least an hour and a half of MA, then two hours of QiGong. Of course, the IMA are also QiGong, so its lots of Qi cultivation! haha.

Peace.

My job is construction worker mainly as a carpenter, so one can understand practicing twice a day is chalenging but is starting to happen more. So I pratice Chi Qong plus Yang solo form, It all takes 45 mn minimum for a session.

When on free time, I it's different.

Now let's practice :)

Enjoy !

• Like 1

I was doing about 6 hours a day when I gave about my heart and soul into taijichuan.

Even when just ticking over and to stay in touch with taijichuan, I was doing about 90-120 minutes a day.

The details of what I was doing can be read in this thread, starting here

http://thetaobums.com/topic/24575-taijiquan-styles/page-3

A bit more in here

http://thetaobums.com/topic/28288-taiji-quan/

And scattered about here and there in various taijichuan threads

Taoistic Idiot

• Like 1

Only about an hour a day for me. When I was in China I was around a lot of people who are making it their life, though, at least for now. They did meditation, qigong and martial arts as though it was a 12 hour a day job. Live, eat and breathe it.

There are definitely still people doing it.

OK, now I will answer seriously.

it actually depends on you. What are your goals in life, what do you do?

If you are a busy buisnessman, you won't do 6 hours. In this case, the goal of your practise is to find balance in your life. "Training is not life, it just supports it".

In this case, if you can do thirty minutes every day, it is really good. It is actually better to do it on a regular basis, than 12 hours, and then nothing.

If you're a beginner, do not try to force yourself: enjoy your practice, and if you see some results, you'll like it, and therefore you'll do more. If it's just another chore, you won't sustain.

Now, there are indeed those who really do it for 12 hours a day. The lucky ones, those who have nothing else to do, monks, retired people and professionals... If you are in that category, go ahead and do it. But if you have a job, family, pets etc. you have to adapt. It doesn't mean that you won't learn it properly. After a while, every action you make can be a training occasion.

Edited by baiqi
  • Like 3

Warm up stretch then thirty minutes of qigong in the morning followed by Taiji short form done at a fairly slow pace. In the afternoon Taiji forms done slow then fast then I work on any problems I noticed. Throughout the course of the day, everyday all the time, I try to focus on relaxation and proper movement/body structure/breathing. Then on days off I tend to do about an hour to an hour and a half of qigong

• Like 1