dwai

Why one should do both Seated as well as Moving meditation

I have a regular tai chi practice and had a regular seated meditation practice for years in the past. I currently focus exclusively on Daoist meditation techniques which involve both still stance (standing) as well as seated meditation - the distinction between what I used to do before and now is that before I would sit and meditate on the breath, using breath and "ride" it to elongate the gap between thoughts, be in that gap.

That becomes easy after a while, but the challenge is to get to that state during moving meditation. Which is where a meditation like Taiji Chuan comes into play. The way we are taught Tai Chi in Temple Style Tai Chi is single form practice which eventually leads to long form practice.

So we practice forms like "Upward and downward", "inward and outward", "raised hands stance", "holding the tai chi ball stance" etc as multiple repetitions and eventually weave them together into a long form. The key is to maintain uninterrupted flow of energy during the forms and in the transitions between the forms.

Then there are standing and seated meditations which work on moving the energy inside as well as outside the body, connecting with the energy outside and vibrating the energy inside the body. In essence connecting and resonating with Yuan Chi (or Dao) - aka Dao gong.

It is a challenge to establish the stillness one gets from a pure seated practice or when in Corpse pose after Asana/pranayama practice in a moving practice such as Taiji Chuan or in Dao Gong.

I see posts here putting down seated meditation or moving meditation, etc. If you ask me, both are needed. Seated meditation gets us access to stillness far more quickly than moving meditation can. But moving meditation helps us take the stillness acquired with seated/still meditation into a more pragmatic setting, getting us ready for every day life.

Forgot to add the question - "What do you bums think about this?"

Edited by dwai
  • Like 5

Which is the function and purpose of the meditation?

What are you trying to accomplish?

Is all about stacking the deck in your favor, build the physical, energetic and spiritual muscles.

Moving meditation takes alot more practice and commitment than sitting meditation, do not rush it and take your time.

3 simple tips:

1. Always check your posture.

2. If the posture is correct, check your breathing.

3. If your posture and breathing are correct, check your energy.

• Like 1

Moving meditation takes alot more practice and commitment than sitting meditation,

I must disagree with this statement.

If anything, it's the other way around IME.

I must disagree with this statement. If anything, it's the other way around IME.

I guess it's different for everyone, but I also think sitting is generally more advanced and requires more practice.

This is because with moving meditation you can focus the mind on the body moving - sitting doesn't have this crutch.

You can also create distractions with sitting - but pure meditation doesn't have any crutch or reference point.

I'm only going to be addressing the energy/vitality aspect of cultivation with this.

During the moving meditations the energy gets stirred up and flows through your body more strongly if it's real type of nei kung. Also, a good nei kung movement regime will in addition generate more energy to flow.

Then when you do seated meditations right afterwards you get stronger results from from the energy 'task' at hand.

It's like stirring up sediment n a bucket of water and using it for benefit.

Then

Who can wait till the dust settles.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 2