zen-bear

Kung Fu Panda Lawsuit: Terence Dunn v. Dreamworks

the hotspot website link doesn't work by the way. Definitely need a website.

Try www.kungfulawsuit.com

or log onto Youtube, and then simply search using this string: "Eat Your Panda Dreamworks Michael Lachance "

• Like 1

I have watched by chance Kung Fu Panda 2 last saturday (didn't watch the first 'opus' so far).

The similarity between the movie characters ( the Panda and its crew, even with very minor changes) and the characters created by Terry Dunn is obvious to me.

Moreover, there is the 'inner peace' Taichi like dance we can see in the movie:

(Panda's sifu)

(I am Po)

(last battle)

First, I can see an obvious similarity with the

but more than that,the last scene is also very similar to the energy ball seen in the Zen-Bear animation.

Since I have not watched the first Kung-Fu Panda movie, I can't say more, but I can suppose that the similarities are even more evident.

It is sad to see how many obstacles Terry Dunn is facing in seeking redress.

Yes one of Dreamworks' agents, I believe, made it a point to call my lawyer to let her know that Dreamworks in Kung Fu Panda 2 used several of the key elements of my Zen-Bear Animated Logo seen here--

--in the battle scene in which their fat panda catches fiery cannon-balls and throws them one after another back at the villainous goose and his navy, seen here, starting at 2:30 (where they also copied my copyrighted artwork "Zen-Bear in Shoulder stroke (a Tai Chi posture btw, but reversed the positioning of their bear's palms and forearms):

Before the their panda's catching of and whirling around with fiery energy/cannon balls, it touches a drop of water falling down from the sky in a spiraling Yin Yang symbol. Identical to the spinning yin-yang in my logo. Very typical of this studio to flaunt its seemingly legal misappropriation of other people's work.

But these this particular rabble of businessmen believe that there is no God and no Universal Justice and that somehow the Universe doesn't operate according to the laws of karma.

So keep your eyes and ears open to the news in the coming 2 years. For it is a proven historic fact--at least in my experience --that such persons--i.e., the person and persons who persuaded Michael Lachance to lie about the fact that he had created the idea for the Kung Fu Panda film but did such a pathetically miserable job of coaching him how to present that lie at his deposition (for the videos of his deposition testimony clearly demonstrate that he did not create the idea for the movie) always learn their life's lessons by extreme paradox.

Edited by zen-bear

I looked a little more closely into this. An i noticed that even though kungfupandalawsuit.com is a great domain name it has an alexa ranking of 11 million and that it has no meta data or h1 tags.

If this website was to get

a meta tag

a site map

and some h1 tags

Then this site will grow in google and thus the awareness of it will grow as well.

If this is done right anytime someone would google kung fu panda the first thing they would see is kungfupandalawsuit.com ;)

Edited by zen-bear

Try www.kungfulawsuit.com

or log onto Youtube, and then simply search using this string: "Eat Your Panda Dreamworks Michael Lachance "

Ta.

Good Luck with your suit.

Hello Protector,

Don't worry, "this Dunn" won't lose it or do anythng rash or untimely.

Not only have I survived 4 years of litigation ag. this movie studio and its lawyers, and filed appeals all the way to the U.S Supreme Court, but I've been living with the alleged theft (obvious as it is by the videos of Lachance posted here) since May of 2002. That's 14 years. Surviving and maintaining my work this long has been the test of spiritual tests. I have too many people relying on me to teach them The Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi Kung of Taoist monk Feng Tao Teh of Ehrmeishan (created in 1644), one of 4 ancient monastic Qigong traditions that I preserve--along with Yang Tai Chi Chuan in the lineage of Cheng Man-Ching and William C.C. Chen, 3 styles of Kung Fu (Ehrmeishan White Tiger KF, Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir Method) from the Tang Dynasty, and Southern Shaolin 5 Animals Kung Fu (ah, which was MY inspiration for the 5 Animal Kung Fu masters teaching my Panda named Zen-Bear).

If you have any interest in authentic ancient Qigong system that works (and works almost instantly)--as to "modern" downstream hokum, visit this thread and start reading anywhere:

www.thetaobums.com/topic/12639-flying-phoenix-chi-kung/

Interesting how Dreamworks' movie franchise features 5 animal masters training their fat panda--a tiger, snake, crane, monkey, and a (tiny) praying mantis--whereas the original Shaolin 5 Animals Kung Fu, of which I am a certified master--is tiger, leopard, dragon,snake and crane. And these are the 5 Animals in my registered treatments and story outlines. My lawyers and I argued at trial that Dreamworks changed and rearranged my case of protagonists and antagonists, using 8 of the 11 animals I had scripted and had professionals illustrate (better artistically than than what they came up with, btw, IMHO). And my villains were rats, yellow monkeys, hyenas all under the leadership of a giant praying mantis. So as someone posted early on, this Hollywood studio chose to strip my story elements of all the cultural narrative and insult the ancient Shaolin tradition--by making "their" 5 animals a purely Hollywood contrivance.

Thanks for posting the link to that Simpsons episode about Bart and Lisa getting justice for the creator of "Itchy and Scratchy"! I saw that epis. when it aired like in 1996. I had completely forgotten about it till your posting. It was hilarious pick-me-up. I will take your posting of it as prophecy and inspiration!

Thanks for your and everyone's empathy and support.

Sifu Terry Dunn

P.S. I won't mind if you forward these links:

www.youtube/result?query=eat+your+panda+michael+lachance+dreamworks

www.kungfupandalawsuit.com

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

I really do hope you win your case, as you obviously put a lot of time and effort into this. I can imagine how frustrating it is to be fighting against a huge company earning millions from the franchise, making yours appear to be the imitation.

The hardest part about all this though, is that both stories are based on Chinese martial arts that adapt the use of Chinese animal arts. I suppose they are arguing the case that neither side was entirely original as both are based on Chinese mythology/martial arts...and therefore is more a case of who has the better marketing.

Did they use any of the storylines from your series? (disregarding the main characters, as again they can argue that theirs is a story about Chinese culture and therefore a panda is representative of the theme)

Again, best of luck and well done for making it this far...if they copied actual parts of the story line - stick with it. As a genuine piece of advice though, know when to give up if it looks like the tide is not turning in your favour. Otherwise, it could waste further years of fruitless effort. I know that's horrible to hear...I've lost businesses in the past too and it's always a hard decision to make.

• Thanks 1

Just a humble taobump to bring this to the top to increase awareness about Sifu Terry's lawsuit with dreamworks. As Kung fu Panda 3 is going to be released later this year appearantly more awareness should be spread about this.

What are the latest updates on this Sifu Terry?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a humble taobump to bring this to the top to increase awareness about Sifu Terry's lawsuit with dreamworks. As Kung fu Panda 3 is going to be released later this year appearantly more awareness should be spread about this.

What are the latest updates on this Sifu Terry?

Hi ZenYogi,

Thank you for asking--and sorry for taking this long(!) to give you a reply.  The 1.5 year delay in response gives you an indication of the level of pressure and oppressive fallout I've had to deal with after Dreamworks prevailed against me in my lawsuit against it for breach of contract in August 2011 and then was able to quash an almost bullet-proof appeal to get a new trial in Calif. Appeals Court in April 2013.  My lawyers and I contend that my Petition for Retrial heard in April 2013 should have been granted immediately by default (because Dreamworks' written opposition had no counter-argument whatsoever for any of my grounds for a new trial citing 4 classes of "reversible error" (as defined by state law) that were blatantly committed by a prejudiced trial judge in instructing the jury), but instead was summarily denied with no legal reasoning whatsoever that rose above "because we say so." 

That said, one update is the uploading to the internet last week of this newly expanded informational Timeline that describes and documents my 16+ year development of my "Zen-Bear, the Kung Fu Panda" project starting in 1991, my in-person and telephonic communications with Dreamworks executives from Nov. 20, 2001 to April 12, 2002, and all the events leading up to the filing of my first lawsuit ag. Dreamworks Animation on June 1, 2010.

http://www.kungfupandalawsuit.com/Timeline_Hotspots_New.html

Please share this link far and wide.  This Exhibit, where almost every dated event captioned in a vertical "cell" on the Timeline is also linked to corroborating documents, presents overwhelming evidence that Dreamworks did indeed steal all the story elements that I pitched to it over the  5 month period end April 12, 2002, and then published in the press in June of 2002 a very clumsy and sloppy defensive posture that it would contradict 9 years later with its "new" trial defense theory of "independent creation"--all resting on the shoulders of this transparently lying butterball known as Michael Lachance. This is kind of entertaining (in a sick way) if you simply look at the May 29-June 2002 cell on the Timeline, and then scroll to the far right and read the last 5 cells dated March 15, 2011 and later.  Under the June 6, 2011 cell describing Michael Lachance's videotaped deposition, there are links to 7 of what I call his "greatest hits".  All 15 video clips are available on this Youtube channel known as "Eat Your Panda":  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC83iB8wGWMa8fgqWS8qFD-w

The new TIMELINE is an in-depth reference exhibit for anyone, including law enforcement, to closely examine the anatomy of idea theft in Hollywood.  Further details and all the implications of the information on this Timeline will be revealed in my forthcoming book as well, titled (what else), "The Theft of Kung Fu Panda," and in a series of book excerpts and web articles coming soon.

Part 2 of my update:  I can publicly announce at this time that I will soon be filing in federal court in Los Angeles a copyright infringement lawsuit against Dreamworks Animation over it's use of my story ideas that I had pitched to the studio on Nov. 20, 2001.  Even though I lost a Round One litigation in 2011 alleging breach of implied contract, in which the jury voted 11-to-1 that an implied contract did existed betw. Dreamworks and myself (i.e. the jury believed I pitched what I said I had pitched) but voted 9-to-3 that Dreamworks did NOT use my ideas (an anomalous verdict that was totally rigged by an extremely prejudiced judge who committed 4 classes of reversible error in instructing the jury), for this case in federal court, I am alleging that Dreamworks copied my artworks, animation themes, and other creative expressions that I had created since 1992 and that were all transmitted to Dreamworks during the discovery phase of the first trial.  This pending case is based on Dreamworks copying some of my "Zen-Bear Kung Fu Panda" art designs (all protected by registered copyrights) and story elements (beyond the contents of my pitch to the studio in Nov. 2001)  and using them in their Kung Fu Panda 2 and KF Panda 3 movies, and also possibly in numerous ancillary products (merchandise).   Whereas in the 2011 trial, the trial judge only instructed the jury to compare my pitch to the first KF Panda movie (released June 2008) and to determine whether their movie was substantially similar to the contents of my pitch. 

The homepage of the governing "kungfupandalawsuit.com" website is currently undergoing a massive overhaul, and will go online in about 1 or 2 weeks.

Thanks to all for your support of Justice.

Sifu Terence Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

• Like 3

Although I've never had anything published, I've done enough writing to be able to imagine how crappy it would be to come up with and flesh out an idea, only to have someone else snatch it and claim it as their own to the whole world. I really hope your next legal action pulls through, corporations shouldn't be able to get away with that kind of blatant plagiarism.

Just a thought, have you considered creating some kind of video documentary, to give a visual narrative to your case and your legal struggle? You could introduce yourself to put a personal face on the whole issue, give details about your kung fu training which lead to the inspiration for the concept, then outline your own creative process and the theft by Dreamworks which you've laid out in the timeline, show direct visual and narrative comparisons between your own creation and their movies, include clips from the court cases, and then tell viewers what they can do to help out. A kind of mini-documentary.

Your timeline is detailed, but people have short attention spans these days, and even if they read it and repost/retweet it, they're likely to forget it by the end of the day. Taking everything and tying it into a single major video which would be easy for people to both watch and to spread would grab a lot of attention, especially if you manage to get it to some major mainstream or alternative media outlets (even something like an appearance in a major podcast would draw a lot of attention to your case).

I don't know if it's feasible, or even wise from a legal perspective, but it seems like these kind of videos and documentaries are the quickest ways to gain public traction for a cause, and even if the legal system fails you, this would give you a chance to put your story out there and let people know the truth.

Good luck Sifu Terry.

• Like 1

From an old Team 'Murica propaganda article that completely ignores the TRUTH behind this movie:

PH2008071103385.jpg

BEIJING -- The blockbuster success of an American animated movie that's set in ancient China, highlights Chinese culture, mythology and architecture and stars a kung fu fighting panda has filmmakers and ordinary Chinese wondering: Why wasn't this hit made . . . in China?

blame a lack of imagination

Of course, the irony is that HOLLYWOOD is the one who lacks imagination...and thus STOLE this whole idea from a Chinese immigrant!

Plaintiff Terry Dunn discloses 1992 creation date of his original concept of a Kung-Fu-fighting panda bear and other story elements, which he alleges in his lawsuit were stolen by Dreamworks executives Lance Young and Michael Lachance in 2002 following his "Zen-Bear®" pitch and subsequent discussions.

The new TIMELINE is an in-depth reference exhibit for anyone, including law enforcement, to closely examine the anatomy of idea theft in Hollywood.  Further details and all the implications of the information on this Timeline will be revealed in my forthcoming book as well, titled (what else), "The Theft of Kung Fu Panda," and in a series of book excerpts and web articles coming soon.

...Welcome to Murica!!! B)

18355748eeeha_sm.jpeg

Edited by gendao
  • Like 1

the hotspot website link doesn't work by the way.  Definitely need a website.

It's taken a long test of patience and faith over several years to get out from under the fall-out of this I.P. theft that took place in 2002 and to see the karmic cycle finally approach just resolution 14 years later.  So 2 weeks ago, I uploaded to the web this enhanced Timeline Exhibit:

--especially with people working in news media and internet news.  It's finally time to get the full story out through a forthcoming book, national magazine articles, and web news articles.

The governing website for this Timeline exhibit,

http://www.kungfupandalawsuit.com,

is going a major overhaul and renovation from its 2012 version and will be up soon.

Thanks for your support of Universal Justice--i.e., perfected justice.

Best,

Sifu Terence Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

From an old Team 'Murica propaganda article that completely ignores the TRUTH behind this movie:

Of course, the irony is that HOLLYWOOD is the one who lacks imagination...and thus STOLE this whole idea from a Chinese immigrant!

...Welcome to Murica!!! B)

18355748eeeha_sm.jpeg

Gendao,

Thank you for making this point.  In June 2008, right after dreamworks' Kung Fu Panda was released worldwide and in China, Chinese cultural leaders were actually asking each other:  "How come no one in China came up with such a creative and innovative idea?"  And "How could we let the Americans take China's national symbol, the panda, and one of its cultural treasures, martial arts, and turn it into American low-brow, slap-stick Jack Black humor?"  There were plenty of Chinese foreheads banging on walls inside the Cultural Ministry in self-recrimination.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/11/AR2008071103281.html

Reading about such reactions to Kung fu Panda within China of course just added salt to the wound of Dreamworks theft in 2002 intellectual property theft (as I will allege in a forthcoming copyright infringement suit in federal court). 

*If you look closely at Timeline's  May 29-June 2, 2002 cell linking to the Hollywood Reporter article and then review the monumental trial defense theory contained in Chris Kuser's March 15, 2011 signed Declaration with 27 attached documents, you will see how much money, energy, brain-power, and diabolical thinking Dreamworks spent in creating this totally bogus defense theory--all ordered buy Jeffrey Katzenberg (who said at trial "the buck stops here (with me)" and carried out by Dreamworks lawyers at Loeb & Loeb, which all unravels and stands as a brazen lie to hide its theft forever because its lynchpin, Michael Lachance, is seen lying transparently as the professed creator of the Kung fu Panda movie idea in his deposition videos.  Lachance's performance as a bad liar in this whole sickening affair is at least  entertaining.

At any rate, 5 years after my first trial was derailed by a prejudiced trial judge and 3 years after my first appeal was quashed by what my lawyers and I content is public corruption in the California Court of Appeals, anger no longer clouds my will, and now it's steady dispassionate work on my part to get the entire story of Dreamworks' method of idea theft that I testified to at trial in 2011--which my lawyers and I believe includes witness tampering, fabrication fo evidence, and bribery of public officals-- out via news media, publishing, and the internet.   Forthcoming is a book with titled (what else?):  "The Theft of Kung Fu Panda".  Also a series of national magazine articles by the two most respected journalists in America specializing in reporting on complex big business scandals  (e.g., 2008 financial meltdown and a recent big pharma scandal) , and a new copyright infringement suit that I will be filing in the near future.

Again, the whole story of my development of Zen-Bear, the Kung Fu Panda, and my communications with dramworks is contained on this  Timeline exhibit that I recently updated:

(The governing website is currently being overhauled and updated and will be up in a week or two.)

Thanks for your support, for seeing into the heart of this matter, and for sharing the truth far and wide.

Terence Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2014 at 5:36 PM, GrandmasterP said:

Any outcome yet?

No. Still not yet.  12 years after the derailment of justice.
But perfected Justice will come soon.
Being Chinese, and being well advised, I am playing The Long Game.

www.taichimania.com

terencedunn.substack.com

• Like 1