Sign in to follow this  
Taomeow

How do you report a trolling pattern in a thread rather than a particular post?

With an offensive post you hit the Report button -- what if it's not a post obligingly studded with quotable and actionable insults, but instead a carefully crafted derailing/trolling pattern of multiple posts in a thread? What is the best current procedure to point this out to the mods and ask for assistance?

Also, if a poster was suspended before for the same kind of trolling, do the new mods check for this kind of information currently? If a poster has already been suspended for this a while ago and is at it again, are the mods aware? and if they are, how does it influence current modding action?

• Like 5

How I personally do it, is I just choose one post (usually the most recent one) in the thread, and mention that this has happened several times in the thread.

If it is the thread I'm thinking of, I have reported it asking for a pitting of it, so the mods have at least read it I figure, so they will know what you mean.

• Like 3

(deleted to consolidate posts)

(deleted to consolidate posts)

Sorry... Your not following the rules.

Look at 1 billion posts on the internet and how many are doing what you are doing?

Common sense alone answers it.

Your pulling your own interpretation and going against every convention and logic and sense in forum posting.

That this even needs to be explained shows the problem itself.

Response below:

If I had not consolidated my posts which is what I am supposed to be doing we'd be having a near identical conversation right now.

The problem is this really isn't about how many posts, or how few posts are made, what it is really about is you want a special rule you that can be used to stop dissent when it is aimed at a popular group opinion.

You already have that available via locking and pitting threads.

This isn't trolling, it's following the rules, as multiple posts now are considered spam.

Your implementation of your interpretation is asking us to believe you are doing exactly what mods asked?

I for one am not that incredulous. What they said was rather clear but what your doing is not what they asked.

Your making a grandstand mockery of the board, mods, and members with this.

Just reply to a post and leave previous replies where they are... and where they belong.

My feeling is you can only play this game so long.

Response below:

I would like to do that dawei, we both know that is not an option.

I've done my best to consolidate my posts, now I am using spoilers labeled by each persons name so the comments are easily available.

I am not playing a game, I am following the rules. Yes seriously.

With an offensive post you hit the Report button -- what if it's not a post obligingly studded with quotable and actionable insults, but instead a carefully crafted derailing/trolling pattern of multiple posts in a thread? What is the best current procedure to point this out to the mods and ask for assistance?

Also, if a poster was suspended before for the same kind of trolling, do the new mods check for this kind of information currently? If a poster has already been suspended for this a while ago and is at it again, are the mods aware? and if they are, how does it influence current modding action?

Response below:

Just in case this is aimed at me, I have never been suspended that I remember.

I was giving a warning for spamming by creating too many new posts per thread, as there was no rule in place for that prior.

I was told to consolidate my posts to prevent this "spam" in the future and that's what I have done.

I've done my best to format one post containing spoilers each attributed to the person they were directed at so people could more easily view it.

The thing is I take an extremely unpopular stance, that a very popular teacher is spreading misinformation.

I only brought up this topic again as these claims I believe to be misinformation were again brought up, and brought into conversation.

This isn't intended to troll anyone, it's a disagreement, and a highly unpopular one.

If you are going to say no one here is allowed to argue against what they perceive as misinformation you might as well go ahead and shut this forum down.

Just my $0.02

Edited by BaguaKicksAss

I was giving a warning for spamming by creating too many new posts per thread, as there was no rule in place for that prior.

I was told to consolidate my posts to prevent this "spam" in the future and that's what I have done.

Your implementation of your interpretation is asking us to believe you are doing exactly what mods asked?

I for one am not that incredulous. What they said was rather clear but what your doing is not what they asked.

Your making a grandstand mockery of the board, mods, and members with this.

Just reply to a post and leave previous replies where they are... and where they belong.

My feeling is you can only play this game so long.

• Like 2

MPG, I think maybe getting with the person who told you the posting guidelines to get specifics (and more detail) might be a good idea at this point...

• Like 1

Sorry... Your not following the rules.

Look at 1 billion posts on the internet and how many are doing what you are doing?

Common sense alone answers it.

Your pulling your own interpretation and going against every convention and logic and sense in forum posting.

That this even needs to be explained shows the problem itself.

• Like 2

my understanding is that this is an admin decision to make.

http://thetaobums.com/topic/32483-admins-decision-re-current-ruckus-yinyang-mo-pai-etc/

from trunk to mpg;

"More_Pie_Guy
Rule: Spam
Action: warning (next infraction gets a suspension)

This was the most difficult to rule on, and the oddest ruling because I am warning you (by admin's prerogative) on a rule that didn't fully exist yet."

when i became a mod in the summer and was joined by 2 other new mods. at that time there were no experienced mods waiting to bring us along and get us up to speed. we did have an admin, viator, who did a remarkable job of getting us to understand how all the buttons worked etc and altho he did offer input and opinion, he also allowed us mods to find our own way and decisions. the trolling/derailing/spamming subject was being discussed. however before any definitive resolution was agreed upon, the other 2 mods decided that modding was not for them. then 2 new mods again, but no real discussion on this subject of trolling/derailing/spamming. then the 'admin preogative' ruling. and those 2 mods now former mods as well.

so one thing i think the board needs to be aware of is that there is not a continuous mod team in place that has had the opportunity to stabilize and come to a consistant view on a few subjects.

and while the previous discussions about trolling/derailing/spamming were focused on other members and their trolling/derailing/spamming styles and not on more-pie-guy specifically. at this time from my perspective this is something worked out between trunk and mpg and not by the mods.

there was a final note to mpg and to the board from trunk

"Note: I am cautious that this clarification/expansion of the "spam" rule will be abused by others wanting to shut down dissenting views. I want to guard against that abuse of this rule. Solution: this rule is only to be applied in extreme cases."

• Like 5

Taomeow, I didn't answer earlier as I'm not a mod and wanted the mods to reply, but as to your second question, yes the mods do keep track of previous actions/suspensions/bans (best they can anyways) with members. Though a mod could clarify that better I'm sure :).

• Like 1

my understanding is that this is an admin decision to make.

http://thetaobums.com/topic/32483-admins-decision-re-current-ruckus-yinyang-mo-pai-etc/

from trunk to mpg;

"More_Pie_Guy

Rule: Spam

Action: warning (next infraction gets a suspension)

This was the most difficult to rule on, and the oddest ruling because I am warning you (by admin's prerogative) on a rule that didn't fully exist yet."

there was a final note to mpg and to the board from trunk

"Note: I am cautious that this clarification/expansion of the "spam" rule will be abused by others wanting to shut down dissenting views. I want to guard against that abuse of this rule. Solution: this rule is only to be applied in extreme cases."

Here is the reality:

The SPAM rule was directly mentioned to one member, although I can think of others which might apply at times...

but that one member took dramatic change in posting actions and claims the "mods told him to do this".

If the mods told him to delete EVERY POST and CONSOLIDATE VERY POST... and to put EVERY POST in the very LAST POST...

Then all the mods needs to be fired and replace with common sense.

If on the other hand.... what they said was not understand and not followed properly... then it should be easy to remedy.

The lack of timely remedy is becoming more a concern than the inability to apply common sense to posting as the rest of the world posts.

"Then all the mods needs to be fired and replace with common sense."

did you read where i posted that 4 of 5 mods since july are already no longer modding?

you are free to send a pm to viator, trunk, or sean and tell them that you are interested in modding. :)

when admin tells a mod that this is an issue for admin to rule on, then what do you expect the mods to do?

"mods told him to do this" that is not accurate. mods had nothing to do with that ruling.

• Like 3

"Then all the mods needs to be fired and replace with common sense."

did you read where i posted that 4 of 5 mods since july are already no longer modding?

you are free to send a pm to viator, trunk, or sean and tell them that you are interested in modding. :)

when admin tells a mod that this is an issue for admin to rule on, then what do you expect the mods to do?

"mods told him to do this" that is not accuarate. mods had nothing to do with that ruling.

Your a step behind on the advice... thanks.

But he has claimed he was "told to do this"... that nobody corrects this gross misunderstanding and lets threads get overrun with such application is very bothersome.

• Like 1

The lack of timely remedy is becoming more a concern than the inability to apply common sense to posting as the rest of the world posts.

But he has claimed he was "told to do this"... that nobody corrects this gross misunderstanding and lets threads get overrun with such application is very bothersome.

My understanding is that MPG is doing his best to do as directed, is not trying to be deliberately annoying, but does want to express his opinion.

Dawei, like us, we will need to wait for for clarification from admin regarding this matter.

• Like 4

My understanding is that MPG is doing his best to do as directed, is not trying to be deliberately annoying, but does want to express his opinion.

Dawei, like us, we will need to wait for for clarification from admin regarding this matter.

Please explain what he was directed to do, and if he is interpreting and implementing it correctly?

And as a common sense reality check: Have you ever seen in the 1 billion posts on the internet this method of posting?

Can you give your perspective right now?

Edited by dawei

Can you give your perspective right now?

Yes and its

My understanding is that MPG is doing his best to do as directed [added: by Trunk as admin], is not trying to be deliberately annoying, but does want to express his opinion.

Dawei, like us, we will need to wait for clarification from admin regarding this matter.

Edit to add: I'm not trying to be evasive. I have some history and experience at moderating TTB and making a fast decision when you are unsure on something new has generally not worked out well.

and yes i have seen something like "1 billion posts on the internet" eg Mak Tin Sun (IIRC) flooding the board with posts.

• Like 2

Give dude some credit will ya, him and I (as a friend not as staff) tried to problem solve his posting style via chat for a good chunk of yesterday. (well OK there were some distractions with me trying to convert hi to 90's thrash metal, but still ;) )

Yeah I know good intentions don't change anything, but it's not like (in this case) he's *trying* to anger everyone.

PS tech is still hoping to pit that "3rd yin qi* thread :D :D

• Like 2

Give dude some credit will ya, him and I (as a friend not as staff) tried to problem solve his posting style via chat for a good chunk of yesterday. (well OK there were some distractions with me trying to convert hi to 90's thrash metal, but still ;) )

Yeah I know good intentions don't change anything, but it's not like (in this case) he's *trying* to anger everyone.

PS tech is still hoping to pit that "3rd yin qi* thread :D :D

Give which dude... or dudess some credit? :D

I appreciate all of you guys (and gals... don't ask why I put gals in parens, it is probably a bad habit) <_<

Thanks to all the mods/techs/admins/etc who wanted to chime in... :)

• Like 2

I meant someone else. If trolls troll the hell out of the rest of the forum, there's a zillion other forums for "general" topics, there's plenty of room to run and hide all across the world wide popsicle-sucking web. I don't want this happening at the taoist forum.

Every time Quanzhen is mentioned, it happens. Every time Longmen Pai is mentioned, it happens. If the new mods ever saw Battlestar Galactica, they would appreciate why "it all happened before, and it will all happen again" is a very sad quote, a comment on unavoidable, unstoppable destruction.

Well, at least I hereby inform them that it all happened before, some of it with the same players, and every time it happens, the forum loses the intangibles -- all the potential contributions from posters with a clue who get trolled and hounded out of any desire to contribute. Not claiming that I am one of them, I would like to mention, just a propos, that I haven't started a taoist-proper topic in a long time, and have stopped talking about my main practice altogether, and I know for a fact I'm not the only one (PMs from the overtrolled and underprotected.) But I've been around this block, I've seen it all here and as many times as I was going to leave, I remembered that "it all happened before and it will all happen again," and this either soothed me or paralyzed the "delete bookmark" click hovering, swooping down... can't quite tell which. Maybe I'm just a creature of habit, all cats are, but not all taoists -- some vote with their feet as soon as they get burned once. Not everybody can tolerate badmouthing of their schools and teachers by online bots or whatever those programs are that they are running, these trolling automatons.

Have we lost the War on Trolling or something?..

• Like 1

If no one reports such things, then the mods don't notice (they have lives I figure lol), and also they likely figure everyone is OK with the happenings...

I'm sure you could also PM one of the mods, but I have seen previous posts giving us all hell for not including links (I'm very guilty of this lol) so do keep that in mind ;).

• Like 1

Thanks, BKA. I was just wondering if there is an autopilot method for threads, in existence or in the pipeline, as efficient as the red Report button for individual posts. Incidentally, since stepping down as a mod, I only tried reporting something once by hitting the Report button, and there was no response and no action, so I don't know anymore if the red button is working either. Didn't follow up because members have lives too. :D So, trying to find out what currently works, and what works best.

• Like 1

Thanks, BKA. I was just wondering if there is an autopilot method for threads, in existence or in the pipeline, as efficient as the red Report button for individual posts. Incidentally, since stepping down as a mod, I only tried reporting something once by hitting the Report button, and there was no response and no action, so I don't know anymore if the red button is working either. Didn't follow up because members have lives too. :D So, trying to find out what currently works, and what works best.

Yes the report button still works :). Just a mention of "posts number 1, 14 28, 42" in the area where you can put the comment would probably help.

I've heard back about some of my reports and not others, it seems to depend on how much of an issue it is sort of thing I think.

• Like 1

I thank everyone for the feedback, explanations and the big picture. Much appreciated.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 2

Yes the report button still works :). Just a mention of "posts number 1, 14 28, 42" in the area where you can put the comment would probably help.

I've heard back about some of my reports and not others, it seems to depend on how much of an issue it is sort of thing I think.

But a link to a post and and post number is mute if one is moving the cheese around at will... ;)

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this