SonOfTheGods

300 Year Old Carved Tibetan Skull

http://www.lightmindedfriends.com/2013/04/18/300-year-old-carved-tibetan-skull/

skull_carved.jpg

Skulls have long been associated with healing and the energy of ancestors, as well as the seat of the soul and mind in life. Skulls often represent overcoming illness and death, or the detachment from suffering and earthly pain.

In India and Tibet, skulls were made into ritual cups and bowls and filled with food offerings to deities. Many depictions of Tibetan deities show a skull cup in one of the left hands, from which the deity drinks blood. This is especially true of the ‘wrathful’ deities who protect the path to enlightenment and sever our connections to desire and suffering.

• Like 6

.. never mind, couldn't 'paste' some smiley day of the dead sugar skulls.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

In that area, like Nepal/Tibet/etc, they've made human bone malas from the skulls of deceased monks. They do sky burials, where the bodies are left out to be eaten by vultures...then the still living monks would collect the skull bones and fashion them into beads. You can still find these human bone malas around. They're used in wrathful deity practices.

rarekapalabead88881-2.jpg

At least personally I think it'd be pretty nasty. lol

• Like 3

In that area, like Nepal/Tibet/etc, they've made human bone malas from the skulls of deceased monks. They do sky burials, where the bodies are left out to be eaten by vultures...then the still living monks would collect the skull bones and fashion them into beads. You can still find these human bone malas around. They're used in wrathful deity practices.

The site you linked is most likely selling animal (not human) bone, or just random people's skull beads. I have looked it over before :).

Imagine though, having 120 monks from your very own lineage hanging out with you. I think if done in a sacred and respectful manner it is OK.

All this has nothing on osuaries!

Kostnice_Sedlec.JPG

• Like 5

SonoftheGods ... that is AWESOME

I need that ! For …. Reasons.

I used to have a selection of that sort of stuff, mostly magical implements ... still have the brass (?) phurba (I wish I had kept the iron ones) and some large size skull mala (but yak bone). Oh yeah I still have the Kartika

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Kartika&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=vPeSUqGpF4aEiAeQiICoAw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1051&bih=450

:blink:

Oh DAMN that IS NOT how you spell it … ummm the Tibetan sword Kardiga ???

No … anyway what ever it is called, it has a dragon head handle and the blade is the dragon’s breath with flames on the end I think kartika IS the skull chopper though (what a name for a woman !!! )

I mean this critter; “ Manjushree sword is also known as sword of wisdom. In Buddhist thought, it is this sword that one uses to cut through ignorance, and reveals the true nature of reality.”

http://tibetanhandloom.com/product_img/manjushree-sword-for-web.jpg

Except I painted some stuff on it and used it in a Goetic working .

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

My favourite skull is Pope Whatsisname (Cant remember but he is listed in David Yallop's Book 'Vicars of Christ - a History of the Popes' - one of the weirdest and sickest books I have read ;) )

He was a good Pope and died so they preserved his remains.

Two Popes later ... hey wait a minute that guy wasn't that good after all, lets desecrate his remains and throw them over the Vatican wall.

People outside the 'Heavenly Estate' go 'No he WAS a good guy' and look after the remains.

New Pope, hang on he was a good guy, bring em back,

Next Pope, he was a GREAT guy ... lets fix the body up, patch it up and dress it all nicely and give him a nice spot.

Next Pope ... Nah, he was a real arsehole ... the only way to get to this bottom of this is a full inquisition.

Inquisition meets and dead Pope is put on trail ... but he wont even answer the questions ... even when they hit him with a stick ... all that does is make his arm fall off.

Okay, over the wall with him again.

next Pope ... the poor guy, get him back ... he is a saint ... what? Only the head left ... Okay we will have that.

next Pope ... he was a truly great guy, lets decorate his skull with Jewels for eyes and nose and insert some gold and silver inlay, actually , lets stick jewels all over it (we need to use them up somehow) and give him a GREAT spot.

next Pope (?) somehow spent ALL the money and totally bankrupted the Vatican - no one seems to know how he did that ?

next Pope discovers all the jewels and gold and silver had been prised off the skull.

And that's how it sits today at the Vatican ... the plane skull with the marks of where the jewels and metals WERE .

What a guy ! :unsure:

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

Ooooo! I like this what do you keep in there?

You mean *who*? ;)

Actually not mine, just a photo from google. My personal artifacts do not get posted publically!

I actually own a Mala that looks exactly like this, i bought in Nepal, it came from Tibet.

The store owner told me it was made of OX bone, but i wouldn't be surprised if it was human skull

Its all a bit macabre and left hand pathish for my taste. But very interesting all the same.

• Like 2

Yep.

My reaction tends towards...

" EW!"

Once stayed at a guest house in India that was a bit to close to some Parsee 'Towers of Silence' where they did sky burial for raptors to dispose of the cadavers.

Some of the stuff the vultures dropped in the guest house garden militated against us breakfasting on the verandah.

Each to their own though.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

I actually own a Mala that looks exactly like this, i bought in Nepal, it came from Tibet.

The store owner told me it was made of OX bone, but i wouldn't be surprised if it was human skull

As it's semi-legal, if legal at all, and maybe more difficult to get human skull from Tibet, I would be surprised if you got one made of human bones for the price and with the declaration of being Ox ;-)

Edited by Yascra

As it's semi-legal, if legal at all, and maybe more difficult to get human skull from Tibet, I would be surprised if you got one made of human bones for the price and with the declaration of being Ox ;-)

i dunnoooo it looks pretty old.

but ur prolly right

Edited by MooNiNite

No dis intended but that skull looks like resin to me.

I've got a resin QuanYin from China exactly that colour and patina.

Is that 'Om Mani Padme Hum' round the jawbone?

Edited by GrandmasterP