1. Yap Soon-Yeong

2. Barry Long

3. Dirk Oellibrandt

4. Burgs

5. Barry Spendlove

Do they need to be in this dimension? In reverse order of appearance:

Alx Utterman and Jonathan Rosen (Sri Kaleshwar's lineage)

Yogani (advancedyogapractices.com)

The Taobums plus misc taoist authors

Teacher Chiang (Kagyu, recently croaked, she's a total scream, but no web presence.)

Lama Norlha (Kagyu.com) & misc Tibetan lamas (kagyu.org etc)

Yes..sorry I wasn't clear enough..all present and alive in this dimension and also in physical form :lol:

Oh, good! A rule that I can break! :D

Recently I've been doing Kuan Yin devotional stuff, and find it very helpful. So, she-he would have to be #1 on the list these days. #2 would have to be Tsongkhapa, as when I've read his Lam Rim Chenmo regularly, it taps me into some colorful patterns. Blending one's mindstream with the guru, the lineage, the deities, is really a fundamental practice - hooks me up to progressions that .. unlikely I'd ever get on my own.

So, on to living teachers .. who I haven't been hanging out with recently, but still.

#3 H.H. Karmapa

#4 Yangsi Kalu Rinpoche

#5 Mark Griffin

All five have Kagyu connections; it seems to be what I'm drawn to.

(Though Tsongkhapa founded the Gelug lineage, he had strong Kagyu influence.)

B)

Nan Huai-Chin

Plus my Taiji teacher H. Won Gim, my chi kung teacher Yi Wu and my healing teacher Anatoliy.

P.S. ...and Jesus

Edited by Smile

Trunk,

I hadn't realized the extent of our Kagyu overlap! Have you done the foundational practices? I could never get past the prostrations, so in a sense, I never became an "official" Kagyu.

Yoda

I hadn't realized the extent of our Kagyu overlap! Have you done the foundational practices? I could never get past the prostrations, so in a sense, I never became an "official" Kagyu.
Likewise.

All five? I kinda didn't realize it myself until I listed it all out. One of the reasons I like Kuan Yin is that she's in every eastern religion, so I can roam and fit in everywhere. But, obviously, something is going on with Kagyu & me - not something I planned, happened by feel.

To answer your question, no, I haven't taken up the external formal Tibetan path - and currently I don't think it's something I'm going to do. It's so, so extensive and ornate, and many of the things (including nongdro) are either beyond me or inappropriate for me. That doesn't mean that I can't augment inner connections and, imho, that's where much of the path is. So, externally, I'm hodge-podging it together, internally Kagyu.

The traditional Tibetan path isn't suited for modern life in general, imo. I mean, I'm in support of preserving the traditional system, practices, knowledge, but there also has to be a version of "Tibetan Lite". Their society was just saturated by religion, they got a lot of it growing up, plus basically their university system was monasteries. So I could see how their path could be done like that, but in modern life, outside of Dharamsala, I think it'd be very rare that people complete that sort of training (I know some people are doing it, but jeez).

btw, I saw Kalu about 10 yrs ago when he was in L.A., he was - I think - 6 yrs old at the time. It was one of the most profound, amazing experiences I've ever had. I tear up just thinking about it. If you ever get a chance to get a glimpse of him in the flesh, I highly recommend it. Mark studied with him during his previous incarnation and when ever he mentions him, says something along the lines that he was "enlightened, in the extreme".

Little story about seeing Kalu in L.A.:

I didn't know what to expect; I was there because Mark had studied with Kalu. I was just sitting there, normal, not anxious nor excited, just sitting there. This was in a little church in Santa Monica, and all the pews were packed, and I had a seat near the back. So, Kalu walks in from the front of the chapel, (he's short, being only 6 yrs old) and I got a glimpse, and I mean a glimpse of him walking through all the taller adults: I burst into tears. I mean, from totally normal, no build-up, to instant full out crying like a baby. Then Kalu walked climbed up into his seat where he was in full view, and I fell into a deep meditation that lasted the rest of the time. On the way driving home, I thought, "he's so beautiful" and started crying so hard I had to pull over.

The traditional Tibetan path isn't suited for modern life in general, imo. I mean, I'm in support of preserving the traditional system, practices, knowledge, but there also has to be a version of "Tibetan Lite". Their society was just saturated by religion, they got a lot of it growing up, plus basically their university system was monasteries. So I could see how their path could be done like that, but in modern life, outside of Dharamsala, I think it'd be very rare that people complete that sort of training (I know some people are doing it, but jeez).

I`m not sure it`s that rare. And actually a lot of Tibetan Buddhists say that in the west Vajrayana is "Lite" compared to Tibet and India, so....

I like Kuan Yin too, but different "version" hehe, Avalokiteshvara, but I haven`t "delved" into him much so far.

I didn't know what to expect; I was there because Mark had studied with Kalu. I was just sitting there, normal, not anxious nor excited, just sitting there. This was in a little church in Santa Monica, and all the pews were packed, and I had a seat near the back. So, Kalu walks in from the front of the chapel, (he's short, being only 6 yrs old) and I got a glimpse, and I mean a glimpse of him walking through all the taller adults: I burst into tears. I mean, from totally normal, no build-up, to instant full out crying like a baby. Then Kalu walked climbed up into his seat where he was in full view, and I fell into a deep meditation that lasted the rest of the time. On the way driving home, I thought, "he's so beautiful" and started crying so hard I had to pull over.

Very beautiful story, thank you for sharing. :)

In my masters' house there ia a beautiful dedication to Kaun Yin. And the heavenly Qi in the house is AMAZING

For centuries, Kuan Yin has epitomized the great ideal of Mahayana Buddhism in her role as "bodhisattva (Chinese "p'u-sa)--literally "a being of Bodhi, or enlightenment," who is destined to become a Buddha but has foregone the bliss of Nirvana with a vow to save all children of God.

Praise. Praise. Praise.

kuanyin.jpg

Edited by mat black

btw, I saw Kalu about 10 yrs ago when he was in L.A., he was - I think - 6 yrs old at the time. It was one of the most profound, amazing experiences I've ever had. I tear up just thinking about it. If you ever get a chance to get a glimpse of him in the flesh, I highly recommend it. Mark studied with him during his previous incarnation and when ever he mentions him, says something along the lines that he was "enlightened, in the extreme".

Wonderful.

Would you indulge my complete and utter ignorance just a tiny bit? Who is he? Where does he live? What's the story?

Ian,

Kalu Rinpoche Senior was called the hardest working lama in the business. The Karmapa and the Dalai Lama would be the first to tell you that. Even as a very old man, he did an insane number of prostrations per day... would've whooped Furey, Sonnon, and Pavel tag teaming it in a burpee contest any day of the week and that was just a warmup. Like many Rinpoches, he could do multiple mantra/yidam practices at a time and took that art to a new level 24/7. Mind boggling shit. He sent Lama Norlha to set up shop on the Hudson River at kagyu.com and I don't know how old the Kalu Jr reincarnation is right now, but I'd imagine he'd be an active teacher soon. I hope he's been taught English. A google images search would cook up some photos. My favorite photo of Kalu Rinpoche Sr., and it's not in my possession, was that of him having dinner with another inspiration of mine, Teacher Chiang, and they are laughing and having a great time.

Trunk,

Amazing story!!! I've never seen either of the Kalu Rinpoches. I've heard tales about the Senior, but I don't know anything about the new one.

Max,

When you mentioned Jesus it struck me that if you did a search for Jesus on Taobums you wouldn't find much. It's sort of odd that a mahaavatar like him would get so little press around here and it also struck me that gurus as devotional focus doesn't get much airtime around here either. Personally, the pendulum of my practice is swinging in that direction so I'm noticing this sort of thing for the first time.

Yoda

Ian,

Kalu Rinpoche Senior was called the hardest working lama in the business. The Karmapa and the Dalai Lama would be the first to tell you that. Even as a very old man, he did an insane number of prostrations per day... would've whooped Furey, Sonnon, and Pavel tag teaming it in a burpee contest any day of the week and that was just a warmup. Like many Rinpoches, he could do multiple mantra/yidam practices at a time and took that art to a new level 24/7. Mind boggling shit. He sent Lama Norlha to set up shop on the Hudson River at kagyu.com and I don't know how old the Kalu Jr reincarnation is right now, but I'd imagine he'd be an active teacher soon. I hope he's been taught English. A google images search would cook up some photos. My favorite photo of Kalu Rinpoche Sr., and it's not in my possession, was that of him having dinner with another inspiration of mine, Teacher Chiang, and they are laughing and having a great time.

Many thanks: I'll have a look.

Max,

When you mentioned Jesus it struck me that if you did a search for Jesus on Taobums you wouldn't find much. It's sort of odd that a mahaavatar like him would get so little press around here and it also struck me that gurus as devotional focus doesn't get much airtime around here either. Personally, the pendulum of my practice is swinging in that direction so I'm noticing this sort of thing for the first time.

Yoda

There is a wonderful snippet of Jesus in one of the books by Kyriacos Markides. You know, The Magus of Strovolos and all that. Apparently Daskalos remembered an incarnation where he met Jesus. No details spring to mind, but it was ace.

Keith, have you listened to Sifu Max's stories about his adventures and becoming a lama? I've got most of his tapes and they are well worth the money.

While writing this post, I was looking for a link to his tapes but found he is well and alive and teaching. The last time I check he had a rainbow body experience for the 4th time and didn't come back.

Here is his website...

http://www.risingredphoenix.com/aboutus.html

Keith, have you listened to Sifu Max's stories about his adventures and becoming a lama? ... The last time I check he had a rainbow body experience for the 4th time and didn't come back.

Here is his website...

http://www.risingredphoenix.com/aboutus.html

Certainly a striking photo of him, bright. I haven't listened / read anything about him.

Are there any cave lamas that made it to the US? or any that think of themselves as cave lamas?

What exactly is a cave lama?

Leaning more towards practice rather than the "ornate" part. Sort of like a Forest Dwelling Taoist, an emergency room surgeon, or what I call a "field soldier" or "combat proven soldier".

Sifu Max Christensen has the "cave lama" term on his redrisingphoenix page.

I thought about this a little more. About how I started my interest in philosphical or ancient Taoism.

Ni Hua-Ching(倪清和), is one of my favorite authors of books about philosophical Taoism. I've visited with him a few times many years ago (like 20) when I first started my walk on the philosophical Taoist side. His sons are great guys too.