Formless Tao

What Daring Animals/Foods Have You Eaten While Travelling?

Had a bit of an adventure tasting all kinds of exotic foods while living in Hong Kong.

Lets see... Abalone, sea cucumber, chicken testicles, snake soup, turtle soup, flying fox soup, curdled chicken blood, wild boar curry, drunken XO live black tiger prawns, enoki mushrooms, cloud fungus, wooded ear fungus, different grades of shiitakes, the list seems quite so long that i cannot recall many of the exotic foods/meat/fruits which i had tried. Some was really delectable, while others were just ok, more hype than anything else, i guess.

The only thing i could not stand, which the locals adore, is something called 'Stinky Tofu'. Maan, i'd run a mile if i even caught a whiff of it. :Dhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinky_tofu Hawkers would still ply the streets of Hong Kong selling these awful smelling delicacies just like their forefathers and mothers have done for decades. haha...

• Like 2

BKA, In most South-east Asian countries, mangosteens are abundantly available, and the season for them usually coincide with the season for durians. Most durian lovers would eat them after indulging in a frenetic round of durian feasting, as they are believed to bring a cooling balance to the body since durians are reputedly a very 'heaty' (full of yang) fruit. Apparently, eating mangosteens also assist in neutralising the after-breath due to the sheer pungency of this super-delicious king of fruits!!

http://www.healthxchange.com.sg/healthyliving/DietandNutrition/Pages/durians-8-myths-and-facts-about-the-king-of-fruits.aspx

Edited by C T
  • Like 1

BKA, In most South-east Asian countries, mangosteens are abundantly available, and the season for them usually coincide with the season for durians. Most durian lovers would eat them after indulging in a frenetic round of durian feasting, as they are believed to bring a cooling balance to the body since durians are reputedly a very 'heaty' (full of yang) fruit. Apparently, eating mangosteens also assist in neutralising the after-breath due to the sheer pungency of this super-delicious king of fruits!!

http://www.healthxchange.com.sg/healthyliving/DietandNutrition/Pages/durians-8-myths-and-facts-about-the-king-of-fruits.aspx

I have never been able to get close enough to a durian fruit to try any.... LOL. They are at all the chinese markets here, and you can smell them half a block away!! That's awesome that mangosteens are so plentiful! :) Now that I think about it, I got to try one twice. Some chinese markets here sell them when they are in season. At least now I know that when I smell the durians around, I can go look for mangosteens too...

• Like 1

I forgot boiled turtle eggs also...that dont go hard inside, just slimey and guey ;)

Reminded me of soft-shelled crabs.

Wish you hadn't...

Edited by Brian
  • Like 1

maggotcheese1.jpg

Anyone had a taste of casu marzu? I haven't and (hopefully) never will. :)

This, dear reader, is a medium-sized lump of ***** ****** ******. Casu Marzu is a sheep' milk cheese that has been deliberately infested by a Piophila casei, the "cheese fly." The result is a maggot-ridden, weeping stink bomb in an advanced state of decomposition.

Its translucent larvae are able to jump about 6 inches into the air, making this the only cheese that requires eye protection while eating.

Edited by xor
  • Like 2

Soft shell crap is so awesome!!! :)

I have had sea cucumber, and abalone, and some others here locally.

Your typo is priceless, BKA!

:D

• Like 2

I had fermented mare's milk (kumis), fermented camel's milk (shubat), and I just remembered, slightly off topic, that my sister-in-law gave her own milk to her cat when she had extra while nursing her first child.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 2

Gas-station hot dogs, the red ones that go back and forth all day on the mechanical warmers.

With chili.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 1