Vitalii

Daoist Jia Dao Zhang

In China, in the mountains of Wudang, there is a cave where Daoist Jia Dao Zhang lives. According to some of the sources, he has been living as a hermit for about 30 years. It is unknown how many years he exactly is, but some people say that he is more than 100 years old. He is in a good physical condition!
All thanks to the fact that he practices Daoist methods, such as Dao Yin,Tuna and meditation.

continue reading

1784424_debc6ffd.jpg
P.S.
I corrected the article.
Edited by Vitalii
  • Like 1

Opendao, just wonder how can man who practices neidan look at the age of over 100 years old? Any examples?

If this man really is over 100 then he is great.

I'm going to be in Wundangshan next week. You still going to be there Vitalii?

I'm going to be in Wundangshan next week. You still going to be there Vitalii?

At the moment I am in London and I will be in the Wudang with my students in April 2014.

My funny post was deleted, I'd like to receive explanations, why? Actually, why it's so moderated without even any explanation given?

If Vitalii takes it seriously it doesn't mean others think the same way.

Opendao, just wonder how can man who practices neidan look at the age of over 100 years old? Any examples?

If this man really is over 100 then he is great.

No Antares, no examples, normal Daoists are not models and don't pose on public. In many schools it's even prohibited to make pictures or videos. That's why all these business promotions here look as funny circus.

Ok, but have you seen an old taoist who looked much younger than he was indeed?

Your post was deleted as it was personal criticism but not regarding subj. of the thread imho.

Ok, but have you seen an old taoist who looked much younger than he was indeed?

My chi kung teacher looked much younger than his age of 90, and he had started growing more black hair on his bald spot.

Thinkers get bald in front, lovers get bald in back.

I know him. Grandpa Jia, as people call him, is a beloved and much-visited figure on Wudang. He is generally said to have great virtue and some say his realization is very high.

His lifestyle could perhaps be called semi-hermetic, since he lives, usually alone, in a cave-turned-temple, but he is not at all far from the tourist/pilgrim/administrative hub below that is the Purple Cloud Palace, as well as a bus stop five or fewer minutes' walk from his abode.

From what I have seen of him, Jia does not claim to be over the age of 100. Neither do people on Wudang, including people who have known him for more than 30 years, make this claim. Furthermore, if one asked him, "are you over 100," he might say yes just to end the conversation. It is rude to ask Daoists their age and many won't have serious conversations about it. I have personally seen Jia involved in just such an exchange.

As to what he actually practices, few know. He is not, from what I have seen, big on talking about about dao yin, nor detailing his own practice. As a matter of fact, the actual monastic Daoists on Wudang (and elsewhere) tend to be extremely cagey with respect to discussing their practice regimens. Of course, perhaps what he told you is different.

Instead of specifics, Jia is more famous for talking about a rather "formless" form of practice, and for emphasizing being a compassionate, righteous human being all else being. His books and pamphlets are the same.

As for that staircase, no I have not seen him fly up it, certainly not at speeds outpacing the many young, athletic kungfu students all over Wudang.

My firsthand observation, also, is that he starts his day at 5, with prayer before Zhenwu. Maybe sometimes he wakes at 4 for daoyin, I don't know.

Because of his great compassion and warm heart, Jia is quite famous and sometimes streams of visitors come all day. With or without his blessing, endless photographs are shot, videos taken, and questions asked. Jia seems to turn nobody away and graciously answers people's many questions. Frankly, because everybody wants to know a "hermit," he is often turned into something of a souvenir or curiosity. Also, because both Chinese and foreigners alike find the mystique of "Daoist hermit" so seductive, Jia's name and image are thrown around excessively, with, for example a charlatan Dragon Gate teacher in Beijing teaching supposedly Dragon Gate sexual practices in for money; this man claims to be teaching what Jia taught him, but also claims that he can best teach his female "disciples" by sleeping with them. Sigh. Since Jia makes few distinctions and allows anybody to photograph him and pose for photos with him--which is very kind-hearted of him--unfortunately he has no control over what happens when endless crowds of seekers and teachers of seekers make a stop at his cave a part of every travel itinerary. Thus he has been turned into a legend whilst still alive, with misinformation swirling accordingly. That fact is sad but merely a representation in the miniature of much larger.problems currently haunting Daoism.

Finally, he has lost his teeth, which is a question of no small significance to alchemy practitioners and pursuers of longevity, rightly or wrongly.

Vitalii, you obviously have your conflicts with others on this board and I am not posting this message because I have any opinions regarding that disagreement. However, you have posted misinformation and exaggerations about Jia, which is irresponsible and unfair to him and to readers of your website and this one.

• Like 3

I know him. Grandpa Jia, as people call him, is a beloved and much-visited figure on Wudang. He is generally said to have great virtue and some say his realization is very high.

His lifestyle could perhaps be called semi-hermetic, since he lives, usually alone, in a cave-turned-temple, but he is not at all far from the tourist/pilgrim/administrative hub below that is the Purple Cloud Palace, as well as a bus stop five or fewer minutes' walk from his abode.

From what I have seen of him, Jia does not claim to be over the age of 100. Neither do people on Wudang, including people who have known him for more than 30 years, make this claim. Furthermore, if one asked him, "are you over 100," he might say yes just to end the conversation. It is rude to ask Daoists their age and many won't have serious conversations about it. I have personally seen Jia involved in just such an exchange.

As to what he actually practices, few know. He is not, from what I have seen, big on talking about about dao yin, nor detailing his own practice. As a matter of fact, the actual monastic Daoists on Wudang (and elsewhere) tend to be extremely cagey with respect to discussing their practice regimens. Of course, perhaps what he told you is different.

Instead of specifics, Jia is more famous for talking about a rather "formless" form of practice, and for emphasizing being a compassionate, righteous human being all else being. His books and pamphlets are the same.

As for that staircase, no I have not seen him fly up it, certainly not at speeds outpacing the many young, athletic kungfu students all over Wudang.

My firsthand observation, also, is that he starts his day at 5, with prayer before Zhenwu. Maybe sometimes he wakes at 4 for daoyin, I don't know.

Because of his great compassion and warm heart, Jia is quite famous and sometimes streams of visitors come all day. With or without his blessing, endless photographs are shot, videos taken, and questions asked. Jia seems to turn nobody away and graciously answers people's many questions. Frankly, because everybody wants to know a "hermit," he is often turned into something of a souvenir or curiosity. Also, because both Chinese and foreigners alike find the mystique of "Daoist hermit" so seductive, Jia's name and image are thrown around excessively, with, for example a charlatan Dragon Gate teacher in Beijing teaching supposedly Dragon Gate sexual practices in for money; this man claims to be teaching what Jia taught him, but also claims that he can best teach his female "disciples" by sleeping with them. Sigh. Since Jia makes few distinctions and allows anybody to photograph him and pose for photos with him--which is very kind-hearted of him--unfortunately he has no control over what happens when endless crowds of seekers and teachers of seekers make a stop at his cave a part of every travel itinerary. Thus he has been turned into a legend whilst still alive, with misinformation swirling accordingly. That fact is sad but merely a representation in the miniature of much larger.problems currently haunting Daoism.

Finally, he has lost his teeth, which is a question of no small significance to alchemy practitioners and pursuers of longevity, rightly or wrongly.

Vitalii, you obviously have your conflicts with others on this board and I am not posting this message because I have any opinions regarding that disagreement. However, you have posted misinformation and exaggerations about Jia, which is irresponsible and unfair to him and to readers of your website and this one.

Walker, I only wrote what I had read about him and heard in China.

I do not know how many years he exactly is, but I know that he definitely practices dao yin and meditation, and I saw him awake at 4 a.m. for many times.
If you have any reliable information about him, please send it to me and I will correct the mistakes in the article about him.

Yeah, only read but did not forget to promote your stuff. I have doubts that Vitalii posts here in order to contribute to the TTB community. If you do not know then do not post information that can mislead people

Thinkers get bald in front, lovers get bald in back.

I still have a full head of hair. Does that mean that I haven't done enough of both?

Actually, wrinkles only appear if you have been over-weight (fat) and then lost a lot of weight when you got older. The skin doesn't have the time or flexibility to shrink and therefore the excess skin becomes wrinkles.

And I agree, there are many older people of all cultures who are proud to have their picture taken when it is properly explained to them why the picture is wanted. Being an example of aging well is something to be proud of.

Edited by Marblehead

Yeah, only read but did not forget to promote your stuff. I have doubts that Vitalii posts here in order to contribute to the TTB community. If you do not know then do not post information that can mislead people

Of course, you're a fine one to talk.

• Like 1

Longevity is a good topic to discuss.

There are several Qigong and Taijiquan masters who died quite early in age.

My grandma is 89 years old (born 1924), has never done any exercise, qigong and is quite alive.

Grandmaster Feng Zhiqiang (born 1928) was a world class qigong and taijiquan master and he died last year.

Michael Winn's wife died of cancer although she had been practicing all the pre-heaven practices the Healing Tao is selling that are supposed to erase all karmic inherited diseases ( mother of M.Winn's wife died of cancer also).

Qigong and taijiquan and all related practices are certainly healthy but they seem to impact life quality more than longevity per se.

Let's take up these practices with humility and lucidity.

That could be "pre-heaven" only in theory. I just have found info from a ordained Taoist doctor's interview that only qualified doctor in TCM can teach qigong. ONLY.

And have a look here. Some people learn it from books or from masters that do not exist and open "Taoist schools" picking up information here and there and lumping all together. Of course they won't last long

I didn't know that. But actually my question would be:

If only qualified TCM doctors can teach qigong, do these TCM doctors hit 100 years old in good shape? If we don't have info about that, we are none the wiser...

• Like 1

Well, probably there is such thing as karma. Or may be it's more about spirituality than body longevity. I watch many bagua masters are not in the good form.

Also I believe it's very much up to the correct diet. Many IMA masters love alcohol and prob ably they overtraining. Healers could "spend" their qi to others. It's art of living, not qigong only. Lu Zi Jian, the renown bagua master, lived 119. He had regimen. Light exercises - 8 brocades, muscle change and bagua every day. He healed others. And plus good genes and karma

But he had the real knowledge of "pre-heaven"! He was initiated in Wudang sect. Where qigong people are initiated?

Yes, that's what I am saying. Qigong/IMA are just one element among others.

We go back to what western medicine tells us when it comes to disease prevention: diet, exercise, emotional well-being, meditation.

But even when we have all these, there no guarantee. Qigong (or whatever technical term people want to use) is not the magic bullet.

We are not totally in control. So indeed, beware of the money changers in the Temple !

• Like 1

They say that calories restriction diet prolongs life up to 30 percents . Lack of calories can shorten lifespan. So the right balance is solution I believe

But even when we have all these, there no guarantee. Qigong (or whatever technical term people want to use) is not the magic bullet.

We are not totally in control. So indeed, beware of the money changers in the Temple !

Qigong is not magic bullet. We discuss it in other thread.

Alchemy is magic. And evem more important than diet. Watch this 118 years old man:

This man did alchemy. Another example many yoga people who advise not to eat animal protein and exercise with asanas and pranayma. How long do they live maintaining such regimen with small protein intake and much carbohydrates; breath retentions, difficult asanas...? 60-80 years are normal for them. This man on video was eating much eggs every day and even started to smoke. Good advise not to listen money chargers but listen to the people who had transmission in "secret" temples. But not alchemy only. That man had day regimen. Stillness and movement with right method.

• Like 1

Alchemy is magic. And evem more important than diet.

Well, sorry, this is beyond the scope of my understanding. I am out of my depth.

I am trying to keep things as clear as possible for me. I am not qualified to talk about magic and my understanding of this word doesn't fit with alchemy.

Besides, I don't know enough about Lu ZIjian and I am very suspicious about what can be found on the www.

With this post, Do you mean he`s practicing all of this in your school?

In China, in the mountains of Wudang, there is a cave where Daoist Jia Dao Zhang lives. He has been living as a hermit for about 30 years.

He is more than 100 years old and he is in a good physical condition! All thanks to the fact that he practices Daoist methods, such as Dao Yin,Tuna and meditation.

Edited by _王彗_
  • Like 1

With this post, Do you mean he`s practicing all of this in your school?

No, I wrote about him because he is a very interesting person.

Okay what many seem to forget is transcendental reality is already realized. Many seem to 'want' to 'attain' earthly immortality, spiritual immortality and 'celestial' immortality and move to penglai. However even if one is a celestial immortal in penglai there are still mental projections, images, and delusions of the immortal realm that block fundamental reality or the Dao. So when you attain the dao you go to penglai? hmmm... One still could ask oneself "who is it that is ascending" and "perceiving this awareness of heavenly realms", and then abide as that transcendental state where there are no heavens, no hells, no powers, no ascensions, with not even an attachment to formlessness.... the funny thing is one need to go to penglai to ask these questions or to abide as the fundamental reality. Dantians and yin and yang and the five elements etc only exist to the mind because theres still a question of subject and object therefore its only an illusion... super normal powers are also an illusion just to trap the ego... whereas fundamental reality transcends all of it.

Now im not antidaoist and do have an very authentic daoist alchemical practice but i feel that sometimes there is not enough emphasis of complete reality.

They state those who complete of only are xing are ghost because they do not fill xing with ming to travel to higher realms to become a celestial immortal... thing is all that still exists only to the mind/ego...

in addition many tibetian buddhist achieved the rainbow body by working with the 5 purelights.... not necessarily the yuan qi and yuan jing etc...

Also many such as ramana marharishi realized complete reality and liberation with none of that... but only the practice of adhering to fundamental reality or the SELF (no ming or 'xing' for that matter) - thats not to say he didnt have power, tales of bilocating 'yang' spirits and invisibility (powers that pertain to daoist immortals) accompany his stories.

Edited by Kasuku

"Not only is the primordial uncontrived, it has nothing to it that could be contrived.When you reach nonexistence of even uncontrivance, there is no nonexistence of non-contrivance, and so no nonexistence of nonexistence. This nonexistence of nonexistenceis the primordial, yet the primordial contains everything. It is because there is theprimordial that there is the temporal. The primordial of everything is one singleprimordial. The unique primordial is the primordial state of each thing, each individual,and thus it forms the temporal. Thus we get the three treasures. These three treasuresare complete as a human being"

Lu dongbin telling of the complete reality state