Kadesdes

Why does Taiji feel so much better with long sleeves?

Hi guys,

I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this:

Whenever I practice taiji or Qigong it ALWAYS feels better when I do it wearing a shirt with long sleeves.....the movements feel "fuller". I have also noticed practicing in a windy place seems counter productive. Comments?

• Like 2

Not practicing in the wind is a traditional "don't", wearing long sleeves to keep the "chi" in is a traditional "do"

But is it cold where you are? The weather here is generally warm to hot so I do find a nice brease rather pleasant when practicing.

• Like 1

The more clothing we have covering our bodies, the more aware we are of our physical bodies and the movements :).

The wind thing, yes qigong is supposed to be generally avoided in the wind. However fortunately over the years you will likely find that this is less the case. I just practice under a covered area with a large wall when the weather isn't as desirable.

• Like 1

Wearing long sleeves clothes like the black and white Kung Fu shirt gives one the chi sensation during the Tai Ji moves. It makes one feel the moving arms are having a little resistance in the air. Actually, it gives one a better feeling where the position of the arms are. The long sleeves also give one the yin-yang effect while doing the movements. For example, when you raise your arms which is yang, spontaneously, the sleeves will be dropping down and rubbing against your skin which is yin. Thus this gives you a sensation that your arms are moving up. When you lower your arms the sleeves will drop and rub against your skin again. Indeed, this chi sensation was really given you a subliminal effect to enhance the movements to be more natural.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

It says, I think in the tai chi classics, that one shouldn't practice chi kung (tai chi is a type of chi kung :P ) in the wind because the wind 'steals' the chi. I think what really happens is that the feeling of wind on the skin masks the feeling of chi, and feeling chi is an important part of cultivation, therefore wind reduces progress.

• Like 2

Not practicing in the wind is a traditional "don't", wearing long sleeves to keep the "chi" in is a traditional "do"

But is it cold where you are? The weather here is generally warm to hot so I do find a nice brease rather pleasant when practicing.

The weather has been all over the place lately, but all year round I would say it is fairly cool overall but quite hot in summer. I usually train in a nice shady spot and never in direct sunlight feels best.

It says, I think in the tai chi classics, that one shouldn't practice chi kung (tai chi is a type of chi kung :P ) in the wind because the wind 'steals' the chi. I think what really happens is that the feeling of wind on the skin masks the feeling of chi, and feeling chi is an important part of cultivation, therefore wind reduces progress.

Yeah I have always suspected that it feels better with long sleeves because you can feel the movements more and that gliding, floaty feeling tends to accumulate but I wonder if the long sleeves also literally help keep the chi in, it certainly literally feels like the wind carries the chi away!