Lataif

Taoism and remote perception . . . (?)

Does anyone know of any specific Taoist teaching that addresses in detail the equivalent of "remote perception" (?)

I'm thinking not only of Space . . . but also (especially) of Time.

Presumably it would be understood as accessing the Universal Chi Body . . . that extends throughout all of Space and Time.

Western spiritual traditions seem to be a lot more interested in that.

Even the Catholic Church has the equivalent doctrine of the Communion of Saints . . .

Edited by Lataif

Does anyone know of any specific Taoist teaching that addresses in detail the equivalent of "remote perception" (?)

I'm thinking not only of Space . . . but also (especially) of Time.

Presumably it would be understood as accessing the Universal Chi Body . . . that extends throughout all of Space and Time.

Western spiritual traditions seem to be a lot more interested in that.

Even the Catholic Church has the equivalent doctrine of the Communion of Saints . . .

In Daoism "remote perception" is often taken as a fruit of advanced meditative disciplines, but is also cultivated as a specific skill. If I wanted to go through a pile of books I could cite a lot of examples of both types. One that comes immediately to mind is the discussion of and instructions for such practices in Jerry Alan Johnson's books. He starts to deal with the matter in Volume 2 of his medical qigong series beginning on p. 165 he deals with such matters in the context of shen training. He develops the matter in considerable detail in his various books on Daoist magic.

• Like 1

In Daoism "remote perception" is often taken as a fruit of advanced meditative disciplines, but is also cultivated as a specific skill. If I wanted to go through a pile of books I could cite a lot of examples of both types. One that comes immediately to mind is the discussion of and instructions for such practices in Jerry Alan Johnson's books. He starts to deal with the matter in Volume 2 of his medical qigong series beginning on p. 165 he deals with such matters in the context of shen training. He develops the matter in considerable detail in his various books on Daoist magic.

Ah. Good -- thanks (!)

I'm going to try to download the Medical QiGong book (otherwise . . . $119 on Amazon).

The Daoist magic books . . . seem like a little career in their own right (unavailable on Amazon):

Daoist Magical Hand Seal Training: Training in Daoist Magic From the Zheng Yi School of Ancient Chinese Mysticism... by Jerry Alan Johnson (2006)

Magical Tools and the Daoist Altar: Training in Daoist Magic From the Zheng Yi School of Ancient Chinese Mysticism... by Jerry Alan Johnson (2006)

Absorbing the Riches of the Profound: Training in Daoist Magic From the Zheng Yi School of Ancient Chinese Mysticism... by Jerry Alan Johnson (2006)

Daoist Exorcism: Encounters with Sorcerers, Ghosts, Spirits, and Demons: Training in Daoist Magic From the Zheng... by Jerry Alan Johnson (2007)

Daoist Weather Magic and Feng Shui: Training in the Daoist Magic From the Zheng Yi School of Ancient Chinese Mysticism... by Jerry Alan Johnson (2007)

Daoist Mineral Magic: Training in Daoist Magic From the Zheng Yi School of Ancient Chinese Mysticism by Jerry Alan Johnson (2006)

Daoist Plant and Animal Magic: Training in Taoist Magic From the Zheng Yi School of Ancient Chinese Mysticism by Jerry Alan Johnson (2007)

Hello there. Why do you want to access the Universal Chi Body? just wondering!

Well . . . it might reasonably be understood as a case of my wanting to do better and with more understanding . . . something I'm already doing (but not very well and with not a lot of understanding).

You don't sometimes feel yourself . . . that you're perceiving another time and place . . . other than the present (?)

I mean: even the idea of "memory" is open to an interpretation in which it is NOT a "recreation" of a past experience . . . but a re-perception of it. And then there's "memory" of the future . . . which is even harder to interpret strictly as a "recreation".

The Universal Chi Body . . . presumably underlies/mediates such possibilities.

Hello there. Why do you want to access the Universal Chi Body? just wondering!

Or maybe you mean . . . "why" would I want to do it . . . in the sense of "what good would it be" (?)

Well . . . the same good (for example) that is typically associated with "prayers" for the well being of others (past, present, and future).

The Universal Chi Body . . . presumably underlies/mediates such possibilities.

Ah. Good -- thanks (!)

I'm going to try to download the Medical QiGong book (otherwise . . . $119 on Amazon).

The Daoist magic books . . . seem like a little career in their own right (unavailable on Amazon):

Daoist Magical Hand Seal Training: Training in Daoist Magic From the Zheng Yi School of Ancient Chinese Mysticism... by Jerry Alan Johnson (2006)

Magical Tools and the Daoist Altar: Training in Daoist Magic From the Zheng Yi School of Ancient Chinese Mysticism... by Jerry Alan Johnson (2006)

Absorbing the Riches of the Profound: Training in Daoist Magic From the Zheng Yi School of Ancient Chinese Mysticism... by Jerry Alan Johnson (2006)

Daoist Exorcism: Encounters with Sorcerers, Ghosts, Spirits, and Demons: Training in Daoist Magic From the Zheng... by Jerry Alan Johnson (2007)

Daoist Weather Magic and Feng Shui: Training in the Daoist Magic From the Zheng Yi School of Ancient Chinese Mysticism... by Jerry Alan Johnson (2007)

Daoist Mineral Magic: Training in Daoist Magic From the Zheng Yi School of Ancient Chinese Mysticism by Jerry Alan Johnson (2006)

Daoist Plant and Animal Magic: Training in Taoist Magic From the Zheng Yi School of Ancient Chinese Mysticism by Jerry Alan Johnson (2007)

You might visit:

http://daoistmagic.com/guide-to-buying-books/

Where they have a guide. I checked on Amazon and what they have there is Volume One for $119, which seems a bit much since I believe that they are available directly from Dr. Johnson's organization for $65.00 per volume plus shipping. As I mentioned Volume Two is the one that deals with introductory topics on Daoist magic and is actually very helpful, but Volume One has a lot of useful information in it and they make a great introduction to the subject. Just by themselves a person could lay a good foundation in a couple of years and also find out if one had a real vocation for this type of practice.

We also have Dr_D here who is an ordained Daoist Priest/practitioner here and he may be helpful to you in this regard.