BaguaKicksAss

World Travel for 23 years! :)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-man-returns-home-after-23-year-195-country-trip-1.2427677

Pretty awesome :).

During my various travels I have met many people who just travel the world non-stop, and they have for years. Others just work 6 months, then travel around for the other 6. I tend to stay at hostels, so meet more interesting people that way. You can hear some extremely interesting travel stories from people who do this as a living/hobby.

Some folks are doing bicycle travel, and others the more standard train or airplane sort.

My travel is usually only 2 months at a time though. I have definitely had some interesting adventures. I would do a bit more backcountry 3rd world travel if I could talk another person into traveling with me; the reality of the situation is that even for a martial artists, a woman traveling alone can't go into *all* places, especially with budget travel. I've only had to be aggressive to get out of one situation ever though. On the otherhand I've also avoided hitchiking (int he past couple of decades) and train travel in 3rd world countries.

I would also do a lot more of any type of travel if... well I wasn't busy using my time and resources on Bagua currently :>. Perhaps in the future I will switch things around again.

I would love to hear some other folks' travel stories, and might even share some of mine if the thread gets going ;).

• Like 5

One of my brothers and his wife have raised their two sons on a sailboat. Last I heard, they were in Bora-Bora...

EDIT: Forgot to say that they've been doing that for about 15 years now.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 5

Apparently my mother took me to Morocco when I was 1 years old, so apparently she didn't slow down at all when she had me lol.

Very awesome about the sailboat thing!/

Yes I used to work 6 and travel 6 months for a while ..also staying at cheap hostels , do travel by trains in Asia and buses .

As a women alone on budget it is difficult to go many places -- that is true . Unfortunatley :(.

I am not into having it as a lifestyle any longer , but do like to take a decent quality time off .

Would love to go Africa , never been .

• Like 3

I hired reputable guides to get into some places women normally wouldn't safely be able to go (and some others which "tourists" aren't supposed to go, heh). I also probably pushed it on the where safe to go areas a bit by myself, but did take obvious precautions such as not after dark in small towns.

Also I talked a guy friend into going with me to Haiti. I had not been before and wasn't sure how well that would go over. Poor guy, he was terrified :(. He paid for a car and driver back so we wouldn't have to take the bus again LOL. I was warned that if I went to small town n the middle of nowhere markets alone that I might vanish. Also the people there I knew checked up on us once or twice per day. Actually part of the Haiti trip was staying with some folks via couchsurfing.com . It was pretty cool :).

Egypt was more than a bit annoying traveling alone as a woman, even with a fake wedding ring on and telling them all I was married :P. I only had to ever slap one though. What makes them think that alone in an ancient tomb is the ideal place to try to pick up a woman I'm not so sure..... ROFL.

• Like 2

Yes I used to work 6 and travel 6 months for a while ..also staying at cheap hostels , do travel by trains in Asia and buses .

As a women alone on budget it is difficult to go many places -- that is true . Unfortunatley :(.

I am not into having it as a lifestyle any longer , but do like to take a decent quality time off .

Would love to go Africa , never been .

And I haven't been to Asia yet, any advice? Unfortunately most likely I will be traveling alone; I hear that Asia is not good for traveling alone for women if going outside the large cities? I'm curious your thoughts from being there.

There aren't many find a co-travel person sites where they are martial arts fanatics lololol

Asia is not a problem traveling alone and on public transport too . Well depending on a comfort zones borderlines and in some (not all )places one has to dress conservatevly or more as locals do and also not really talk to man , unlesss theyre with wives .

Becouse what can happen is that due to cultural differences you may get misunderstood as a free woman looking for a man .

Even just going to the toilet at 10 pm once and meeting a man in a hall he asked literally : Madam you want to have sex with me ?

When I shouted at him and told him that he is insane husseling a woman who is just obliging natures call , he appologised .

So you know one has to really suss things out without getting overwhelmed .

Otherwise I have been to places that not even locals would do alone and was fine .

Than there are places I just would not go alone as a woman full stop , subtle differences .

Asia is actualy really easy for woman travelling alone , you can go easy out of big cities . People are still manly family orientated and if you end up in small village everyone will know you are there and will want to meet you and hear your story . You can make friends fast , so there will always be someone checking up on you , I felt so protected and met incredible people .

So welcoming and hospitable . They will share even few bread crumbs they got with you . My heart open up a lot in situations like this and have learned how beutiful humans are .

Saying that being smart is a must and yes some bad expiriences will be there too .

Do it Bagua :D! You will have wonderful time , send me a private message if you want some details ..

Couchsurfing in Haiti ? Wow !

What do you think of going there alone now that you have been ? Doable or way too much hustle ?

Do you know this website , Women on Wheels -- for female cyclist . It is amazing , so inspirational ,some incredible stories shared there too . Read on ..

http://www.skalatitude.com/p/wow-women-on-wheels.html

Edited by suninmyeyes
  • Like 4

At 24 I back packed around Europe and Israel. Keeping to hostels it was natural to meet people and I'd often join up with a group of fellow back packers. Hostels provided such a nice sense of shared community that when I went back to Israel with my son we stayed part of the time at a large hostel/hotel (Abraham hostel) so he could get a sense of what they are like.

This year I relived some of my 24rth. I headed back to the Ashram (Sivananda in Paradise Island), Israel and Burning Man. As great as the places are, the people you meet are as important. Great sense of community and sharing in Sivananda, the hostel in Israel and during Burning Man.

For those interested I wrote up some articles about my Burning Man trips here: http://thetaobums.com/topic/14600-learning-to-burn/ Haven't finished writing up the last one.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

I am currently traveling around Asia with my wife, who has also traveled by herself in Asia before and I would agree with suninmyeyes that it isn't a bad place for women to travel alone... except for Malaysia and Indonesia. I don't want to sound anti-muslim, but muslim countries can be harder for single woman - not impossible, just harder. We have met a fair amount of single woman travelers though.

• Like 2

Now words by people with no respect for women, or self respect... well I did travel through Egypt, so that isn't too much of a concern, more of an annoyance.

However I was warned by someone who lived in china for about 5 years that going out of town, especially alone can be quite dangerous as you can be killed for the cash on you and etc. He felt it would be even worse for women. He warned me that even hiring a car and a driver wasn't safe, and that you need to phone someone local before you leave and have them call the police if you do not phone back within the alloted time.

So I'm curious now if this was perhaps him being over cautious, or?

Also attempted rape is a concern, as I wouldn't want to have to spend time in a Chinese prison ;).

I have not yet traveled anywhere where I felt my life was in immediate danger. He definitely made china sound way worse than anywhere else in the world! This surprised me considering the prevalence of every single person in Haiti (it seemed) wearing a machete!

There will always be horror stories and naysayers telling you how dangerous places are. If you listen to all of them, you might as well never leave you house.

I just met a Finnish woman who said she would never go to India because of the recent gang rape stories whereas I found India to be the most peaceful, friendly and nonviolent place I had ever been. Who is right - no idea - that's up to you to decide.

• Like 2

Hi All. Great topic BKA.

Every country has dangerous spots and places that are fine, Asia is no different. I have many stories of my travels. I would not tell you not to travel alone but if possible travel with at least one person. if that is not possible than just be careful. ;)

At 21 i did missionary/social work in Cambodia. Great time even with all of the warnings I had about luggage and jewellry on my first overseas trip.

Vietnam also has a great time but my wife and I were surrounded in a water park and splashed by about 10 guys until we could hardly breathe. My wife was terrified and jumped on me. I found in most asian countries that ive been to that men would give my asian wife dirty looks because she was travelling with a westener ;)

Singapore I loved and felt really safe.

East Timor the first time I crossed the border was scary with army and machine guns everywhere. The next time I crossed over I could feel that the tension had vanished. But in a third world country like this things can change very quickly. Violence has a way of doing this. I also did some social work in an orphanage in East Timor.

My beloved Indonesia, what can I say. I have travelled their so many times I have lost count. I have travelled from timor to bali to all over java. I have lived for over 1 year here, worked here, married here and been arrested here due to no fault of my own. Bali has some dangerous areas especially where westeners frequent but if you stay away from the westener areas it is quick safe. I was stopped in surabaya five times in 1 week by police checking for drugs when I was going to my hotel. Plus they would check my passport as well. In Timor I was their when the government shot tear gas into a crowd of angry East Timorese and the tear gas was so effective I couldnt stop tears coming out of my eyes and I was in a house on the second story.

My personal advice is to read up about places before u go. But if you can travel with a local who knows the country it is always better as they know what places to avoid and also great local places to go. Ie food ;)

My mum travelled to Nanjing in China to finish off her TCM course. She said her and her fellow western class mates were constantly followed wherever they went and it was quite obvious. Mum was also visiting Catholic masses on a weekly basis ;)

I know a girl who was raped in India while staying at an Ashram.

I spoke to a hotel owner who told me that one of his guests in Sri Lanka was raped by a man who broke into her cottage while the husband was bashed. He said it was a common occurrence where his hotel was situated.

Never show off cash in your wallet or purse, never show off jewelerry or you will just be inviting someone to rob you. Always try to dress decently and show respect and hopefully respect will be ahown back to you. Also always remember that when you go into another country that you are playing by their rules and on their terms which are often different to ours. Its their turf at the end of the day.

Again enjoy your travels but just be aware and cautious at all times (not afraid)

Peace FT

Edited by Formless Tao
  • Like 3

Bagua , I know 2 women who lived one year and few years in China and enjoyed it .Collegue of mine goes there all the time . She does kung fu and has already made friends over there and stuff , she traveled everywhere in China alone , on the trains , buses , small places ...

Met few people living in Hong Kong and loving it for vibrant atmosphere and culture and art ...

Edited by suninmyeyes
  • Like 1

Bagua , I know 2 women who lived one year and few years in China and enjoyed it .Collegue of mine goes there all the time . She does kung fu and has already made friends over there and stuff , she traveled everywhere in China alone , on the trains , buses , small places ...

Met few people living in Hong Kong and loving it for cosmopolitan atmosphere and culture and art ...

Hong Kong is such a fantastic place to spend some time in. Lived and worked there for a year back in the 90s. Never a dull moment. Street food is fab, such variety and exotica... yum! Dim sum/congee/iced tea in the mornings, stir-fried veg and roasted goose for lunch, and even when you feel like indulging, 5-star hotel brunches for a song! These afternoon tea sessions are a fave among locals and tourists alike, with the widest menu choices on the face of this earth haha!!

Its not an expensive place, except for having to rent accommodation long-term. Space is a premium here, and people have been known to make millions just from selling a few parking spaces in the city core.

Safe enough to explore on your own, any time of the day or night. Its a city that literally never sleeps.

And lots of places and names to dig around where spiritual/energetics expansion is concerned.

As for Malaysia, my home country, its even more diverse than Hong Kong in terms of culture and customary practices due to the cohabitation of mainly Chinese, Malay and Indian folks who live here. Same with Singapore. Both these countries are tops where travel safety is concerned, with Singapore having a slight edge. The only thing i dont like about Singapore is the over-emphasis on cleanliness, almost to the point of dictatorial. No smoking in public, no chewing gum, no this no that. A nation of perfect citizens... (hmmm....)

• Like 5

a dear friend of mine visited more than 70 countries in ten years , with *no money*! :o

his travel map :

Picture3.jpg

his blog (only in italian , unfortunately ):

http://gaiatrotter.blogspot.it/

To make a long story short :

he left his home with few money (a bit more than 1000 euros). Soon the money finished , so he continued

his journey simply asking everywhere for food, a bed and an occasional job .

what an incredibile adventure !!!

And - I have to admit - with *a bit* of madness! B)

Now he is in Kenya.

Bye !

• Like 3

10 years on the road , must be some adventure !

It is so important to think outside of box . Our thoughts and ideas can be biggest limitations there are .

• Like 1

Asia is not a problem traveling alone and on public transport too . Well depending on a comfort zones borderlines and in some (not all )places one has to dress conservatevly or more as locals do and also not really talk to man , unlesss theyre with wives .

That is one thing which is a bit annoying about some other countries I travel to, they never heard of PLATONIC, hello? lol

Becouse what can happen is that due to cultural differences you may get misunderstood as a free woman looking for a man .

Even if wearing a "wedding ring" I have noticed... I could perhaps learn the word "lesbian" in several different languages ;).

Even just going to the toilet at 10 pm once and meeting a man in a hall he asked literally : Madam you want to have sex with me ?

When I shouted at him and told him that he is insane husseling a woman who is just obliging natures call , he appologised .

In Egypt at least they compliment you first ROFL .

So you know one has to really suss things out without getting overwhelmed .

Otherwise I have been to places that not even locals would do alone and was fine .

Than there are places I just would not go alone as a woman full stop , subtle differences .

Thank you for saying this, I'm glad that it is generally safe. Generally when I travel I avoid the tourist places like the plague.

Asia is actualy really easy for woman travelling alone , you can go easy out of big cities . People are still manly family orientated and if you end up in small village everyone will know you are there and will want to meet you and hear your story . You can make friends fast , so there will always be someone checking up on you , I felt so protected and met incredible people .

How well do you know the language? Unfortunately I don't at all. Not that this has stopped me in any other country, but China could be different. I'm wondering if I would need to hire a guide/translator or not?

So welcoming and hospitable . They will share even few bread crumbs they got with you . My heart open up a lot in situations like this and have learned how beutiful humans are .

Saying that being smart is a must and yes some bad expiriences will be there too .

Do it Bagua :D! You will have wonderful time , send me a private message if you want some details ..

That whole heart open up thing, yes definitely, I have found overall that folks in the various third word countries can be amazingly open and loving, giving, and so forth. It is a nice contrast sometimes. I always find it interesting that some can be living in poverty, terrible conditions and so forth, but usually still be smiling and genuinely happy :).

Couchsurfing in Haiti ? Wow !

What do you think of going there alone now that you have been ? Doable or way too much hustle ?

Hmmm, I'm not so sure about going alone or not, it is difficult to tell. I mean either gender in this. Whenever I travel I tend to dress down (actually I do all the time anyways lol, but I put a conscious effort into it when traveling), and I feel this helps. Still though the shoes I wear are a year's worth of income for some folks. I feel I could probably go alone if I made at least a few contacts before I left. The couchsurfing thing would most definitely be viable. Also if there are any hostels. Also the hotels tend to look after folks, especially if a woman is running it. I only felt slightly unsafe twice in Haiti, once when my friend and I went to the market alone (we were given hell after by our Haitian friends for doing that), and when I was carrying a rather large sum of money through town (though in that case it was likely more my fears).

I found Haiti to be less safe than Egypt (Egypt's economy is run on tourists so we are taken care of, and we are always right in a police dispute), in Haiti, not so much lol. Still though the people treated us well, and didn't try to scam me like in Egypt.

The couchsurfing was so much fun, it was in an apartment full of women, and they were trying to teach me Haitian dancing and even invited me out dancing with them :). One of them even came with us so I could see the local cemetery.

Also a woman I know of lived in Haiti for about 8 years, and I mean in the backcountry of Haiti!!!! That is pretty impressive. She is from the USA.

Do you know this website , Women on Wheels -- for female cyclist . It is amazing , so inspirational ,some incredible stories shared there too . Read on ..

http://www.skalatitude.com/p/wow-women-on-wheels.html

No I did not, thank you ;). That reminds me how much I would just LOVE to cycle around Albania for a year. Albania is gorgeous, and most of the roads would work for this. The only thing is... bicycles in these various countries tend to suck, and my good bicycle would likely get stolen within a few minutes, or at least parts of it. Not that they don't where I live now, but still lol.

• Like 1

a dear friend of mine visited more than 70 countries in ten years , with *no money*! :o

his travel map :

Picture3.jpg

his blog (only in italian , unfortunately ):

http://gaiatrotter.blogspot.it/

To make a long story short :

he left his home with few money (a bit more than 1000 euros). Soon the money finished , so he continued

his journey simply asking everywhere for food, a bed and an occasional job .

what an incredibile adventure !!!

And - I have to admit - with *a bit* of madness! B)

Now he is in Kenya.

Bye !

I have always wanted to visit South Africa! :) I might get to as a client lives over there, here's hoping! That is pretty awesome about going that long on $1000 :>.

I have heard of folks who live in India for about $1000 per year, which sounds like a lot of fun as well. I don't mind those sorts of conditions.

At 24 I back packed around Europe and Israel. Keeping to hostels it was natural to meet people and I'd often join up with a group of fellow back packers. Hostels provided such a nice sense of shared community that when I went back to Israel with my son we stayed part of the time at a large hostel/hotel (Abraham hostel) so he could get a sense of what they are like.

This year I relived some of my 24rth. I headed back to the Ashram (Sivananda in Paradise Island), Israel and Burning Man. As great as the places are, the people you meet are as important. Great sense of community and sharing in Sivananda, the hostel in Israel and during Burning Man.

For those interested I wrote up some articles about my Burning Man trips here: http://thetaobums.com/topic/14600-learning-to-burn/ Haven't finished writing up the last one.

I remember reading your burning man adventures on here, pretty cool :). In Israel, that must have been interesting. A hostel over there would be even more so! I have found that the folks who stay in international hostels are always the most interesting, and also very open. I'm curious how come you chose Israel as your main place of travel?

Met few people living in Hong Kong and loving it for vibrant atmosphere and culture and art ...

That is just awesome! May I ask if she is white? I find that my friends who look more Asian get treated quite differently in some places... I have to say this is very encouraging though.

I wish to get to the places without the horrendous air pollution, which from what I hear are out of town a ways lol.

There will always be horror stories and naysayers telling you how dangerous places are. If you listen to all of them, you might as well never leave you house.

I just met a Finnish woman who said she would never go to India because of the recent gang rape stories whereas I found India to be the most peaceful, friendly and nonviolent place I had ever been. Who is right - no idea - that's up to you to decide.

This is a very good point. I wasn't sure if my friend was being realistic, or a little too cautious in his advice.

I remember when I was in my 20's I used to go camping alone every single weekend (worked 10 hour days so I would get 3 day weekends every week). Well as you can guess everyone freaked out (especially my poor parents) and told me not to do it. This may sound odd, but I decided I'd rather take the risk and live life how I most enjoyed it, then stay home in fear in the city each weekend. I never even had a slight problem camping alone ever, not even an uneasy situation! I know not all are that fortunate, but I also go on my instincts and will not camp in areas I get a bad feeling from (and there have been a couple, believe me).

The whole rape thing, or in a similar context the being mugged thing.... I have found that the unsavorables here do bother some women, but not me. I do really think that attitude can help a lot. It isn't 100% obviously, but does tend to help. I naively have always believed that I could kick ass in a bad situation (an from what I have been told hold myself like this as well). I did find out otherwise when I took up martial arts ROFL, but I think the attitude has helped ;). I see a lot of women who who don't have the werewithall to day "fuck off" really get harassed or treated inappropriately. I figure this skill is learned by much international travel lol.

This sort of reminds me when our family went to Morocco... my mother learned the arabic word for "fuck off" the first day ;). It served us well, but the looks on people's faces was priceless! This was circa 1982; they weren't as used to tourists there back then.

• Like 1

I am currently traveling around Asia with my wife, who has also traveled by herself in Asia before and I would agree with suninmyeyes that it isn't a bad place for women to travel alone... except for Malaysia and Indonesia. I don't want to sound anti-muslim, but muslim countries can be harder for single woman - not impossible, just harder. We have met a fair amount of single woman travelers though.

Fortunately for Indonesia I have a close friend who has a house and family there, so if/when I go it would be with her. I also have other contacts over there. I am most definitely tempted. The airfare though...

Hi All. Great topic BKA.

Every country has dangerous spots and places that are fine, Asia is no different. I have many stories of my travels. I would not tell you not to travel alone but if possible travel with at least one person. if that is not possible than just be careful. ;)

I have found that the travel with at least one other person just isn't going to happen (at least until I hit my first hostel over there that is hehe), so planning for it to just be me. I have tried to entice all my martial arts friends over there though! However also most north americans that I know personally, would not be willing to travel in the same conditions I am (hostels).

At 21 i did missionary/social work in Cambodia. Great time even with all of the warnings I had about luggage and jewellry on my first overseas trip.

Vietnam also has a great time but my wife and I were surrounded in a water park and splashed by about 10 guys until we could hardly breathe. My wife was terrified and jumped on me. I found in most asian countries that ive been to that men would give my asian wife dirty looks because she was travelling with a westener ;)

Yes I have definitely heard that before about an asian woman traveling with a westerner, sometimes they get called some pretty horrible names as well apparently. It is unfortunate. The Cambodia and Vietnam trips must have been awesome :). It is so beautiful over there from all I have been told about it. My fellow hostelers have convinced me that at some point in my life I need to go.

I tend towards a backpack (customs just loves this, not lol) and no jewelry for these very reasons :).

Singapore I loved and felt really safe.

East Timor the first time I crossed the border was scary with army and machine guns everywhere. The next time I crossed over I could feel that the tension had vanished. But in a third world country like this things can change very quickly. Violence has a way of doing this. I also did some social work in an orphanage in East Timor.

That scenario is always a little unnerving! LOL When I first went to Mexico, it took me a few days to get used to machine guns everywhere! I do have a photo of myself with a group of Mexican police holding their machine guns and me doing the peace sign thing ;).

My beloved Indonesia, what can I say. I have travelled their so many times I have lost count. I have travelled from timor to bali to all over java. I have lived for over 1 year here, worked here, married here and been arrested here due to no fault of my own. Bali has some dangerous areas especially where westeners frequent but if you stay away from the westener areas it is quick safe. I was stopped in surabaya five times in 1 week by police checking for drugs when I was going to my hotel. Plus they would check my passport as well. In Timor I was their when the government shot tear gas into a crowd of angry East Timorese and the tear gas was so effective I couldnt stop tears coming out of my eyes and I was in a house on the second story.

That sounds amazing :). It is definitely a place I would like to travel to. The magic of the area fascinates me, as do the artifacts. I have some that I bought here about 25 years ago, and they most definitely do have a life to them. This is what first interested me in the area. Now that I know one person who has a house/family over there, and another that lived there for 10 years or so practicing the local martial arts! :)

My personal advice is to read up about places before u go. But if you can travel with a local who knows the country it is always better as they know what places to avoid and also great local places to go. Ie food ;)

Oh most definitely about a local, I traveled through Albania that way, it was wonderful! I was taken to places tourists would never know about or be able to get to. Him telling people I was Canadian convolute helped at times too ROFL. They actually stopped some road work that would have taken hours to let us drive through hehe.

The best part was a castle in the middle of nowhere no one really visited much.. given the keys and allowed to go look around, entire place to ourselves! We took the opportunity to perform a few rituals of course. The caretaker also said that yes we could stay overnight and bring a few other people if we wanted. Sooo tempting for the most awesome retreat ever.

My mum travelled to Nanjing in China to finish off her TCM course. She said her and her fellow western class mates were constantly followed wherever they went and it was quite obvious. Mum was also visiting Catholic masses on a weekly basis ;)

I have heard about that aspect of china! I'm guessing some knowledge of the local language is necessary, or no? Probably easier in the larger cities.

I know a girl who was raped in India while staying at an Ashram.

I spoke to a hotel owner who told me that one of his guests in Sri Lanka was raped by a man who broke into her cottage while the husband was bashed. He said it was a common occurrence where his hotel was situated.

Definitely the large knife in india thing. I guess it might be handy that I train martial arts. Not 100% failsafe obviously, but helps I'm sure. While staying in an ashram though, damn!

Never show off cash in your wallet or purse, never show off jewelerry or you will just be inviting someone to rob you.

I even keep that stuff in mind when traveling to the USA! ;) Aside from dangerous, I also think it's quite rude to wear expensive jewelry in countries where people can barely afford food. I also wear a moneybelt when I travel overseas and keep just a few small bills in the section where I pull money out to give to someone..

Yes it took me awhile to adjust in Egypt to that idea, not sure why it took so long there compared with other places. The funny thing is that quite honestly I experienced more and longer culture shock in TX than I did in Egypt! I'm not joking..

Thank you for the advice and encouragement, and your awesome travel stories, FT :).

Always try to dress decently and show respect and hopefully respect will be ahown back to you. Also always remember that when you go into another country that you are playing by their rules and on their terms which are often different to ours. Its their turf at the end of the day.

Again enjoy your travels but just be aware and cautious at all times (not afraid)

Peace FT

• Like 1

Hey Bagua , dont know whats up with my reply options today , cant quote for now .. but to quickly reply yes the women living in China were white .

One of them knew the language , another not . I spend quite few years in SE Asia and did not know the language . Well learned a bit of Hindi eventually ..

One black girl I know went to China recently and enjoyed it , but she did some art project colaboration with some people there .

Answer you later the rest .:)