yondaime109

Eastern Philosophical arts & practices are satanic?

It's worth knowing that the vast majority of Satanists are not evil people who worship the devil and sacrifice children - that's just the media jumping aboard the hysterical Christian bandwagon.

Satanism is really more of an individualistic atheist's philosophy which developed as a reaction to perceived hypocrisy and suppression of natural instincts such as lust in Christianity, and uses the word 'Satan' purely to piss off fundamentalists.

I'm definitely not a Satanist myself, as I am not an atheist and find the Satanist 'do what's natural' an extreme just as stupid as the fundamentalist Christian 'suppress everything, God wants you to be asexual'. I just wanted to point out that most people's opinions on Satanism are skewed by the media portrayal as evil devil worshippers and jumping to conclusions because it has the word 'Satan' in it. :)

Edited by Seeker of Tao
  • Like 1

Sounds like a westerner trying to glue things together. For the record, I know people born into Taoism religion that believe in God and even worships/prays to Buddha and immortals.

Although, I am still bring harassed by demons and ghosts in lucid dream states. This only began when I started meditating regularly 2 years ago and it hasn't stopped yet...even if I am meditating on love and compassion. So I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned...

I do question my path sometimes and wonder if my practice invites evil into my life. Perhaps there are too many satanic things we delve into due to too much dabbling. After all, it is said (or advertised at entry level) that Taoism is more simple than anything and teaches harmony!

Although, I am still bring harassed by demons and ghosts in lucid dream states. This only began when I started meditating regularly 2 years ago and it hasn't stopped yet...even if I am meditating on love and compassion. So I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned...

How could your practice be inviting evil in if you are focusing on virtuous things? These kinds of experiences are crud that was already lodged in your mind being released.

The demons and ghosts you are seeing in dreams are just symbols of the negative qualities in your own subconscious. As they pass up into the conscious mind you notice them and worry about it, but then they disappear, having been purified.

Someone who doesn't cultivate never goes through this stuff because they just carry their crud and never fix it. I don't know about you, but I'd rather deal with it, be a bit uncomfortable while it is being purified, then be free of it for good. :)

Edited by Seeker of Tao
  • Like 4

How could your practice be inviting evil in if you are focusing on virtuous things? These kinds of experiences are crud that was already lodged in your mind being released.

The demons and ghosts you are seeing in dreams are just symbols of the negative qualities in your own subconscious. As they pass up into the conscious mind you notice them and worry about it, but then they disappear, having been purified.

Someone who doesn't cultivate never goes through this stuff because they just carry their crud and never fix it. I don't know about you, but I'd rather deal with it, be a bit uncomfortable while it is being purified, then be free of it for good. :)

Yes, its a good opportunity to familiarize with all these arisings because these will be same sort of stuff that manifests during the intermediate bardo, although, according to teachers, its going to be much more amplified and many times more intense. Those who have not pacified these things during life will be swept away and will, by the force of their subtle memories, seek a womb to find comfort, and thus gain rebirth, to repeat the cycle of interdependency again.

In a nutshell, there are practices which specifically helps practitioners to gain mastery over these negative mindscapes, now, during this life, with the aim of victory over the fears of the unknown and the unknowing, the root causes of confusion and trauma, both of which would render a dying person much aversion and grasping as the death process becomes subtler and subtler.

Edited by C T
  • Like 2

Thank you. Just wonder why it's still happening after two years, and why I always go through paralysis while it is going on.

Yes, its a good opportunity to familiarize with all these arisings because these will be same sort of stuff that manifests during the intermediate bardo, although, according to teachers, its going to be much more amplified and many times more intense. Those who have not pacified these things during life will be swept away and will, by the force of their subtle memories, seek a womb to find comfort, and thus gain rebirth, to repeat the cycle of interdependency again.

In a nutshell, there are practices which specifically helps practitioners to gain mastery over these negative mindscapes, now, during this life, with the aim of victory over the fears of the unknown and the unknowing, the root causes of confusion and trauma, both of which would render a dying person much aversion and grasping as the death process becomes subtler and subtler.

I have been skeptical of this sort of talk for a while, karma etc, but I guess if I see it for myself then I will find it harder and harder to deny. It certainly feels that I am having these dreams for a reason. It all began around a time when I started cultivating as my family had a huge split. Beginning to wonder whether escaping what I see (in no disrespect as they are my family) as their attachment, anger and fears is my destiny to free myself of this negative karma.

So in relation to the OP , I say chill and don't worry! I think you and I read into things a bit deeply and could slow down our progress...

Thank you. Just wonder why it's still happening after two years, and why I always go through paralysis while it is going on.

We cultivators are dealing with the habits of a very long time. From one perspective, the whole path is simply removing all the constrictions and stains in our minds.

We have been misusing our Buddha-nature for playing the role of a deluded sentient being, and there are a lot of masks to peel off. Take strength knowing that you can always take a mask off, but no mask can ever remove your face. :)

As for why the paralysis happens, I wouldn't worry about that either. Sleep paralysis is fairly common and harmless, I've had it occasionally. It may just a little glitch in the mechanism that keeps your muscles unresponsive during dreams (imagine if we acted them out), or maybe it has something to do with your need for control.

• Like 1

I have been skeptical of this sort of talk for a while, karma etc, but I guess if I see it for myself then I will find it harder and harder to deny. It certainly feels that I am having these dreams for a reason. It all began around a time when I started cultivating as my family had a huge split. Beginning to wonder whether escaping what I see (in no disrespect as they are my family) as their attachment, anger and fears is my destiny to free myself of this negative karma.

So in relation to the OP , I say chill and don't worry! I think you and I read into things a bit deeply and could slow down our progress...

Skepticism can be a wonderful tool to sharpen experience, as long as it does not spawn cynicism. A beginner's mind, a mind untainted by cynicism, can be one which is eternally skeptic.

See it clearly for yourself, observe with awareness whether or not the bardos are all the same essentially... the only difference is the level of grasping and aversion. The greater the degree of grasping and aversion, the more intense the images will appear, hence, for a dying person, generally speaking, he or she will be feeling the most fear and confusion due to a weakening consciousness, and will experience the most intense images of demons and such. These are nothing more than unresolved fears.

During life, due to distractive tendencies, most people do not develop the capacity to pacify these unresolved fears. Unfortunately, unresolved issues do not go away. They simply germinate quietly, until such time when the death process begin to happen, they will take root in accordance with one's level of confusion going into the death process. If one has gained mastery over these fears during life, then going into this process will be just like waking up from a pleasant dream. It is a most difficult practice to maintain composure during intense arisings (like seeing ghosts and headless beings and what not) but once you have gained mastery over them, then its just a matter of staying composed. This is where mindfulness practice can begin to help in a great way.

• Like 1

So what to do if you see a ghost or demon? Staying calm is one thing but dealing with it is another...

I mean, let's take lucid dreaming and controlling experience. I was conscious enough to yell words at it as I felt threatened (and why shouldn't I if it's three feet away in my room and pointing at me?) Are we supposed to just lie there and observe or kill the damn thing?

I do question my path sometimes and wonder if my practice invites evil into my life. Perhaps there are too many satanic things we delve into due to too much dabbling. After all, it is said (or advertised at entry level) that Taoism is more simple than anything and teaches harmony!

All paths have methods for keeping this sort of thing away.

Try salt around your bed. If that doesn't work, look into how they might be your internal ones, and get to work in that direction :).

• Like 1

So what to do if you see a ghost or demon? Staying calm is one thing but dealing with it is another...

I mean, let's take lucid dreaming and controlling experience. I was conscious enough to yell words at it as I felt threatened (and why shouldn't I if it's three feet away in my room and pointing at me?) Are we supposed to just lie there and observe or kill the damn thing?

What methods do your path/teacher use for this? If you are not sure, more research needed. Though usually bringing down a column of divine light can do the trick. Then also, looking to see which aspects of yourself allow them to come to you or draw them to you, and working through those.

What methods do your path/teacher use for this? If you are not sure, more research needed. Though usually bringing down a column of divine light can do the trick. Then also, looking to see which aspects of yourself allow them to come to you or draw them to you, and working through those.

Well, other than my books and TTB, my only teacher is my Wing Chun teacher...taking this approach involved physically attacking (self-defence) and that has always got rid of them and made me feel better on waking.

I just hesitate as sometimes I question myself about using violence. Then I end up getting nervous again.

As for finding the aspects of my life that attract these things, I think I might know. Usually a mix of bad things happening at once as well as the need to look into spiritual answers when such things are happening. Of course, that means reading about the ghosts which I think could be putting them into my mind anyway.

Just like one watching horror films and then having a nightmare that same night.

This is why I linked attracting demons to this thread. Notice how the blog links Taoism and Buddhism with images of hell fire. And then the writer remains casual about it all! For me, it's quite unnerving and misguiding.

Those are just that one particular blogger's personal beliefs.

Anyone can write something on the internet, doesn't mean it's true for others.

Btw, I know it's a catch 22 but fear draws such things more strongly.

• Like 1

Notice how the blog links Taoism and Buddhism with images of hell fire. And then the writer remains casual about it all! For me, it's quite unnerving and misguiding.

You don't understand what Satanism actually is.

It's worth knowing that the vast majority of Satanists are not evil people who worship the devil and sacrifice children - that's just the media jumping aboard the hysterical Christian bandwagon.

Satanism is really more of an individualistic atheist's philosophy which developed as a reaction to perceived hypocrisy and suppression of natural instincts such as lust in Christianity, and uses the word 'Satan' purely to piss off fundamentalists.

I'm definitely not a Satanist myself, as I am not an atheist and find the Satanist 'do what's natural' an extreme just as stupid as the fundamentalist Christian 'suppress everything, God wants you to be asexual'. I just wanted to point out that most people's opinions on Satanism are skewed by the media portrayal as evil devil worshippers and jumping to conclusions because it has the word 'Satan' in it. :)

LaVeyan Satanism has nothing whatsoever to do with hell, evil, ritual sacrifice, worship of an evil being called Satan, or anything like that.

You're confusing a minority of crazy cults with a philosophy that is basically just about opposing hypocritical religious fundamentalists and their perception of people as sinful fallen beings.

Satanists like the blogger in the OP are really just humanists who object to the repression of natural desires and try to work with them instead. Minus the atheism, that's fairly Taoist.

Some of her points about similarities between Buddhism, Taoism and Satanism are really quite reasonable.

Edited by Seeker of Tao
  • Like 1

Well of course.

Satanists are just gothic nerds. They are not bad people.

Sounds like a westerner trying to glue things together. For the record, I know people born into Taoism religion that believe in God and even worships/prays to Buddha and immortals.

None of the beings in Buddhism is a Creator.

Buddhas have previous lives.

Edited by RongzomFan

I would do research on dreaming. Nightmares are surprisingly normal.

You don't understand what Satanism actually is.

Yes I do and I did read your post. I was merely pointing out that the blogger is more ignorant due to the imagery of hellfire on the page...

None of the beings in Buddhism is a Creator.

Buddhas have previous lives.

I repeat, he practices Buddhism and Taoism. He also believes in a creator God in addition to Buddha and immortals.