Sign in to follow this  
ChiDragon

What is Ding Li(定力)......?

All of us are talking cultivating the mind with meditation. The highest realm of meditation that one wants to accomplish is to have 定力....??? There are other terms are compounded with the character 定, such as 入定(enter the state of 定(Ding4).

Any thoughts in your own words.....???

The amount of patience that able one to withstand the agony depends on the amount of 定力 in an individual. The amount of 定力 was acquired from the cultivation of the mind which is the highest realm of meditation.

定力 is the ability to maintain one's mentality in a placid state to resist any temptation or adversity.

These are the taboos to be tested by one's 定力.

酒: Alcohol

色: Sexual desire

财: Wealth

气: Sentimental

• Like 1

There are different levels for different groups in observing the four taboos.
1. Mortals
2. Buddhists
3. Taoists(道教) has two groups

Different levels of cultivation:
1. For mortals: Do not be indulged to 酒色财气.
2. For Buddhists: Get rid of 酒色财气 completely.
3. Semi-practitioner of Taoist observes rule #1.
4. High Taoist priests observe rule # 2.

Edited by ChiDragon

cultivating the mind with meditation is everything that people here should NOT be talking about

Why not.....?????

At higher level, one will use the mind to do many things but having an empty one.

Edited by ChiDragon

At higher level, one will use the mind to do many things but having an empty one.

What you just said above does not actaully make any sense. At a high level of doing such practice all you will achieve is becoming a ghost (cultivating Yin Shen), no different to that of a what happens when a person dies. Dao is not about cultivating Yin, this is false methods of illusions and results in death. It's actaully not much difference from taking hallucinogenic drugs and travling in your fantacy's (which is also Yin Shen). Any ordinary person has Yin Shen, it is nothing special. True Daoist Alchemy does not include Dazuo (meditation).

Note:

"The sitting datzuo can only be used for recuperation but never as the main method. (As a medicinal method the sitting can be used for those who have problems with hypotension of the heart and hyperemia, but not too long sitting)." - Teacher of Single Yang

I know you have seen other posts recently mentioning the diference between Xing and Ming practice, I guess it flew over your head and you did not understand it at all.

Edited by LaoZiDao
  • Like 1

I am glad that I have a challenger. It seems to me that I can understand myself better every time that I need to explain something to someone. I have noticed there are quite a few Taoists, came on board, graduated from 武當, Wudang Mountain, China. I have been exposed to many Taoist terms. I can google anything to match what you have said. However, it is not a matter of understanding but how much do I want to believe them.

My practice is not an immortal approach. I rather stay healthy with some great mental power. All this talk about yin shen and yang jing is out of my reach and really not my main interest.

Most people perform dazuo with different purposes to accomplish whatever their intentions were. I can only discuss my purpose and my goal of accomplishment and experience. To make the story short, it is not my interest to go into an argument about something which is beyond my beliefs.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Wudang? What's this even related to. Also blind belief is not a part if Daoism.

Alchemy is accepted by its serious practitioners that the methods and practices of Neidan were empirically validated by previous masters. For this reason, the teachers role is not to prove, but rather to transmit. It is the students responsibility to validate the training for himself. That is, you are not required to believe it to be true, but to practice the methods and experience them for yourself. Neither belief nor proof is required, only realization.

There are levels of understanding which are based upon the students commitment/success in practice.

All a teacher can do is teach. You have to do your own practice.

Either way, your previous comment shows you have no interest and that is fine, that is the path you are ready for, so be it.

修心養性 begins with Dazuo(打坐) which known as Zazen or meditation. 修心 is to cultivate the heart(mind). Why cultivate the heart....??? The ancients once thought that the heart is the center of the human body, thus everything originates and begins with the heart. 性(xing) is the character of the body. 養性 is to keep the 性 in a pure state and not contaminated by external influences.

修心 is actually cultivating the mind by purification. In order to purify the mind, it is by emptying it all out. That is why one needs to 入室靜坐(quiet sitting within a secluded room).

TBC...

Edited by ChiDragon

He whom claims there is but one way to achieve a goal, does not understand nature or Tao.

If anyone implies that Jing Zuo cannot be used to cultivate the spirit. I have the following to say:

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those doing it.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those doing it.

I love this quote!

My only criticism is that the ones logging in and reading ChiDragon's soliloquy have already interrupted their own practice - you can't blame that on ChiDragon!

;)

Enjoy your practice!

Interruption was only caused by those who think they are being interrupted in their own minds. If one's 定力 was strongly sat in place, then interruption does not exist. Indeed, one cannot be effected by external influences.

• Like 1

修心養性 begins with Dazuo(打坐) which known as Zazen or meditation. 修心 is to cultivate the heart(mind). Why cultivate the heart....??? The ancients once thought that the heart is the center of the human body, thus everything originates and begins with the heart. 性(xing) is the character of the body. 養性 is to keep the 性 in a pure state and not contaminated by external influences.

修心 is actually cultivating the mind by purification. In order to purify the mind, it is by emptying it all out. That is why one needs to 入室靜坐(quiet sitting within a secluded room).

TBC...

Since I don't see any interruption on my part, let's continue.....

Emptying the mind is to put oneself in, 虛靜, vacuous and serene. It take one to, 修練, cultivate and practice. 練 is the refine process in practice to get to the end result. From the beginning of the process to the final result was said the be 修( cultivation). The learning curve from intuition during practice is enlightenment. Whenever one has accomplished 虛靜(vacuous and serene) through 修練(cultivate and practice) with proficiency, it was said to be that one has been reached the perfection in the art of meditation.

Notes:

Vacuous: Showing no sign of intelligence or sensitive feelings.

Edited by ChiDragon

The purpose of mediation is to attain a vacuous and serene state for the mind. It is to clear the mind and put it into an initialized state for better mentality and physical being. Throughout life, one had learnt many things including the truths and fallacies. When we were young we had heard lots of legendary stories and learnt lots of fairy tales forming lots of generalizations. However, it is difficult to sort out the truth from the fallacies without a cleare mind. Sometimes, without a clear mind, our bodies were uncoordinated which causing mistakes in our movements. Indeed, with the help of mediation, one can cultivate the mind to have more logical thinking and more coordination for the body movements. Holistically, the body functions better.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this