SaiyaMan

Immovable Tai Chi Master

Quite a while ago I came across video on here that had a Tai Chi master on a chinese TV show where different people would try to push him out of a circle. I also remember them having a bodybuilder try and fail at pushing him. I can't find it anywhere on here or through google for the last 2 days (probably because the title was written in Chinese). Does anyone have the link to the video by any chance?

Thanks!

Better question, does anyone remember which stance that was?

It's always the same one for there demonstrations and all I know it's a zhan zhuang looking one but don't know if it has its own name

As long as it wasn't one of those bs everyone stand in a line one after another all pushing ones...

Got shown that trick in class once :).

It may be this video. GM Chen Xiaowang is against the strongest man in China. It really begins around 19:39

edited for misprint

Edited by shenshu
  • Like 4

It may be this video. GM Chen Xiaowang is against the strongest man in China. It really begins around 19:39

edited for misprint

Thats the one! Thank you very much :D

• Like 1

Yeah he's the strongest man in china, and his specialty is also pushing. Pretty awesome!

Better question, does anyone remember which stance that was?

It's always the same one for there demonstrations and all I know it's a zhan zhuang looking one but don't know if it has its own name

Bow and arrow stance

Simple physics trick. I lost a lot of respect for Xiao Wang after seeing this years ago.

Now if he were to put his hands on top of the big guys shoulders, that would be some impressive rooting. I will say that he hides it very well. One of the better executed tricks for sure.

• Like 2

It is a good training method, we do that in class a lot. We play around with being pushed, pushing the other, rooting ourselves, uprooting the other, and some energy stuff as well to enhance both of those :). It does help to get some good principals.

Also, it's all about angles :). If you do it right, the harder they push, the more they push you into the ground and root you.

It gets a LOT more difficult when you have an experienced martial artist doing the pushing!!

Also the bunch of people in a line, they actually push *less* each new person they add on.

I've heard lots of good things about CXW, just talking about this stuff in general.

Yeah he's the strongest man in china, and his specialty is also pushing. Pretty awesome!

Yes, he is good at pushing inanimate objects. Maybe if he was allowed to 'break opponents Ki' first ... and then push ?

Amongst others, Fong Ha effortlessly demos his immovable root all the time.. Even world-renowned strength coach, Paul Chek, couldn't move him.

The amazing thing though is that Fong can do this in ANY position, even while sitting down with this feet off the ground (maybe not against a really strong guy though, I don't know)!

But good luck if you can understand his stream-of-koans and figure out how he does it, though! :lol:

Yeah no doubt that Xiao Wang has some skill and knowledge, one could learn a lot from him. It's sad though that his greed or need for more fame caused him to resort to such cheap stunts.

It can be a useful skill if you happen to get caught off guard in a stand up grappling situation, but of course all the vital targets of the face, neck and head are wide open and both your hands are already trapped below, so it's really not very practical.

Simple physics trick. I lost a lot of respect for Xiao Wang after seeing this years ago.

I was told that Taijiquan has a lot to do with physics. The more I see someone mastering physics, the greater respect I have for her/him.

As for miraculous things done with qi, I am open to them but this is not what I am looking for as far as Taijiquan is concerned.

Not trying to be confrontational , just my 2 cts.

Yeah no doubt that Xiao Wang has some skill and knowledge, one could learn a lot from him. It's sad though that his greed or need for more fame caused him to resort to such cheap stunts.

It can be a useful skill if you happen to get caught off guard in a stand up grappling situation, but of course all the vital targets of the face, neck and head are wide open and both your hands are already trapped below, so it's really not very practical.

:D Yes ... what I said in post 13 ... break 'ki' first ( a head butt to the face, some fingers in the eyes and a big toe in the testicles might break the 'ki' )

:D Yes ... what I said in post 13 ... break 'ki' first ( a head butt to the face, some fingers in the eyes and a big toe in the testicles might break the 'ki' )

Tickling them/jab to either side of the ribs works too <grin>

• Like 1

I was told that Taijiquan has a lot to do with physics. The more I see someone mastering physics, the greater respect I have for her/him.

As for miraculous things done with qi, I am open to them but this is not what I am looking for as far as Taijiquan is concerned.

Not trying to be confrontational , just my 2 cts.

It has great analogical value IMO

If I am told to line up my body and push my weight through that it doesn't work as well as holding my 4 principles and extending ki through my opponent. But then again I am logically a materialist ... but artistically a mystic ;)

Tickling them/jab to either side of the ribs works too <grin>

Of course ... but that is just because you are a nicer person than me ;)