Sign in to follow this  
FluidSound

Hello

Hello.

I'm only somewhat a daoist. I do not understand the Dao as well as I could or as anyone else that's more knoweldged than myself, but I study both the Eastern and Western philosophies. I've also been a practitioner of Tai Ji Quan for about 3 or 4 years both martially and for health reasons. Perhaps, I concentrate too much on the martial aspect too often. However, I practice the form often and have the first lu memorized religiously. However, there are 4 lus. Though, I never seem to progress because I wish to improve heavily before moving on.

I guess, I want to ask advice even in the intro, if it's okay.

Whenever I see my classmates move, they wish to proceed fast and learn everything as fast as possible. I don't know why, but I disagree with this mindset. I take the time to learn the first and second lu very, very well without proceeding any further until I am confident of it... Though, I must admit, I feel that perhaps I am jealous that my classmates can remember the techniques so easily, but I cannot. I worry about the small details before proceeding and wish I can do so well.

Does anyone have advice?

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the Tao Bums. You will find no shortage of advice here but I really do not think that there is anything to worry about in moving forward slowly. Tai Chi is a process of constant refinement and whilst some want to push on to get to the end of a form many, like you, are happy to improve upon what they already know.

If you post your questions in the Taoist Discussion section you will find no shortage of answers. First though, before you post, please read the two posts pinned at the top of the Lobby and also take a look at the forum terms and rules http://thetaobums.com/topic/19575-forum-terms-rules/ This covers all you need be aware of to get along on this easy going forum.

Good luck and best wishes,

Chang.

Perhaps, I concentrate too much on the martial aspect too often. However, I practice the form often and have the first lu memorized religiously. However, there are 4 lus. Though, I never seem to progress because I wish to improve heavily before moving on.

I guess, I want to ask advice even in the intro, if it's okay.

Whenever I see my classmates move, they wish to proceed fast and learn everything as fast as possible. I don't know why, but I disagree with this mindset. I take the time to learn the first and second lu very, very well without proceeding any further until I am confident of it... Though, I must admit, I feel that perhaps I am jealous that my classmates can remember the techniques so easily, but I cannot. I worry about the small details before proceeding and wish I can do so well.

Does anyone have advice?

I'm in a somewhat similar situation, but can only offer the advice I've been given by my Li Tai Chi Instructors.

Above all, stay relaxed (both in mind & body). Don't worry about what anyone else is doing, or how they're progressing. everybody must learn at their own pace.

Concentrate on improving what you know, trying to rush ahead too fast will probably only slow your progress.

Knowing & fully understanding a martial application means that you're more likely to perform the movement / technique / or sequence, correctly.

The entire Tai chi form should be seemless, a non tai chi bystander watching you, shouldn't be able to spot where one move finishes & the next move begins.

There are quite a few hints & tips, but these have served me well.

Basher (still learning)

Sign in to follow this