Coaster

I now understand Limits on Editing

For years, I posted in various Forums which only allowed you to Edit your posts for a certain length of time, OR only until someone posted a reply.

Finally, from reading TTB, I understand Why !

Unlike any other Forum, TTB has many threads "that mysteriously come out of nowhere and discuss an unknown topic". :D

My guess is that Martial Arts attracts guys with low self-esteem. These guys will post something to start a thread, a vigorous discussion ensues, OP decides he is wrong, and then deletes virtually everything in the OP. (so that there is no evidence of his wrong statement)

The result is a discussion about a "secret" issue. :D

I think this results in lots of ruined threads littering the Forum, some of which are possibly about interesting topics. So, I now understand why there should be a limit on editing one's posts.

So, what is the current implementation ? Are there limits on editing one's posts ?

What you are stating is the reason we experimented with a time limit on editing posts, but that experiment failed.

Ultimately TTBs places a high value on members being able to control their own communication (though not others').

• Like 7

Yeah, its disconcerting but we had a couple of experiments with a few different editing schemes earlier this year. Ultimately it was decided to leave it alone. No editing limitations. Instead we tend to throw threads that go out of control or get derailed into The Pit section. All in all I don't think it happens to often enough in the bums to warrant automatic lock outs.

• Like 2

Here is a fictional example, but similar to what I see happening here at TTB:

OP posts " I think Standing Qigong is dumb. It's so much better to have movement, it's like a dance! Bagua Rules !"

Then various people post a variety of interesting positive things about Standing Qigong and then the last post is a quote from a Bagua master extolling benefits of Standing.

OP thinks "I look like an idiot" and then erases the entire OP (or else replaces it with some arbitrary profundity having nothing to do with the topic).

At this point, when one does a search, one wonders why all these people are talking about Standing Qigong...

• Like 1

Here is a fictional example, but similar to what I see happening here at TTB:

OP posts " I think Standing Qigong is dumb. It's so much better to have movement, it's like a dance! Bagua Rules !" ...

And?

After enough posts we tend to know wheat from chaff.

It takes more then re-editing a post to look smert.

• Like 3

Standing qigong does suck though...I kid I kid. If someone quotes the OP then I think the actual post is here to stay, unless the guy doin the quoting edits it.

• Like 1

Maybe the new Operating Procedure (for those of us that HATE, HATE, HATE :angry: posts that are "drastically" edited, after being replied to), should be for the second poster to quote the OP in it's entirity...every single time. ;)

(Brave sir Robin [then] ran away....) LOL

• Like 2

I completely agree with your point, but we've already been through this. There's a thread on it. Pretty much all these points have been discusses already.

I'm fine with time limits on editing. But clearly the majority of the bums are not. And I understand their argument, and agree, to a point. So here we are.

• Like 1

For "discusses" read discussed .......... :D:D :D

Pretty much all these points have been discusses already.

Yeah thanks for the clarification. :)

I don't proof read enough. Which is especially dangerous on an ipad that likes to anticipate what I'm writing and change words on me...

To the OP: Some threads also seem broken because posts that may have contained insults/derailing are now in the pit. I've read some that seem to have an opening post and then continue from quotes that seem to come from nowhere. I agree it can be confusing but bear with it. ;)

Edited by xor

from the op;

"Unlike any other Forum, TTB"

:D

aint that the truth?! !

""that mysteriously come out of nowhere and discuss an unknown topic"."

very Tao-like, isnt it?

• Like 3