Yen Hui

Taoist Levitation

but you know what.. forget i even posted anything. All of this has nothing to do with meditation and tao practice. I wanted to share some ideas to people similar interest on this forum. Not debate on how people should be speaking and posting. This will be my last post. I'm sorry i even bothered...

Hey man, don`t leave just because of a few perhaps rude or something posts. And sometimes it`s hard to figure out whether people are being rude or not, because you don`t see them or hear them. Also, often you have to deal with rude people in real life, if folks on an internet forum get to you, what will happen in real life? See it as an opportunity, use it for training or something. Anyway, I hope you stay.

Well, with all due respect, I feel that the "why" has already been answered, but you have not been able to

receive it. In all humility I say you must learn acceptance first and only then will the light of understanding

begin to dawn upon you.

My apologies! I must be a poor communicator on this point.

I accept and understand your explanations for why. Though they are not congruent with my understanding of where the path of Taoism lies.

It's all cool dude. The desire to be super-human is completely understandable. I don't know of a culture through history that hasn't had some fascination with this.

I'm just way old-fashioned - maybe ancient-fashioned is a better way to put it. :D

Peace my friend - and have a safe flight. ;)

老子:「道德经」:第七十一章

知不知,尚矣﹔不知知,病也。

圣人不病,以其病病。

夫唯病病,是以不病。

Laozi: "Dao De Jing": 71st chapter

Who recognizes his limitations is healthy;

Who ignores his limitations is sick.

The sage recognizes this sickness as a limitation.

And so becomes immune.

My apologies! I must be a poor communicator on this point.

I accept and understand your explanations for why. Though they are not congruent with my understanding of where the path of Taoism lies.

It's all cool dude. The desire to be super-human is completely understandable. I don't know of a culture through history that hasn't had some fascination with this.

I'm just way old-fashioned - maybe ancient-fashioned is a better way to put it. :D

Peace my friend - and have a safe flight. ;)

It's a little scary joining in here as a newby, not too sure whether I'm even going to end up replying to the right bit, but........

Just wanted to sat that I'm in agreement with the turtle here in as much as supernormal accomplishments are not necessarily to everyone's taste in terms of our individual paths - this does not mean that they are either codswallop or unnecessary. I began my own journey many years ago with Taoism, strongly flavoured by a Zen ethos that saw supernatural powers as 'pointless' as in 'My master can also perform amazing feats - when he's tired, he sleeps. When hungry, he eats.' From there I studied with the Tibetan tantric tradition where siddhis - powers - were seen as crucial pointers along one's path. But for me, personally, my heart always remained more at home with the Zen approach.

Still I trained for thirteen years as a tantrika. I guess what I'm trying to say (very badly!) is that I think it comes down to personal temperament and one's path. Both approaches are valid, whatever motivates you to do the do.

Incidentally, the Tibetans have lung-ta running about which I'm sure there's all manner of information readily available now.

Peace,

ZenB

supernormal accomplishments are not necessarily to everyone's taste in terms of our individual paths - this does not mean that they are either codswallop or unnecessary. I began my own journey many years ago with Taoism, strongly flavoured by a Zen ethos that saw supernatural powers as 'pointless' as in 'My master can also perform amazing feats - when he's tired, he sleeps. When hungry, he eats.'

Bingo!

I love that word "codswallop."

Zen ethos has a significant congruity with Ancient Taoism. I dig it.

And though we disagree about "the why" for things, I also dig Yen Hui. :)

I'm not meaning to be critical, just curious about the motivation for your thinking. Wait, wait. I don't question the motivation for your thinking - I question it's relevance to "Taoist levitation."

Isn't it obvious? To live your dreams & dream your life. As more information is revealed a certain individual sameness is encountered in which fear is obliterated and the union of subject object congeals. The obviousness of not dispelling observations and perceptions from the process seems plain. To have preconceived notions is setting yourself up for failure in one way or another. The point here is not the fantastic sounding nature or levitation, it is the ordinary experience in which the seeker finds extraordinary.

Ok, let me be more clear. I recognize the potential value ... but I fail to see how it justifies the need (or desire) for "Taoist levitation."

Taoist mind/body practices does its job in stripping away the ego of the practitioner. Deconditioning I suppose. True learning is forgetting conditioned patterns and returning to a natural state. Nature Mind. Yi.

If the sensation of floating is experiences in sitting or standing meditation, most people leave these things unsaid or confide in their mentors.

Philosophical Taoism is about achieving harmony by reducing friction with what is natural (my explanation of philosophical Taoism in a nutshell). This can be as base as taking a really good sh|t. "Taoist levitation" seems to me to be an oxymoron.

I think proper practice reduces the effects of inertia on the practitioner.

I can't think up one thing that would help me feel better. I can do many.

The simplicity of good a movement speaks for itself, the movement is the thought, there is no thought that is not movement, thoughtless movement... motionless thought.

What does it achieve? Other than to say "whoa! that dude can levitate."

Peace of mind

Spectrum

Edited by Spectrum

If the sensation of floating is experiences in sitting or standing meditation, most people leave these things unsaid or confide in their mentors.

Peace of mind

Gotcha. 我明白。

Another curiosity motivated question if you don't mind. Are you speaking of levitation of the actual physical vessel - or levitation of the de-conditioned mind?

You know. Come to think of it - after un-learning - neither or either would be relevant. No answer is needed.

That's the blessing of un-learning - to not have an answer is a satisfactory as having one.

Peace,

:lol:

maybe, having a good grasp on his sense of humor, they meant flatulence?

=)

we may never know...

(oops 'scuse me - i think i'm a bit gassey just now - i must be riding on the wind)

i dont know the future but it sure beholds levitation :lol:

i have forgotten everything i ever read

having seen the light i am not enlightened :lol::lol::lol:

i wish you your wishes

love

"the future...beholds levitation" is something that probably occupied many human minds since it first saw a bird fly.

Yet, we humans are not all floating around in the clouds 10,000 some years later.

I accept the fact that I am human, and that a desire to levitate is a desire to be other than human.

Who recognizes his limitations is healthy;

Who ignores his limitations is sick.

The sage recognizes this sickness as a limitation.

And so becomes immune.

desire = discontent = friction

Peace,

Hi all,

Seriously, aren't we making this levitation thing way more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I thought it was a generally accepted fact that in order to fly, all you have to do is throw yourself at the ground--and miss.

:D

Chris