Yen Hui

Taoist Levitation

Hello Everyone ~

As many of may know, Chuang Tzu says that Leih Tzu "rode upon the wind." Many such similar statements

can be found in the Taoist Classics. Such statements clearly refer to the art of levitation and teleportation.

What I'd like to know is whether or not these arts are being openly taught today, and by whom? Is this part

of Sifu John Chang's curriculum, or any other contemporary lineage holders? Lastly, does anyone here know

of any Taoist writings that give detailed instructions on how to physically levitate and "ride upon the wind"?

Thanks ~ Yen Hui

i would think that these statements were alagorical.

imho.

John Chang can do it - I believe he said he uses yin qi and it's not that big a deal. I think he can go up about 2' but not really move around, though.

Feng Zhiqiang also said he witnessed Hu Yao Zhen do it while meditating.

hu_yao_zhen.jpg

I'm sure there's many more examples...

That one phrase could refer to a lot of things, though - so I wouldn't just assume it meant levitation.

A friend of mine did the yoga hops with the TM movement... it's a real phenomenon, but nobody he knew could stay in the air or go very far. In the Hindu tradition, the practice is called samyama and you can go to advancedyogapractices.com for more info. Apparently, you have to be fairly gifted to get off the ground... doesn't work for everyone.

Just like getting good at business or soccer etc can develop positive qualities that will advance your spiritual practices, so to can siddhis. Also, siddhis are very effective as a tool for inspiring others to practice harder, so they are a useful axillary skill.

Smoke em if you got em.

Yoda

There are legend also that says Lao Tzu shed his skin like a snake and walked into heaven.

Spectrum

Edited by Spectrum

There are legend also that says Lao Tzu shed his skin like a snake and walked into heaven.

Spectrum

Jeez do I ever like that. In a story, I've got Lao Tzu as a character that shapeshifts between human, snake, and one other form. And he leads others to the path of heaven, often by means of trickery.

A friend of mine did the yoga hops with the TM movement... it's a real phenomenon, but nobody he knew could stay in the air or go very far. In the Hindu tradition, the practice is called samyama and you can go to advancedyogapractices.com for more info. Apparently, you have to be fairly gifted to get off the ground... doesn't work for everyone.

Just like getting good at business or soccer etc can develop positive qualities that will advance your spiritual practices, so to can siddhis. Also, siddhis are very effective as a tool for inspiring others to practice harder, so they are a useful axillary skill.

Smoke em if you got em.

Yoda

A person on the shaolin forums that seemed pretty knowledgeable associated the hops to embryonic breathing. Not sure if this is true though.

Believe it or not. One thing that can't be denied is that he's got one badass costume! Check out the cape! I've never seen a master wear a cape before.

Could this just be something the Ripley's crew suggested and brought along or is this some sort of awesome taoist costume I don't know about.

Maybe we can all get one... :)

^ Yes, that is known as "qing gong" (light skill).

Basically, you have to learn to sever your root to the earth.

I know one qigong master whose father supposedly could jump up to a 2nd-story.

And another Taijiquan teacher who claimed hers could jump as high and far as the top of a gymnasium!

Note - these ladies were in their 60s which tells you what era their fathers were back in. These abilities are far rarer today.

As far as the "yogic hops," I saw a flyer for yogic "levitation" back in college and was really disappointed to see it was really just people bouncing on a mattress. :rolleyes:

^ Yes, that is known as "qing gong" (light skill).

I know one qigong master whose father supposedly could jump up to a 2nd-story.

And another Taijiquan teacher who claimed hers could jump as high and far as the top of a gymnasium!

Note - these ladies were in their 60s which tells you what era their fathers were back in. These abilities are far rarer today.

As far as the "yogic hops," I saw a flyer for yogic "levitation" back in college and was really disappointed to see it was really just people bouncing on a mattress. :rolleyes:

this resonates in me

cutting the earthly bond

yes it could happen

that someone could levitate

but why? these are parlor tricks

Sounds like an appallingly bad idea, to be honest.

Sounds like an appallingly bad idea, to be honest.

I suspect it's probably coupled with establishing a stronger root to your inner earth. :huh:

I wonder if astranaughts did some dilligent qi gong, learn to connect deeply with their inner earth - would they lose less bone mass?

Internal and External were blended into

Unity. After that, there was no distinction between eye and ear, ear and nose, nose and mouth: all were the

same. My mind was frozen, my body in dissolution, my flesh and bones all melted together. I was wholly

unconscious of what my body was resting on, or what was under my feet. I was borne this way and that on the

wind, like dry chaff or leaves falling from a tree. In fact, I knew not whether the wind was riding on me or I on

the wind.

Not sure if any of this refers to levitation. I think expanded perception would cover it nicely.

Yes, very good! Lieh Tzu was the wind! He transcended the state of seperation, into that of unity and Oneness

with tao, and in that state all things are possible, including "physical" teleportation! When mind and body are

truly One!

sitting in this chair

the entire universe lays open

where is there to go?

everywhere is everything and nothing.

fly away if you wish

I can see how someone who is into zen would arrive at this viewpoint.

But in Traditional Taoist practice, these "parlor tricks" are byproducts of practice and more importantly, indicators of your progress along a specific Gong, from what I understand.

A certain Gong from a certain lineage is transmitted to you, you do the practice, when such and such ability develops, this is a signal that you are ready to move on to the next thing.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

the GONG show

this is really silly

have your "lineage transmissions"

this thing is your birthright

it cannot be transmitted, there are no ancient holy ones.

IMHO

forgive my boldness

p

As many of may know, Chuang Tzu says that Leih Tzu "rode upon the wind." Many such similar statements can be found in the Taoist Classics.

ZhaungZi would also be the first person to tell you that words are silly, empty, meaningless things - and words are also very powerful things.

For example, some people may take metaphorical writing literally - and actually think that an integral being would be interested in making a physical object levitate. Why would person so in-tune with vital energy that they could use it to levitate a human body do so? A bit wasteful don't you think?

ZhaungZi was a punster and a joker. And Chinese is a language that is hugely contextually based. The probability that phrases such as this are metaphor or allegory is very high.

Don't mean to be a buzz-kill, that's just my take on it.