Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

The use of 'ripe' language in Personal Messaging

I'm thinking of using some choice words to answer a PM sent to me. Words involving sexual partners, lineage, darker theological possibilities etc.,

Is that allowed? Again this would only be written into a Personal Message, not for whole board consumption.

Sincerely

Michael

Edited by thelerner

Michael,

We haven't really mapped out what is allowed via pm. Certainly it is considerably broader than what is allowed in public posts. However, if someone feels they are really being attacked (or some other concern), they can 'report' a pm and it will go to the mod reports section just like reporting a public post... It used to be that then the mod could 'join' (see) the pm conversation, but my experience is that that has been disabled. Meaning, we get the report with the single post from pm conversation but can't join the conversation.

Sorry that it's pretty vague, but that's kind of as far as we've gotten. Certainly a lot more latitude in pm conversations. What that latitude is, we haven't defined.

Also, any member can block pm's from any other member, so that solves a lot. :)

- Keith

p.s.

I really enjoy your short stories and other writings that you post. Refreshing, fun, well done. :)

p.s.

If a member#1 insulted a member#2 in a pm, and #2 responded with "fuck you" ... I'd probably allow it. A provoked response, via pm.

If someone gave an unprovoked strong attack (of any sort) and reported the pm, I'd probably warn those involved.

So what does that say?: Could go either way, lol. Up to the people involved, situational. Certainly stronger language is not categorically off limits in pms vs what would be in public posts.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

OOahmnnn. I will try the wisdom of walking away. Though, thats not been working well this week. IB has sent me 3 PM posts in my mail box, which I haven't answered. Each tends to dwell on how much I need to be prayed for and mentions how a sand bag and bucket won't stop a tsunami. And 2 or 3 onboard posts ending similarly. Thus I'd like to say 'Fuck Off you jerk', but I think he'd welcome the attention and warmed by the thought somehow.

You can go to your ignore settings and there's a check box to block pm's next to ignore posts.

Then he won't be able to send you a pm at all, period. :)

• Like 1

You can go to your ignore settings and there's a check box to block pm's next to ignore posts.

Then he won't be able to send you a pm at all, period. :)

Nah, its good training. There's a world of IB's out there. If you can't handle one skillfully and maturely online, what's gonna happen in real life.

• Like 1

au contraire, I tend to be too quick to anger. Thankfully I chill out equally quick and don't hold grudges. Not only did I have a long list of profanities about to launch, I also had incredibly clever lines about what a master debater he was and complimenting his cunning linguistiics, that no one could be as holy as he was. Instead of sleeping I spent hours refining a comedy routine. Sad.

• Like 2

I use to love writing huge abusive tirades :) Always made me feel good as long as I deleted them rather than sending them :lol:

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this