Sign in to follow this  
Isimsiz Biri

Lone Wolf and Cub - Kozure Ōkami

Great manga, tv series and cinema movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Lone-Wolf-Cub-Boxset/dp/B002MPTIYK/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1383899619&sr=1-1&keywords=lone+wolf+and+cub

I have watched the seventh movie of the set in 1983-1984 in my youth without knowing the original story and the first six movies. I have discovered the series by watching the original TV series episodes uploaded by user named as japaneseclassics in Youtube. For TV series, there are three seasons, each season 26 episodes, each episode is 45 minutes long. I strongly recommend to watch TV series before purchasing the DVD set.

Kinnosuke (Nakamura) Yorozuya played Ogami Ittō in the TV series. In my opinion, as an actor, Kinnosuke Yorozuya of tv series is much better than Tomisaburo Wakayama of DVD set. Kinnosuke Yorozuya's interpretation of the character really reflects the soul of Bushido. The only disadvantage of Kinnosuke Yorozuya is about the actions scenes, since he is not a real martial artist, but an actor only, his action scenes' level is not high. On the other hand, Tomisaburo Wakayama of DVD set has a 4th dan black belt in Judo and he practiced kenpō, iaidō, kendo, and bōjutsu. Thus, in action scenes, Tomisaburo Wakayama is naturally much better compared to Kinnosuke Yorozuya.

The TV series and the DVD set are complementary to each other. TV series are much successful in story, the reality of the story, the acting, etc. The DVD set are successful in action scenes. Although the story is complete fiction, (comes from a manga) it reflects the Japanese society culture very well.

One more point should be mentioned: Tokugawa Ieyasu (1543-1616 A.D.), the founder and first shogun of Tokugawa Shogunate, is a really important figure in Japanese history. He brought peace to Japan ending the bloody civil wars between daimyos. Thus, there were no civil war in Japan between 1600 - 1850 under the rule of Tokugawa Shogunate. Tokugawa Ieyasu is portrayed as an evil man in the seventh movie, but not in in the original story and the six movies. His character is much more balanced in TV series. Please remember that, in real life, there had been no Kogi Kaishakunin (the Shōgun's executioner) and no Ogami Ittō, no Lone Wolf and Cub. The complete story is fiction and has no relation with real historical persons and events. Just to be fair to historical reality and historical characters, one should remember that Tokugawa Ieyasu was one of the greatest leaders in Japanese history and respect must be shown to his memory.

I watched the TV series a few years ago and enjoyed the embodiment of the protagonist's mindset. Definitely not made to wow people with action all the time - not shallow like that.

The sword fighting encounters were among the most exciting and tense movie encounters I can remember. Just waiting for that one move that could end it all is often way more entertaining than endless fighting - it teaches the viewer to cultivate the same depth of awareness that the protagonist has and thus connects us with the character, making us walk in his shoes to some degree.

• Like 1

Nungali,

Stop derailing this thread. This is not about Zatoichi.

If you want to say something about Zatoichi, open a new thread.

Now go away!

You can blame me.

still prefer Shintaro Katsu:

"He was born Toshio Okumura (奥村 利夫 Okumura Toshio) on November 29, 1931. He was the son of kabuki performer Katsutoji Kineya (Kineya Katsutōji) who was renowned for his nagauta and shamisen skills, and younger brother of actor Tomisaburo Wakayama (Wakayama Tomisaburō).

Shintaro Katsu began his career in entertainment as a shamisen player. He switched to acting because he noticed it was better paid.

Katsu produced the manga-based Lone Wolf and Cub (Kozure Okami) series of jidaigeki films starring his brother Tomisaburo Wakayama which were later compiled into the movie Shogun Assassin, as well as co-writing, producing, and acting alongside his brother in the TV series "Oshi Samurai" ("The Mute Samurai").

" -Wikipedia

Edited by Mark Foote
  • Like 1

You can blame me.

still prefer Shintaro Katsu:

"He was born Toshio Okumura (奥村 利夫 Okumura Toshio) on November 29, 1931. He was the son of kabuki performer Katsutoji Kineya (Kineya Katsutōji) who was renowned for his nagauta and shamisen skills, and younger brother of actor Tomisaburo Wakayama (Wakayama Tomisaburō).

Shintaro Katsu began his career in entertainment as a shamisen player. He switched to acting because he noticed it was better paid.

Katsu produced the manga-based Lone Wolf and Cub (Kozure Okami) series of jidaigeki films starring his brother Tomisaburo Wakayama which were later compiled into the movie Shogun Assassin, as well as co-writing, producing, and acting alongside his brother in the TV series "Oshi Samurai" ("The Mute Samurai").

" -Wikipedia

Thank you for the information. I never noticed the connection Shintaro Katsu and Tomisaburo Wakayama. As I mentioned in the first post, Tomisaburo Wakayama has a martial arts past thus he seems better in fight scenes.

An interesting note the Suio (Water) style has been mentioned in the story. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sui%C5%8D-ry%C5%AB)

As far as I remember, it was a coincidence that in the manga Suio name was given. Later, some katas of Suio Ryu have been incorporated into third season of TV series.

Still, I prefer Kinnosuke (Nakamura) Yorozuya as actor, it is my preference though.

• Like 1

Isimsiz Biri, are you a kendo practitioner?- I don't know anything about kendo, it was great to read about the Suio (Water) style on Wikipedia after you mentioned it above.

Zato Ichi's swordplay I think is entirely fantasy, but I love it: looks to me like he pulls the sword from the hilt in a circular or figure-eight motion, and I'm thinking it's entirely original with Shintaro Katsu but I have to wonder. Ok, reading on Asia Shock, looks like Katsu didn't have any martial-arts training, but probably was very experienced in "Tate", or stage fighting, from his work in Kabuki. I remember having fun swinging a jo like that in the panhandle in San Francisco, long time ago; figure-eights with a stick resonate with me, somehow.

Isimsiz Biri, are you a kendo practitioner?- I don't know anything about kendo, it was great to read about the Suio (Water) style on Wikipedia after you mentioned it above.

Zato Ichi's swordplay I think is entirely fantasy, but I love it: looks to me like he pulls the sword from the hilt in a circular or figure-eight motion, and I'm thinking it's entirely original with Shintaro Katsu but I have to wonder. Ok, reading on Asia Shock, looks like Katsu didn't have any martial-arts training, but probably was very experienced in "Tate", or stage fighting, from his work in Kabuki. I remember having fun swinging a jo like that in the panhandle in San Francisco, long time ago; figure-eights with a stick resonate with me, somehow.

No, sir. I have not practiced Kendo. I would love to. I would like to introduce the web site

http://www.koryu.com/.

Especially, have a look at list of ryuha (schools)

http://www.koryu.com/guide/ryuguide.html

The Suio Ryu (http://www.koryu.com/guide/suio.html)

http://www.suioryu-usa.org/

I would especially recommend you to watch "Samurai - Miyamoto Musashi Documentary (Mark Dacascos)" in Youtube, it is a 01:28:20 long documentary. I can not give the direct link, I am sorry, but I think you would like it. "Samurai Spirit -Kendo" in Youtube is also good.

Thank you.

Zatoichi uses one hand reverse grip; forehand - down at 45* deflect then backhand counter - cutting up at 45* - very quick, one move. Many similar moves are executed when using karma - sickle . I practice both sword and karma (and other weapons). It can be a very effective move.

Edited by Nungali

Zatoichi uses one hand reverse grip; forehand - down at 45* deflect then backhand counter - cutting up at 45* - very quick, one move. Many similar moves are executed when using karma - sickle . I practice both sword and karma (and other weapons). It can be a very effective move.

What you practice and develop is your Nafs, not the weapons.

"the nafs has a rosary and a Koran in its right hand, and a scimitar and dagger in the sleeve.” Rumi.

My Nafs has developed , but only up to the stage of nafs-i-radiyya, where ; “ One is pleased with whatever comes from Allah and doesn’t live in the past or future, but in the moment." It is essential for good sword practice and enjoyment of life (but you already know that from Samurai tradition).

Beware of Hasad.

Nungali,

Stop derailing this thread. This is not about Zatoichi.

If you want to say something about Zatoichi, open a new thread.

Now go away!

This thread, like every other thread is about polite discourse. What you have engaged in here isn't polite discourse. There is a much nicer way of saying this and you really have no right to demand anything of anyone, so I would recommend asking politely instead.

Aaron

• Like 2

I never watched the movies, but I read the entire Manga as a teenager and absolutely loved it. The story is amazing and it certainly had an impact on my view of the idealized ronin.

Aaron

You guys are deep, thanks.

Try the movement yourself with a jo … it seems to lend itself to the movement.

There is a good example of one application in 20 Shuburi @ Shuburi 13 ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R9XqrT8UMA

No 13 @ 4:21 .

Application (one of) ; strike at opponent, he moves back to let strike past, then moves in to take the swung arm on the outside, but you step back as you strike ( reverse one hand grip backhand) increasing the distance so the opponent can not enter close enough and you strike him or his arms/hands.

Can also be adapted for bokkan , the first swing is to meet and deflect opponents sword second move is counter strike (reverse the footwork for bokkan) …. It also has value as unexpected and unorthodox move,

[ This is not taught in aikido nor the sword school I was in ... I see it as one benefit of 'cross-training' . But I defeated opponents in both schools with this move ... too 'in the box' ;) ... also this not kendo ... no armour ... one must be able to stop a hair away from the opponent, - show ma'ai skill and respect for partner. ]

Edited by Nungali

This thread, like every other thread is about polite discourse. What you have engaged in here isn't polite discourse. There is a much nicer way of saying this and you really have no right to demand anything of anyone, so I would recommend asking politely instead.

Aaron

Don't worry he gave me good and kind advice at post 13 to make up for it <bows to Isimsiz Biri >

Aaron

Polite discourse? With Nungali? Are you kidding?

• Like 1

"the nafs has a rosary and a Koran in its right hand, and a scimitar and dagger in the sleeve.” Rumi.

My Nafs has developed , but only up to the stage of nafs-i-radiyya, where ; “ One is pleased with whatever comes from Allah and doesn’t live in the past or future, but in the moment." It is essential for good sword practice and enjoyment of life (but you already know that from Samurai tradition).

Beware of Hasad.

If Nafs is developed just as in your case, you enter a way to be a monster in the form of a human. I wish you a great success in your path.

If anyone is purifying his/her Nafs (Tazkiah - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tazkiah), that means he/she is working to purify his/her Nafs stage by stage. You had heard the term Nafs first time in your life from my posts in this forum. Yet, you only heard of it. You are not in a situation to understand the "tazkiyah al-nafs" in this life time. May be next life time.

Polite discourse? With Nungali? Are you kidding?

Do you disagree with these things then?

Tree of Bad Manners

1. al-ghadabanger: considered the worst of all the negative traits. It may easily be said that anger is the source from which the others flow. The Prophet states in a hadith: "Anger (ghadab) blemishes one's belief." Controlling anger is called kāzm.
  2. al-hiqdmalice or having ill-will toward others; grows from lusting for what someone else has. You must replace hiqd with kindness and look upon your brother with love. There is a tradition that says "give gifts to one another, for gifts take away malice."

edit: quoted from that wiki. I have no knowledge of this topic

Edited by xor

Try the movement yourself with a jo … it seems to lend itself to the movement.

There is a good example of one application in 20 Shuburi @ Shuburi 13 ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R9XqrT8UMA

No 13 @ 4:21 .

Application (one of) ; strike at opponent, he moves back to let strike past, then moves in to take the swung arm on the outside, but you step back as you strike ( reverse one hand grip backhand) increasing the distance so the opponent can not enter close enough and you strike him or his arms/hands.

Can also be adapted for bokkan , the first swing is to meet and deflect opponents sword second move is counter strike (reverse the footwork for bokkan) …. It also has value as unexpected and unorthodox move,

[ This is not taught in aikido nor the sword school I was in ... I see it as one benefit of 'cross-training' . But I defeated opponents in both schools with this move ... too 'in the box' ;) ... also this not kendo ... no armour ... one must be able to stop a hair away from the opponent, - show ma'ai skill and respect for partner. ]

A typical exhibition of Nafs. A true Samurai never speaks like this as he understands the true meaning of Budo.

Do you disagree with these things then?

Tree of Bad Manners
  1. al-ghadabanger: considered the worst of all the negative traits. It may easily be said that anger is the source from which the others flow. The Prophet states in a hadith: "Anger (ghadab) blemishes one's belief." Controlling anger is called kāzm.
  2. al-hiqdmalice or having ill-will toward others; grows from lusting for what someone else has. You must replace hiqd with kindness and look upon your brother with love. There is a tradition that says "give gifts to one another, for gifts take away malice."

Oh I see that you are reading "Bad Manners". Very nice. Read carefully. You will find your biography there.

Sorry, I thought the post belonged to Nungali.

xor,

You have to understand that you can not be nice to your enemy. When you cut down your enemy, you should not have anger in your heart. If you have anger, then, you attract your Nafs upon you. Please pay attention to difference. In one case, you cut down your opponent and you stay calm, in the other case, after cutting down your enemy, you still shake with anger. Please differentiate the two cases. The difference is also the definition of famous wei-wu-wei, the action that does not produce karma.

Edited by Isimsiz Biri

If Nafs is developed just as in your case, you enter a way to be a monster in the form of a human. I wish you a great success in your path.

If anyone is purifying his/her Nafs (Tazkiah - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tazkiah), that means he/she is working to purify his/her Nafs stage by stage. You had heard the term Nafs first time in your life from my posts in this forum. Yet, you only heard of it. You are not in a situation to understand the "tazkiyah al-nafs" in this life time. May be next life time.

Thanks you <bows>

Sign in to follow this