Sign in to follow this  
yabyum24

Nei Gung - Any Good (Practical) Books?

I'm interested in exploring Nei Gung but there are no groups near me so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good book. I'm not looking for an academic thesis in theory, rather a guide with instructions and useful information. Hopefully from someone who knows their stuff experientially.

I already meditate and have reached a deep level of internal stillness but I'd like to combine this with energy work and Nei Gung seems to offer this possibility.

The movement side is covered with my Tai Chi, so it's more the mind directing chi 'thing' I'm looking for.

I'm interested in exploring Nei Gung but there are no groups near me so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good book. I'm not looking for an academic thesis in theory, rather a guide with instructions and useful information. Hopefully from someone who knows their stuff experientially.

I already meditate and have reached a deep level of internal stillness but I'd like to combine this with energy work and Nei Gung seems to offer this possibility.

The movement side is covered with my Tai Chi, so it's more the mind directing chi 'thing' I'm looking for.

1. Nei Gong can not be learnt from a book.

2. There are secret masters for sure but I do not recommend any one publicly known. All of them has certain health risks.

3. For your spiritual development, Nei Gong is not very useful. Different qigongs to stay healthy is enough.

• Like 1

"All of them has certain health risks."

That is one thing I wish to avoid. Internal problems, I have heard, are the worst as they can't be cured by regular medicine.

That is one thing I wish to avoid. Internal problems, I have heard, are the worst as they can't be cured by regular medicine.

Exactly. You made a golden shot. Of course, there will be many others in this forum to tell that just the opposite. They can tell that such system is very good, it worked with them etc. Trust me, I know many friends who got serious health problems after practicing Neigong.

That is why all the Traditional Schools emphasize the importance of an alive Master, who would be able to shed light on all the nuances of theory and philosophy, and how they both are conceived in a certain School.

• Like 1

Jerry Alan Johnson has an awesome Neigong book :).

However.... Like mentioned above, an in person teacher is so very important.

Sure some do the practices without one, but I'll use my jewelry making experience as an analogy. I have learned more in 16 hours of classroom time than I had in 5 years of doing it on my own via books and vids. Now imagine private teaching!!

Having corrections given by someone who's been at it a few decades is also very important.

• Like 2

You can not learn Nei Gong for a book, find a teacher.

All Nei Gong, does it matter which tradition, generate spiritual manifestation. This have to be monitor for a train teacher. If we do not have a teacher we can hurt ourselves.

1/3 of my clinical practice is to help people who bought a book on spiritual or energy or someone recommended a book to them and hurt themselves.
I hope this helps.
  • Like 2

You can not learn Nei Gong for a book, find a teacher.

Then, I may be an exception.

May I add that I already had over 20 years of martial arts experience before my foray into neigong, so this obviously helped as a foundation. I agree that a total beginner would need a teacher.

I would recommend you understand Qigong first as that can last you a lifetime of positive benefits. You could chase Neigong your whole life and not ever really get it... but if you really sink into Qigong and 'get it' then you have laid the foundation for the possibility of seeing if your destiny is to pursue Neigong or not. If yes, then a teacher will be there for it.

I would recommend a start with Yang's The Root of Qigong:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Root-Chinese-Qigong-Enlightenment/dp/1886969507

• Like 1

http://www.amazon.com/Xing-Nei-Gong-Maintenance-Development/dp/0865681740

I don't care what anyone says, this is neigong (inner work).

Again the same problem arises.

If Mo Pai or Longmen Pai is neigong, than the contents of this book is NOT neigong.

If the contents of this book is neigong, then Mo Pai and Longmen Pai are not Neigong.

Choose whatever you like. I do not care.

By the way, the contents of this book can be very helpful too. I have no objection there. Just the terminology.

1. I agree.

2. There are open masters as well. I recommend one publicly known, from whom I have learned. Without any ill health risks.

3. I heartily disagree.

@yabyum, if you are willing to travel, you can find good neigong teachings. Best to you --

Just for number three, please reconsider your decision referring to Liao Sigung killing the entire village at level 30.

Thank you for your comments any way.

I think I'll just start by looking at some basic Qigong. I've found a lot of free information on line (and vids) concerning the Eight Stands of the Brocade. That doesn't look dangerous and some of those moves are very similar to ones we do in my Tai Chi class in any case.

I just have to be careful with low stances, due to a weak knee but it's something I'm aware of.

My school teaches something called K'ai Men (a kind of Lee Style Qigong it seems) so I'll ask the teacher about that tonight.

• Like 1

Forget books. Practicing on your own can be really dangerous. Go with Lam Kam Chuen if you want to with the books and be completely safe.

I would suggest you find some good teacher of Wudang Pai or Longmen Pai ;)

PS: as I heard it from one monk Wang Liping books are the closest to the authentic teachings of neidan out of all commercial books. But still the risks of not having someone to guide you and to interpret the theory are high.

Edited by Shagrath
  • Like 3

Again the same problem arises.

If Mo Pai or Longmen Pai is neigong, than the contents of this book is NOT neigong.

If the contents of this book is neigong, then Mo Pai and Longmen Pai are not Neigong.

Choose whatever you like. I do not care.

By the way, the contents of this book can be very helpful too. I have no objection there. Just the terminology.

I not sure how you devised this theory !

As I've stated before, neigong encompasses a wide variety of practices. Not just sitting in full lotus meditating.

BK Frantzis uses the term neigung in his system. Are you suggesting that his system is not neigong also ?

Once again there is confusion between neidan (inner alchemy) and neigong (inner work).

Forget books. Practicing on your own can be really dangerous. Go with Lam Kam Chuen if you want to with the books and be completely safe.

I would suggest you find some good teacher of Wudang Pai or Longmen Pai ;)

PS: as I heard it from one monk Wang Liping books are the closest to the authentic teachings of neidan out of all commercial books. But still the risks of not having someone to guide you and to interpret the theory are high.

I'm beginning to get tired of repeating myself ! :D

My school teaches something called K'ai Men (a kind of Lee Style Qigong it seems) so I'll ask the teacher about that tonight.

Go for it ! A solid school with excellent teachers and students throughout the UK. Tony Swanson is awesome. One of the best martial artists in the UK, IMHO.

If you're practicing this, then there's really no need for extra books or teachings. Lee Family style will be all you'll ever need.

Best wishes

• Like 1

Go for it ! A solid school with excellent teachers and students throughout the UK. Tony Swanson is awesome. One of the best martial artists in the UK, IMHO.

If you're practicing this, then there's really no need for extra books or teachings. Lee Family style will be all you'll ever need.

Best wishes

Thanks for that mate!

I think I'll just start by looking at some basic Qigong. I've found a lot of free information on line (and vids) concerning the Eight Stands of the Brocade. That doesn't look dangerous and some of those moves are very similar to ones we do in my Tai Chi class in any case.

I just have to be careful with low stances, due to a weak knee but it's something I'm aware of.

You have a teacher :). Definitely talk with him/her about such things and ask for their recommendations. At the very least any book recommended would mesh well with what you are already practicing. There is also a chance that you are already being taught niegong stuff (sometimes teachers will just throw a few bits in, but not specify it is neigong), or could be by your same teacher. Or perhaps they know someone local who does...

• Like 3

1. I agree.

2. There are open masters as well. I recommend one publicly known, from whom I have learned. Without any ill health risks.

3. I heartily disagree.

@yabyum, if you are willing to travel, you can find good neigong teachings. Best to you --

I think this post is worth repeating...

Edited by Brian
  • Like 1

I'm beginning to get tired of repeating myself ! :D

That means that you need to practice more to have more qi so you don't get tired :D :D :D

Joking aside. Wudang Pai and Longmen Pai are neigong. But only as a complete systems. Many teachers teach just one aspect of them so students and readers get different impressions of those systems. In both systems you must work heavily on your Jing. That is one hell of a work. It's physically demanding and quite exhausting. And after you buildt solid foundation you move on to yangqi, shen, yuenqi, etc.

Edited by Shagrath

I already meditate and have reached a deep level of internal stillness

Yabyum24,

Yes, getting in person instruction is invaluable for absorbing the flavor of the practice. If traveling to get in person instruction is not a possibility at this time, I'd suggest tapes and videos as being a step-up from books. Not the same transmission as in person instruction for sure, but watching and listening gives you more than just a printed page.

Also, consider the value of what you're already doing. There's this tendency to mystify alchemical practice, to think it's something apart from who we already are--when the truth is that this practice is really just being in touch with yourself on a very deep level. Are you centered deep within yourself? Are you stabilized at a deep level of inner stillness? Good! This is where nei gung happens. Yes, you can get instruction that goes into complex formulas. But nothing is more important than your ability to go into that silient, still place deep within. You may be farther along than you think.

Liminal

• Like 1

p.s. I don't know about these Liao killings. Can you provide more info, or a link?

One of his relatives had studied with Pai Lok Nen. This man returned to

Lee Hwa Kang at some point, and it was evident that he had devel-

oped great abilities. Because Liao Sifu was a dedicated and sincere

martial artist, and (let’s face it) because of the war, the relative wrote

a letter of recommendation for Liao Sifu to also go and study with

Pai Lok Nen. So Liao Sifu made the journey and eventually, because

of the letter, was accepted as Pai Lok Nen’s student. He stayed with

Pai Sifu for five years, at which point he returned to his home vil-

lage. At the time he was almost forty years old and had achieved

Level Twenty-Six.”

John settled back in his chair and assumed a more comfortable

position. “Now,” he continued, “bear in mind that these were differ-

ent times. News did not travel very fast, if at all, and most of rural

China lived in third-world conditions. When Liao Sifu returned to

his home, he found that his clan had been decimated. There was only

one man left alive, and he was crippled, unable to walk. The neigh-

bors kept him alive with their charity. Liao Sifu went crazy with grief;

he had lost all his loved ones.

Liao Sifu wanted to rush over and attack the neighboring

village. But his clansman wouldn’t let him.

“‘You are the last one of us left alive,’ he said. ‘They have killed us

all. Even though you are Level Twenty-Six, there are many warriors

in Pu Chia Siang, and you are only one man. Perhaps they will kill

you instead, and then the Liao clan will be lost.’

The clansman was his senior, and given the Confucian ethic of

his day, Liao Sifu had to obey him.

The man sent him back to Pai Lok Nen with the promise that he would

study for a further five years. Liao Sifu did this, swallowing his rage

and pain and puttingthem aside. He thought of revenge all the time, though;

he couldnot let it go. When he returned to his village, five years later, he was

more than Level Thirty. That is a very special turning point for people

like us, you know. It’s a sort of graduation.”

I wanted to press him for details but John became suddenly quiet,

staring off into space. At length he spoke.

“When Liao Sifu returned to his home, he found the body of his

clansman, pierced by a spear. They had not even had the decency to

bury the man; the corpse was rotting where it lay. Then Liao Sifu

went mad. It was as if the floodgates of the dam had opened; the pain

he had suppressed all those years could no longer be contained and

came rushing out. It was as if his surviving relative were the last bridge

to reason; with him gone Liao Sifu went crazy. He gave in to his anger

and his hatred and went to Pu Chia Siang to take bloody revenge.

“For one hour he killed anything that moved, and they were

helpless against him. It was as if the Angel of Death had attacked

their village and the warriors of Pu Chia Siang could do nothing to

stop him. Men, women, children, and animals he killed, even the

chickens! So great was his anger, Kosta, that he wanted the village

to be wiped off the face of the earth, with not one life remaining in

it to poison the land. Spears and swords bounced off him like paper;

he could not be hurt, and yet he killed from more than ten yards

away with blasts of neikung energy. Nothing escaped him. When

they ran, he caught them; when they hid, he found them.

The magus of Java p61

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

Sign in to follow this