Sign in to follow this  
Griffith

Dantien Sensitivity

Hi, i was looking for help for a problem of mine: i've just started practising the basics of qi gong, diaphramatic breathing in the specifics, but i have a problem with focusing on the lower dan-tien, basically due to weight loss issues i did a tummy tuck(abdominoplasty) in my stomach and i lost sensitivity in that part of my body, so i have problems feeling the dantien. Is there a way for me to feel it and concentrate into, maybe inside the body? thanks for the help :)

.................. i've just started practising the basics of qi gong, diaphramatic breathing in the specifics, but i have a problem with focusing on the lower dan-tien, basically due to weight loss issues i did a tummy tuck(abdominoplasty) in my stomach and i lost sensitivity in that part of my body, so i have problems feeling the dantien. Is there a way for me to feel it and concentrate into, maybe inside the body? thanks for the help :)

First of all, how is your breathing to begin with, like how deep can you breathe constantly without getting light-headed....??? As a beginner, one may not be able to do diaphragmatic breathing right away. It takes time to practice before one can reach to that stage.

Edited by ChiDragon

First of all, how is your breathing to begin with, like how deep can you breathe constantly without getting light-headed....??? As a beginner, one may not be able to do diaphragmatic breathing right away. It takes time to practice before one can reach to that stage.

Right now i can breath max to a count to 10 for breath.

Edited by Griffith

"How deep" means when you breathe, does your breath pass your chest deep down to the abdominal. If not, how far down do you think your breath went....???

"How deep" means when you breathe, does your breath pass your chest deep down to the abdominal. If not, how far down do you think your breath went....???

It depends on how relaxed i am, sometimes when i breathe i feel some kind of "hardness" in my body and i feel like the breathe is not going very deep, other times when i'm more relaxed i can feel it even in the stomach. I've heard that by focusing on the dantien i could reach the stomach more easily, that's why i asked my opening question.

Yes, that was why "First of all, how is your breathing to begin with, like how deep can you breathe constantly without getting light-headed....???"

"Constantly" is the key word, here, which means your can breathe deep to the abdomen all the time. As a beginner, you are not expected to be able to do it all the time. Anyway, focusing on the dantien still may not help you to reach the stomach more easily. You must be able to breathe down deep by practicing in your breathing but not by forcing yourself.

You must do it step by step by breathing in and out at a certain point every time. The purpose is to establish a baseline and focus your breathing on that point, so you can go deeper and deeper by passing that point progressively. Eventually, your breath will reach deep down to the abdomen. At the point in time, you can perform the abdominal breathing every time and fully focused.

Hi, i was looking for help for a problem of mine: i've just started practising the basics of qi gong, diaphramatic breathing in the specifics, but i have a problem with focusing on the lower dan-tien, basically due to weight loss issues i did a tummy tuck(abdominoplasty) in my stomach and i lost sensitivity in that part of my body, so i have problems feeling the dantien. Is there a way for me to feel it and concentrate into, maybe inside the body? thanks for the help :)

Ever notice that if you have a sore spot on your body, you can focus on it?

You can press a finger (or something with more of a point) around your dantian area and then try to focus on the finger to get your mind to stay down there. In fact, I prefer to get the mind to the bottom part of the dantian, near the perineum but you need to poke underneath to do that.

Another thing you can try is to follow the breath (more like stay at the front as if leading it) and see it going in and all the way down like an escalator. You want to make sure your not 'thinking' this is lung breathing but bringing the breath all the way down past the chest into the stomach.

When it passes the chest area, you can think that some of your heart energy goes along for the ride. Don't stop there, but allow that energy to become a part of what is going downward. If you can pick up some heart energy, then it may help in sensing the energy going down.

Steps:

1. Make sure your mind is clear and the body is relaxed. Do a few deep inhales and then hard/fast/strong exhales through the mouth with a wind sound (like deeply exasperated) to help clear yourself.

2. Softly place your tongue upwards to the front upper palate just behind the teeth. (If you can get in the habit of doing this 24/7, then do so... it will generate saliva... just swallow it).;

3. Breath a few times naturally to relax.

4. As you breath, expand your stomach naturally with the inhale. The breath, stomach movement, and mind work together.

5. On exhale, let the stomach collapse inward.

• Like 1

I'm curious how often you think about your stomach throughout the day, and if they're good thoughts or angry thoughts. Are you ashamed to have a stomach? This a huge problem for many, many of us in the 'West'. And a terrible blockage for us when we try to accomplish things in Qigong practice.

Something you can try is to come at it from the other direction. Get to know the Huiyin (Perineum) and pull it gently upwards while inhaling and let it sink, but not 100%, while exhaling. This might direct your breath to the lower belly more easily for you. It's a good enhancement to breath work either way.

The DT's are energetic centers and I don't think your surgery is really that big a blockage. Maybe your thoughts and convictions about the surgery are the problem?

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 1

:)

Get to know the Huiyin (Perineum) and pull it gently upwards while inhaling and let it sink, but not 100%, while exhaling. This might direct your breath to the lower belly more easily for you. It's a good enhancement to breath work either way.

6. Get to know the proper movement of the HuiYin; Expand/collapse with stomach in normal breathing.

The DT's are energetic centers and I don't think your surgery is really that big a blockage. Maybe your thoughts and convictions about the surgery are the problem?

This brings up a curious issue which maybe those with years of clinicals or medical background could comment on...

I recall being told that 'cuts' across the mid-section are terribly bad for the normal flow of energy; ergo, for ladies the 'bikini cut' is really not preferred over a vertical cut.

Sign in to follow this