Lataif

Sufism and QiQong . . .

Hello.

I find that different spiritual traditions . . . don't seem to map the same territory.

And my suspicion is that no higher map of maps . . . is actually possible. Although Id love to be proven wrong.

My primary practice in the past has been Sufism. It's strong (nearly 100%) in its understanding of the emotions . . . but weak in its understanding of the physical body.

So I've begun studying Qigong. It, in turn, is strong in its understanding of the physical body . . . but weak in its understanding of emotions.

Bottom line: I'd be interested to hear if anyone has come to any understanding of how the Lataif, specifically, pattern the physical body. I just don't see it clearly at all.

If QiGong had a more well-articulated understanding of emotions . . . we could get from the Lataif to the emotions (via Sufism) . . . and then from the emotions to the physical body (via QiGong).

But so far I haven't see anything like that . . .

Thanks.

Hello and welcome Lataif. I am sure you will generate much debate on this subject but you are probably best posting it again in the Taoist Discussion section. The Lobby is for introductions and your question will go unseen by many members.

Before you do that however please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of the Lobby and also take a look at the forum terms and rules http://thetaobums.com/topic/19575-forum-terms-rules/ This will cover all that you need to be aware of as we are a pretty easy going bunch here.

Best wishes,

Chang

Hello.

I find that different spiritual traditions . . . don't seem to map the same territory.

And my suspicion is that no higher map of maps . . . is actually possible. Although Id love to be proven wrong.

My primary practice in the past has been Sufism. It's strong (nearly 100%) in its understanding of the emotions . . . but weak in its understanding of the physical body.

So I've begun studying Qigong. It, in turn, is strong in its understanding of the physical body . . . but weak in its understanding of emotions.

Bottom line: I'd be interested to hear if anyone has come to any understanding of how the Lataif, specifically, pattern the physical body. I just don't see it clearly at all.

If QiGong had a more well-articulated understanding of emotions . . . we could get from the Lataif to the emotions (via Sufism) . . . and then from the emotions to the physical body (via QiGong).

But so far I haven't see anything like that . . .

Thanks.

I practice a particular style QiGong and it is always emphasized to remain emotionally calm....the only exception for this I think would be when practicing devotional work and you are intentionally enflaming yourself with prayer for a certain purpose.

I would also add that emotions are quite "heavy" and can be very entangling....and as one refines there energy a sense of calmness and serenity is natural and too many strong emotions can be quite draining. Furthermore, from an inter-alchemical perspective in Taoism the goal is to refine ones energies from Jing to Chi to Shen and then void.

Chi refers to emotions and intellect. The desire is to in many move past them to spirit. But let me end this tangent. Perhaps you should make a post about It on the forum.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi

Hello. I feel you need to studying the philosophy and practice of the 5 elements. These are totally intertwined with emotions (as well as the physical and spiritual). Xxxxx

• Like 1

Some qi gongs, especially medical qigongs, work directly with the 5 elements, 5 yin and yang organs, and these all have applications to the emotions. This is integral to Chinese medicine as well. For example, weak liver causes anger, weak spleen causes worry, strong liver gives ambition, stong spleen gives earthy calm.

Here is a good website: http://www.fivespirits.com/shen.php

Some qi gongs, especially medical qigongs, work directly with the 5 elements, 5 yin and yang organs, and these all have applications to the emotions . . . For example, weak liver causes anger, weak spleen causes worry, strong liver gives ambition, strong spleen gives earthy calm.

That sounds good . . . until you actually try to apply it specifically to the variety and subtlety of our emotions.

For example: which element (and organ . . .) would be involved in the response to (and appreciation of . . .) the "Liebstod" from Wagner's "Tristan and Isolde" (?)

And how is that response/appreciation similar to that evoked by the Everly Brothers' "Let It Be Me" . . . but subtly different from that of Dylan's "I Want You" (?)

Sufism has specific answers to these kinds of questions. I haven't yet seen anything similar from Qigong . . .