Kempomaster

Can the Practice of Stillness-Movement add to your Martial arts ability?

I have been practicing Stillness-Movement for several years now, prior to that time I have been a dedicated martial arts student and currently hold the title of Grandmaster of Ryukyu Kempo.

I have found that my involvement in Stillness-Movement Neigong possibly gave me as much as a 1000 fold increase in internal power to my martial ability.

Those that get involved in S-M should know that first and foremost it is a healing qigong system that was used in the hospitals of China. The system came to the U.S through Michael Lomax and he was authorized to bring the system to the U.S. by Master Wang Juemin of Baoding, China. However, several of Master Wang's teachers were very accomplished martial artists including Master Hu Yao Zhen.

I have found that my martial ability has soared off the chart since studying with Michael - as a result of building internal qi...to the point that I need to be careful, but I have always had good control.

I will attempt to report on various aspects of this phenomenon.

thank you,

Brion

Kempomaster

• Like 10

My credentials: First - I have been a Martial Artist for over 35 years - current rank qualifies me as a Grandmaster - names on my certificate include :Professor Wally Jay, Professor Remy Presas, Professor George Dillman, Grandmaster Will Higginbotham, and Grandmaster David Gonzalez - who had his certificate from Master Ed Parker. My primary martial art has been Okinawan Kempo - which came to us through Hohan Soken and Master Seiyu Oyata two very well respected individuals in their art as well as each of the individuals named in the lineage that I mentioned has earned incredible respect for their contributions to the world of martial arts - especially Professor Wally Jay i.e. Small Circle Jujitsu.

For those not familiar with Okinawan Kempo - the format for teaching as in most styles of martial arts utilizes Kata. These kata have various movements that I consider to be semi-abstract as over 99% of martial artist don't understand the true meaning of these movements - most teach the proper angle and direction to attack an opponent or point at acu-points to utilize in the attack. The kata's can be very complex containing over 100 move's and some tai chi kata's can contain 300 or more moves. I have learned to use these moves to at the very least knock an opponent out within seconds of them attacking me. This is just one level of using this as there are several levels.

My biggest accomplishment: Several years ago I met and began training in qigong with Michael Lomax!

Immediately one of the past masters of the martial arts lineage visited me and taught me how to break-down and better understand a complex movement from one of the most complicated kata's and at the time I didn't understand why this was happening.

The more time I spent with Michael - the better I began to understand the power of Stillness-Movement. First and foremost, S-M is a healing based Qigong/neigong. It is an extremely powerful qigong. From the very first workshop I have been able to do healings on all sorts of individuals. However, I was previously employed as a Pharmaceutical Salesperson and my opportunities to try medical qigong techniques came in medical doctors offices. So, I got to work on doctors, nurses, medical assistants, etc. and the techniques from the Stillness-Movement lineage worked almost 100% of the time. This wasn't on 1 or 2 people as I had kept a notebook and had well over 125 cases all with 100% success when I decided it was too cumbersome and just did healing and now have well over 1000 cases with still close to 100% success rate. These are all sorts of different cases - pain etc - you can look up my case reports under a different thread.

Now, did this neigong have any effect on my martial arts ability? I would say that my daily time and effort with S-M helped to improve my martial arts ability 1000 fold! Let me explain. I am not a big person - 5'9" 170 lbs and I was confronted by a large person that was looking to fight - he was 6' 3" and probably 240 lbs and he was marching my way on the golf course - in S-M we do shielding - so I put up a shield, then set my intent on what was going to happen - it wasn't going to be pretty, but, as soon as I did -- the big fella stopped in his tracks and backed off and apologized as a result of feeling my qi. The other areas I have noticed is in simple jujitsu techniques - I can barely touch others or put forth and effort - simply use my qi - and it drops them to their knees - including my instructor - yet when they try to use the technique on me -- it doesn't work -- including the instructor - and he is excellent at these techniques. I have encountered others that are accomplished in Bagua and Brazil Jujitsu and they were quite surprised at the ease that I can grab them and toss them around, again this is because I have achieved an enormous internal qi buildup.

What a person needs to be -- is very cautious. You need to have extra control once you have this type of internal qi ability because if you don't have control -- you will end up hurting someone.

So -- is Stillness-Movement an effective Neigong system. YES! I haven't found a more effective system. I was able to feel qi from the beginning. I took the movement portion and did a demo - Gift of the Tao to a large martial arts seminar in which they had been practicing a different form of qigong( - well known to martial arts )- and they had been trying this other system for 2 - 3 years. Within 10 minutes of my demonstration many of 50+ in attendance could actually feel the qi for the first time and were excited about doing qigong. Some were swaying - some were shaking - some were sweating - some had big smiles on their faces, all were excited about their discovery.

So, I can assure you that S-M and Gift of the Tao, and Michal Lomax are the real deal! If you don't want to go to his seminar's that's ok - but don't throw rocks if you haven't attended and you don't know what you are talking about!

I would encourage anyone to find out for themselves - attend a seminar - yes the lineage is meant to be a healing lineage. It is extremely powerful. If you put in the time and effort -- you will be amazed at what you get in return. The discoveries you get -- well you will find them for yourself -- your teacher won't have to tell you about them.

thanks,

Brion

aka kempomaster

• Like 11

I have to agree. I've had great results from just following the instructions in the book. I obviously only know the sitting meditation and the all important closing (not sure if I do it right), but the results extend out in all areas of my life.

It's strange because the technique is very very similar to what my very first CMA teacher taught me. I was young and dumb at the time though and really didn't invest the time and energy needed to get results. Resting ones awareness on the dantien is a no-brainer in my opinion. It almost guarantees results it we apply ourselves to it. The posture and closing sequence add more fuel to the fire.

I wanted to attend one of the remote seminars, but I didn't have the GOT and that was one of the requirements. I am honestly resistant to learning GOT because I feel it will mess with my martial training. I get absolutely phenomenal result from my Tai Chi and Bagua these days, I think in part due to the stillness-movement and the flying phoenix that I do.

The GOT movements, to me, appear to be completely wrong when viewed from a martial body mechanics, conservation of energy, rooting, perspective so I'm not sure I will ever do them. The postures in a few of the Tai Chi sets absolutely promote high level energy training and circulation. If one feels there is something missing, I think they just need to find a good teacher. Millimeters are Kilometers in Tai Chi, the small details are important, especially as we train each and every day year after year, decade after decade. Sady, most of what is taught and passed off as Tai Chi, is empty movement, mere dance. This is the only disagreement I have with Michaels take on stillness movement. I'm sure the GOT is powerful, but it cannot possibly be the only path up the mountain.

The most striking effect I have experienced with the SM is the increase in calm, rooted awareness. Once again this helps all areas of ones life but can absolutely be applied to martial studies. Once the mind is silent, and the energy is gathered in the DanTien, all sorts of things become possible.

• Like 1

I have to agree. I've had great results from just following the instructions in the book. I obviously only know the sitting meditation and the all important closing (not sure if I do it right), but the results extend out in all areas of my life.

It's strange because the technique is very very similar to what my very first CMA teacher taught me. I was young and dumb at the time though and really didn't invest the time and energy needed to get results. Resting ones awareness on the dantien is a no-brainer in my opinion. It almost guarantees results it we apply ourselves to it. The posture and closing sequence add more fuel to the fire.

I wanted to attend one of the remote seminars, but I didn't have the GOT and that was one of the requirements. I am honestly resistant to learning GOT because I feel it will mess with my martial training. I get absolutely phenomenal result from my Tai Chi and Bagua these days, I think in part due to the stillness-movement and the flying phoenix that I do.

The GOT movements, to me, appear to be completely wrong when viewed from a martial body mechanics, conservation of energy, rooting, perspective so I'm not sure I will ever do them. The postures in a few of the Tai Chi sets absolutely promote high level energy training and circulation. If one feels there is something missing, I think they just need to find a good teacher. Millimeters are Kilometers in Tai Chi, the small details are important, especially as we train each and every day year after year, decade after decade. Sady, most of what is taught and passed off as Tai Chi, is empty movement, mere dance. This is the only disagreement I have with Michaels take on stillness movement. I'm sure the GOT is powerful, but it cannot possibly be the only path up the mountain.

The most striking effect I have experienced with the SM is the increase in calm, rooted awareness. Once again this helps all areas of ones life but can absolutely be applied to martial studies. Once the mind is silent, and the energy is gathered in the DanTien, all sorts of things become possible.

HiYa!

I agree wholeheartedly that GOT is not the "only way up the mountain". They are just enhancement of the process due to their being energy patterns as seen on higher levels. Creative energy patterns. This is why, to the naked eye, and especially from a person who has martial movement training, they are like "WTF!" as going to the energy in a direct pattern bypasses many of the "laws" of alignment, etc. I realize this. But if you just give them a try you will find that repetition of those patterns is an extremely efficient manner of advancement with the cultivation. And efficiency is a grand thing.

• Like 6

Yeah, I don't doubt that it works quite well. I just don't want to train my body/mind to move in inefficient, unstable ways. As you practice things through the years, they tend to become ingrained. I have my hands full enough trying to overcome all the bad habits I already have! :D

Reminds me of kl-rp accelerating the sh*t out of everything I was doing at the time. Anyone ever been in a car that had nitrous? :D

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't doubt that it works quite well. I just don't want to train my body/mind to move in inefficient, unstable ways. As you practice things through the years, they tend to become ingrained. I have my hands full enough trying to overcome all the bad habits I already have! :D

However, it is not inefficient but an order of magnitude more efficient. It is also not unstable, you just think that from a MA judgement of observation. GOT is not a martial art but an energy art, however if a person does the movements they will quickly find that what initially meets the eye is not the real thing hidden inside. I can absolutely say that anyone who feels Stillness-Movement will more than feel immediately the effects of GOT. Perhaps kempomaster will put this in words more appropriate for the MA practitioner.

But by all means do whatever you want.

Edited by Ya Mu
  • Like 2

Reminds me of kl-rp accelerating the sh*t out of everything I was doing at the time. Anyone ever been in a car that had nitrous? :D

Exactly. Accelerated energetics.

GOT does sound interesting to me.

Help my plate is full - how much time do each of you practice.

Please don't answer as much as you want.

When I practice GOT I usually do about 1hr.

My 2 cents, Peace

You could easily do it for 20 min. a day. (Full or partial form.) But you may be "drawn" to do more. :D

Agreed.

I typically do a minimum of an hour of sitting or standing S-M each day and between 45 & 90 minutes of movement each day. Sometimes more. Sometimes MUCH more! :)

I often will do my GOT in roughly 20 to 40 minute blocks of a full set but I then often supplement with small (minute or two) repetitions of a single move throughout the day, as the spirit moves me. I try to do an uninterrupted block of S-M but then supplement with additional "informal S-M" while in business meetings or waiting rooms or conference calls (for instance) and I generally do either S-M or spiral qigong in bed after turning the light out at night.

I never watch the clock or "count" during my practice, BTW. I did when I started but not any longer.

• Like 2

How often do you practice?

I try to practice daily, but some days are better than others or I will feel I should do more sitting than movement on some days. It all depends, that is how much I usually practice, but as Rv and Brian said you can do less or you can do more depending on how you feel. If you do the motions correctly you can easily get a good charge from 20 minutes....though I usually do more.

My 2 cents, Peace

I usually do 20-30 minutes of s-m in the morning. If I don't, I will sometimes just take a fifteen minute break at work and go do it. I prefer to practice the entire GOT I set at a time, but if I'm pressed for time I'll just do three movements or six or whatever I have time for.

Lately I feel like I can tell when I need to practice. In the beginning it was more a matter of scheduling time and planning a routine but now it's more like, "I feel like doing this . . . " and I just go until it feels done.

I typically do a minimum of an hour of sitting or standing S-M each day and between 45 & 90 minutes of movement each day. Sometimes more. Sometimes MUCH more! :)

I often will do my GOT in roughly 20 to 40 minute blocks of a full set but I then often supplement with small (minute or two) repetitions of a single move throughout the day, as the spirit moves me. I try to do an uninterrupted block of S-M but then supplement with additional "informal S-M" while in business meetings or waiting rooms or conference calls (for instance) and I generally do either S-M or spiral qigong in bed after turning the light out at night.

I never watch the clock or "count" during my practice, BTW. I did when I started but not any longer.

You are an inspiration to us all, Brian! :)

Edited by Green Tiger
  • Like 1

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if you have internalized the martial posture points to where you do them comfortably, it will be fine to do GOT with those points aligned so long as they don't cause you to be stiff/tense which would limit chi flow. A lot of them are very similar to silk reeling moves so I naturally take silk reeling posture while doing them, and incorporate hip movement sometimes as that's become part of how I apply force from those positions, in this case drawing force. Seemed fairly seamless to roll from rolling ball to GOT.

• Like 1

You've heard that time will make itself available and I as this is true. I used to struggle to find a couple opportunities per week and Now I have several per day. Same workload and more family obligations...

The difference? I had a "breakthrough" that provided clarity of purpose and I followed up on it with sincerity.

A recent phenomenological change has occurred, too. Starting before dawn on October 1st (the date is significant only to me and the few who know what happened when I left the last A-Z workshop), I have had a frequent sensation of multi-frequency vibration in both arms, starting just below my elbows and running down through laugong and down both ring fingers. I've talked with Michael about it (and the experience which precipitated it) and I'm good with it.

Not yet ready to share that particular experience openly, though.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 4

To refer to the movements of G.O.T as inefficient is simply a wrong answer as a result of never having tried the movements and then having experienced first hand the energetic efficiency of the moves.

Very often in martial arts we are taught that you have to do things a certain way - move this way, chop that way etc so we are brainwashed into believing that there is only one correct way to move and that is the manner in which we are currently moving.

I learned early on with Gift of the Tao - to just flow with the qi, it(GOT) is extremely efficient, and the qi gets stronger with each move...I can close my eyes an easily find my way through the entire sequence - no rules, just let it tell me when I have done enough of each move and it is time to move on to the next move -- when have you ever done this in martial arts -- usually a defined number of moves, plus martial arts are usually very specific - weight distribution, angle and direction -- this can be used in G.O.T - but you are more free to flow with the qi.

Once you learn to do this -- you can apply this to your martial moves...I am not saying to mix GOT and martial arts moves I am saying you can learn how to gather qi and flow with the qi and use the same feeling in martial moves -- most martial artists are too stiff and try to "man-handle" qi which will never work.

So, the GOT moves will never confuse your martial moves - I believe they will add to them. My having worked Stillness-Movement has added considerably to my martial arts - through better understanding of the true meaning of the moves. Again I stress most martial artist don't understand the true meaning of the movements - for instance - what many would call a simple karate chop - could be considered by some to be useless, others would know it to be used in an armlock, others to knock an opponent out, others for serious injury to an opponent.

Others == well ...let's keep you guessing.

You should give Gift of the Tao a try before you write it off as inefficient.

You would be quite surprised at what it would do for you.

Then there is G.O.T. 2 ....and 3

Thanks,

Brion

Kempomaster

• Like 4

I have a few questions wrt GoT:

1. Does GoT work on specific energies (like Peng, Lu, Ji, An etc) or does it just work on clearing the meridians so Qi can flow better?
  2. Also, does GoT need "initiation" by the Master, in that, the Master will have to "ignite" the internal cooker/oven and then student practices daily to first keep the "fire" burning and eventually increase intensity of the fire?
  3. How does GoT treat Sky and Earth energy? In that is the focus on bringing the Sky energy down through the CP and Earth through the K1 points and then balanced in the Lower Dan Tien?
  4. Is the energetics an internal, meridian oriented one, or is it an external energy-ball/field oriented one? If so, what does one learn first?

I know these are too many questions and probably are stupid and dumb. But I'd greatly appreciate YaMu or one of his other students here answering them.

Best,

Dwai

• Like 1

I was just about to post something along similar lines, Brion. My martial arts days are really two generations behind me and I never approached your skill but I just ran through all three sets with half a thought towards this topic, just to see. Did GoT I, II & III and,,while none of the moves are "martial," I don't any are "anti-martial" either, if you follow me...

I have a few questions wrt GoT:

1. Does GoT work on specific energies (like Peng, Lu, Ji, An etc) or does it just work on clearing the meridians so Qi can flow better?
  2. Also, does GoT need "initiation" by the Master, in that, the Master will have to "ignite" the internal cooker/oven and then student practices daily to first keep the "fire" burning and eventually increase intensity of the fire?
  3. How does GoT treat Sky and Earth energy? In that is the focus on bringing the Sky energy down through the CP and Earth through the K1 points and then balanced in the Lower Dan Tien?
  4. Is the energetics an internal, meridian oriented one, or is it an external energy-ball/field oriented one? If so, what does one learn first?

I know these are too many questions and probably are stupid and dumb. But I'd greatly appreciate YaMu or one of his other students here answering them.

Best,

Dwai

Gift of Tao is very easy. But difficult to look at through a lens based on other systems.

I have spoken of them from the viewpoint that they are energy patterns from Higher Vibratory levels. AS such, when a person does them several different things happen. The energy body vibration rate is raised and an energetic space is created which allows shifting from one awareness to another. So energetics are both internal and external opening up all the gates and energy channels as well as creating a huge energy body which interacts with both Heaven Qi and Earth Qi in a balanced method. And this Yin Qi and Yang Qi CAN most definitely be differentiated. But that is not the goal, just a simple recognizable thing; what happens is that a balance of Heaven and Earth are achieved and fused together; but this is not the goal in itself. The raising of the energy body vibrational frequency to achieve a point of linking with one's higher level self is a starting goal, then learning how to dance in the wu wei through what I call the Listening process, then finding and fulfilling one's Destiny. These movements help achieve that. But it would be remiss to not say that opening the energy gates and channels is not important, as this, combined with the energy body effects and the shifting is the beginning to everything else I describe.

And here we go again; all this is just talk and doesn't even begin to describe the event itself. One can only practice and see for themselves. Which of course is a wonderful thing, as the practice doesn't depend on what any teacher says but on the experience of the method itself. And it is a wonderful experience.

• Like 4

Resting ones awareness on the dantien is a no-brainer in my opinion. It almost guarantees results it we apply ourselves to it. The posture and closing sequence add more fuel to the fire.

The GOT movements, to me, appear to be completely wrong when viewed from a martial body mechanics, conservation of energy, rooting, perspective so I'm not sure I will ever do them. The postures in a few of the Tai Chi sets absolutely promote high level energy training and circulation. If one feels there is something missing, I think they just need to find a good teacher. Millimeters are Kilometers in Tai Chi, the small details are important, especially as we train each and every day year after year, decade after decade. Sady, most of what is taught and passed off as Tai Chi, is empty movement, mere dance.

I think you trust your eyes too much. "Don't think, feel." Just watching the movements, it might appear inefficient, but you have to be aware that you are not looking at a qi gong ballet. You are watching someone connect with a very sophisticated vibratory energy. Sometimes they may not move in a way that appears to follow 'proper' body mechanics, but that may be misleading. They are flowing with the energy as they feel it. Unless you can feel into their body or see the energy moving through it, you probably won't be able to discern how efficient the movement really is.

As Kempomaster said:

To refer to the movements of G.O.T as inefficient is simply a wrong answer as a result of never having tried the movements and then having experienced first hand the energetic efficiency of the moves.

Very often in martial arts we are taught that you have to do things a certain way - move this way, chop that way etc so we are brainwashed into believing that there is only one correct way to move and that is the manner in which we are currently moving.

I learned early on with Gift of the Tao - to just flow with the qi, it(GOT) is extremely efficient, and the qi gets stronger with each move...I can close my eyes an easily find my way through the entire sequence - no rules, just let it tell me when I have done enough of each move and it is time to move on to the next move -- when have you ever done this in martial arts -- usually a defined number of moves, plus martial arts are usually very specific - weight distribution, angle and direction -- this can be used in G.O.T - but you are more free to flow with the qi.

I just thought I would mention that, if you are looking for them, you can find Peng, Lu, Ji, and An in the GOT sets. I can feel Peng in the first movement and Ji in the second. Also the 'push, push, pull' movement is an obvious example of An and Lu.

• Like 2

I would say that my daily time and effort with S-M helped to improve my martial arts ability 1000 fold! Let me explain. I am not a big person - 5'9" 170 lbs and I was confronted by a large person that was looking to fight - he was 6' 3" and probably 240 lbs and he was marching my way on the golf course - in S-M we do shielding - so I put up a shield, then set my intent on what was going to happen - it wasn't going to be pretty, but, as soon as I did -- the big fella stopped in his tracks and backed off and apologized as a result of feeling my qi.

Now that's powerful martial ability! Who needs a no-touch knockout when you can get no-touch pacification? ;)

Edited by Green Tiger
  • Like 2

dwai,

GoT by itself is extremely powerful. The complete system includes more than the set of movements, of course, but...

I have a friend at work who has been practicing kenpo for a couple years and with whom I've had several conversations about the martial arts, Taoism, qigong, etc. He has been politely reserved about "healing stuff" (queue the theremin music) but has been curious about my calmness and about the "tai chi" he has seen me doing (sometimes at lunch or when taking a break). (I sometimes let people continue with the assumption that I'm doing tai chi or practicing reiki but often take the time to give them more information.)

Anyhow, a few weeks ago, I get an e-mail from him, apologizing for not getting something back to me on time and telling me that he'd been in the ER all night the night before.

Naturally, I asked him to share more if he wanted to, and he proceeded to tell me about a terrifying experience. After several hours, they decided he had NOT had a stroke (he's in his early thirties) or aneurysm and that the doctors determined his episode was stress-related (he has recently been under significant pressure at work).

The next day, he asked me to tell him more about "that qigong stuff."

With a GoT I DVD on the way, I taught him the first two moves and the closing that day and taught him the third move the following day. I stressed the importance of doing them slowly and encouraged him to do at least one 20-minute session each day.

After the first day, he told me he felt "normal" again for the first time since the episode that sent him to the ER. On the third day, he called me and said he wasn't sure whether he should be concerned or not but he was starting to feel warmth and tingling in his hands and fingers when he was practicing. :) I told him not to worry as this was a good sign but not to get caught up in this or any other sensations he might experience.

Mind you, this was only three days and he had only learned three moves (plus the closing). He has since received his GoT I DVD and is practicing daily. Texted me last night to say, "Really enjoying the qigong." He is still practicing his kenpo as well.

I'm hoping to get him to a future workshop and to get him to start S-M aspects of the system but the GoT movements are energetically quite powerful in their own right.

• Like 7

I like YaMu's description and supporting attestations from the others. I would love to attend a workshop if one is being held in the Chicago area.