BaguaKicksAss

Dreams, ambitons, goals?

This may have been covered before, I am not sure. But I'm curious what a forum full of cultivators has for dreams? By this I mean, the ultimate life and situation each of us wish to live in while we are here. I call it dreams, meaning not to limit to things we only think that are possible.

I find that we tend to limit ourselves quite often, and not even talk about our dreams, because we think they are not possible, or that we don't deserve them, or etc.

I have seen and found that nearly everything is possible given enough time. However with many things, a compromise is often needed. For example, many people say to become a millionaire. However unless you have a rich family, this sort of thing is going to require many overtime hours at work, perhaps many years of higher education, and perhaps also a LOT of schmoozing and socializing with the sort of crowd who makes this sort of money, to have good contacts, to get a foot in the door for the very well paying jobs. Most things we really want take work from all I have seen, so it depends a lot on where we put our efforts and thoughts.

So without limiting things to what you believe are limitations, what would you say your dreams for this lifetime are?

I will share an interesting story about how more is possible than we ever think.

When I was much younger, some friends of mine and I were talking and joking about what we really want, what would be our dream. So a few of us talked about living on our very own island. We all laughed. One person talked about how you could buy islands in international waters and not be attached to any particular country. Who knows if this is true or not, or still true. We were all far from having that sort of money though lol.

Well anyways, I have noticed that nearby here there are islands for sale, about large enough for a house or 2 on them, which you can buy for half a million. That is half what this house is worth lol. However I do not have that sort of cash, nor do I own this house (I rent, with a roomate). Nor do I realistically see a bank loaning me that sort of money in my forseeable future...

However... if I so choose, I do have an opportunity in the next 5 years (or perhaps less) to live on an entire 5km island all to myself (and hey maybe a couple of my friends), in trade for island sitting... as long as I want. I know the person who is presently doing this, and he will be retiring soon. Who would have thought? I wouldn't get to own it, but still!

Well 20 years ago I would not have thought this was possible, and would have laughed... however... It is just one example. I have also laughed at other things which came to be a decade or 2 later.

• Like 2

I'm glad you put this in the General Discussions subforum as I don't post in PP threads.

Yes, I had my dreams, ambitions and goals. I screwed nearly all of them up. But one of them was to live my own life. At this I have been successful.

Anymore my only real goal is to live one more day, one day at a time, as I do most evenings plan what I am going to do tomorrow.

• Like 2

Hmmm, I didn't go into what we think we want to do/be (as told to us by others and society and etc.) compared with what we truly within our heart desire... But yeah that too :).

• Like 1

Hmmm, I didn't go into what we think we want to do/be (as told to us by others and society and etc.) compared with what we truly within our heart desire... But yeah that too :).

Yeah. And you just reminded me of something. There is a video recording young kids graduating from one level before Summer break. The question asked every kid, who had to go up on the stage, was, "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

One little boy go up on stage and answered, "I don't ever want to grow up."

• Like 1

I'm glad you put this in the General Discussions subforum as I don't post in PP threads.

Yes, I had my dreams, ambitions and goals. I screwed nearly all of them up. But one of them was to live my own life. At this I have been successful.

Anymore my only real goal is to live one more day, one day at a time, as I do most evenings plan what I am going to do tomorrow.

Apparently you were successful in the most important one :).

The others were probably fleeting...

• Like 1

I have MANY dreams. They change over time of course. Previously they were all a mish-mash of ego wish fulfilment and humanitarian fantasies. Of course, back then, I thought I was very wise and knew what was best – for just about everyone. Ahhh … youth , testosterone and self-assurance!

When my dreams came true they were often little occurrences and events that may or may not have seemed significant at the time, but then , when vision expanded they became parts of a whole, fulfilling many dreams I have had … both ‘mundane’ and significant of a life’s ‘work, path, dharma true will’.

So I, being very Neptunian and dreaming a lot … and also being fortunate enough to have balancing and ground natal aspects as well, had many dreams fulfilled which has given me, what some tell me, is a very full and rich life. I believe that sort of thing is relative as I see and know many people that have a life SO rich and full and diverse it blows me away. I can say; I have hardly travelled, I have never had children, I have not … blah blah … but again … Dharma.

I’m not sure I would change anything or ‘fiddle with the formulae ‘ if I had a chance.

I would often dream about having the money to do …. But no … that doesn’t seem to work … yet. But I would often get the thing , or some form of the thing, that I wanted to buy with the money I wanted … good, as it stopped me in from being too greedy.

Flying … I still want that dream to come true … that is going to be GREAT when that one happens! … I mean ; just me … flying , no glider or Garuda … just me … oh OKAY! … maybe a magic carpet then, I would settle for that.

Here are some dreams that came true for me:

I wanted to be free and individual and not too tied up in the system … I didn’t want to spend time working but living ; camping out, some travelling, endless hours in the ocean, at the beach and under the water. I wanted to live for a time with basic camping equipment, enough money and a Triumph motorcycle and just cruise around and see the country. I wanted to live on a ‘hippy commune’.

Hang on … change all those wants to dreams … I dreamed of: Studying cultural anthropology, divinity and comparative religion at University (but not have to bother with exams, just do the units I chose … and I wanted someone else to pay for it. Join a coven. …

Never have to go back to school again !!!

Ooohhh I dreamed of THAT one soooo much! (And it came true ! … For years, occasionally I would wake up in the morning and go ‘Oh NO! … wait a minute – I don’t have to school anymore ! ) - I am liking this meditation

… Find a secret magical ‘occult’ order and join it. Connect with the indigenous and learn about life and this land from them. Be with lots of different beautiful woman … (ah yes a constant dream that one ! Seeing as I was a virgin until I was 20!)

I could go on … and on and on … but I am interested to read as well.

Current dream? To just go on for a while longer in relative comfort and to be left in my ‘own space’; a nice spot connected to nature and the animals, the beautiful ‘ti-too ti-too’ (and other) bell like calls of the eastern rosellas that sound to me like pixies playing in the garden … to maintain communication with the ‘elemental’ kingdom in a special little nature spot I live in … to get a car … to continue my spiritual development … and that everyone works their stuff out ‘as they will’ without so much splattering their own gloop around onto other people and nature.

Any jobs going on that island for an old dotty gardener that would like to help Bio-dynamically assist the nature there? (I promise not to do laps of the island on a Triumph, have a harem, invite hippies, or splatter gloop – although I may want to write, paint, make things out of bamboo, and occasionally FLY laps of the island.)

• Like 2

Hey that sounds like mine when I was younger, and I don't even have the testosterone alibi! ;)

Ha! I was still invincible <flexes> until the third motorcycle accident and that big guy in the martial arts tournament :glare:

That is very awesome about manifesting your dreams :).

Yes ... I suppose so as I am still in awe ... its probably good to be in awe of ones life.

Are those things you wanted more than what you did do/get/live though?

Eh? :D you might have to ask that in different words ... I both ; got more than I dreamed (in some areas) and not 'enough' of what I dreamed in others.

On speculation I guess its like initiation ... or being led into the mythic ... as things that were great also happened that I never dreamed of ... in retrospect , if I had known I would have dreamed and hoped to do them as well. Sometimes, with the mythic world, we strive for it, we follow something (like a magic deer) and end up somewhere fantastic, we just stumble upon it ( the magic forest clearing, the abandoned overgrown castle, or fall down a 'rabbit hole'; all different ways.

Course traveling the world can be quite awesome; I have done a little of it. I have more recently given up that hobby to train martial arts. Both are worth it equally in their own ways, just different times in my life I guess.

Yep that was dream too - martial arts ... although too lazy for the 'be like Bruce Lee' dream ( ahah I found a false dream ! To dream to be like another ... agree? )

That is always a good sign of being where you are meant to be, as well as contentment :).

seriously ... I am happy ... and content , many people think I am bullshitting about that. I must confess I don't make a very good Buddhist ... that suffering and sorrow stuff ... the' trance of Binah' IMO ... its fine .. all PART of it... but one can go further

I would agree with that mostly, but also at the same time I personally have to watch myself as I can get too comfortable and just sit back and enjoy and relax for too long, instead of working towards the next level of experience... hard to describe, hope that makes sense. It is a bad habit of mine, but fortunately doesn't last long (the invisibles like to kick my butt if they notice lol).

It not only makes sense its relevant to me ... but hey! I'm 'retired' (been retired since 1975 ;) )

Oh hell yes! One day my magic teacher told me the secret of money magic, to ask for what you need, not just money or a certain amount of money (though I have had success with that as well). So I just started asking for what I need instead, and found it works better, and in much more interesting ways! For example being given the item I need, or finding them for 1/10th the price due to some price error or whatever. Yes that as well, I always have enough, but not usually too much. I have asked for extra to help friends out as well before though, and that tends to work when needed.

Yep .. that's it !

Well apparently you have not read my PFF lately ;). Speaking of magic carpets... I think I should PM you an experience or two I have had with mine!! I'm still not sure if it is some sort of astral projection or what...

I don't even know what a PFF is :blink: seriously ... I can be blindingly dumb in some areas. is it some personal profile page here ? an internet facebookey thing (in which I refuse to co-operate or tweeter or whatever ... and while ya at it keep that goddamn blue toothey thing away from me ... consarn it ! )

Now I am off to search for magic carpets

Edited by Nungali

Ha clicked dislike again

You have had those come to be? Awesome! I most especially like the live for a time with basic camping equipment. I have done this before a few times, but with a couple of more luxuries (not too far from a restaurant if I got desperate lolol). It was a very enlightening experience though, and I saw things that you definitely do not see unless you are living right there in nature in the elements, for an extended period of time.

me and the bike and tent ... great times ... travel, camp out , find somewhere to stay, do that for a while ... move on... after times return to base area ... always jobs to get, cheap great houses near the beach to rent ... good times ... save some money and off again ... the good old days ... cant do stuff like that there now though.

You are saying you did not enjoy the actual physical school aspect? I loved college personally, especially anthropology. Some friends and I got to do a magic ritual and circle for the second last class in religious anthropology. It was awesome!

No ... I hated a lot of school as I was forced to go to these stupid catholic schools until I got told , as a threat, that I might have to leave . hooray... a few years at a much better state school ... but still ... some days I didn't want to go to school ... I like to be abe to do what I want (and I usually can - how lucky am I ... it infuriates some ... like parents ... who couldn't figure out HOW I got so spoiled or how I (of all the others!) kept getting what I wanted without having to suffer for it :) (they couldn't figure out why I kept giving my stuff and money away to others either ... errrmmm ... 1 + 1 = ... ? )

I LOVED college and UNI !

Those are always good dreams, and manifestations :).

Its a good one because it never ends.

Edited by Nungali

This question has definitely got me thinking. When I was younger, I had lots of dreams but slowly, I've been whittling away at them. I am a large proponent of the check list point of view of life so I have always made my current dreams a priority.

I hadn't though about what my dreams are in awhile (until I saw this thread). And It got me thinking about why that was. I realized that once I had gotten the big ones out of the way (have enough sex, party enough, travel enough, true friendship, true love, happy family, 'enough' financial success), they started getting trickier. I am realizing now that my dreams are all falling into the "grass is always greener on the other side" category. I think this is why I have cared less about them lately. I have begun to realize that my dreams, ambitions, goals all involve wanting what I don't currently have but at the same time, I know I like what I already have. Which creates a new strange relationship with them.

Great example. My first thought to this thread post was, "I want a house, a place to paint and practice." But I know the reason I say this is because, I have been traveling the world for the last half a year, never in the same place for more than two weeks. If I had read this before I left traveling, I very well could have thought, "to travel the world and not be in the same place for more than two weeks."

I know this was a thread for people to dish on their dreams, ambitions and goals so we could all compare. So I apologize for going off on the larger picture of what makes dreams, ambitions and goals... but since this is a Taoist forum, I thought it would be OK... sorry if it wasn't.

• Like 5

This question has definitely got me thinking. When I was younger, I had lots of dreams but slowly, I've been whittling away at them. I am a large proponent of the check list point of view of life so I have always made my current dreams a priority.

I hadn't though about what my dreams are in awhile (until I saw this thread). And It got me thinking about why that was. I realized that once I had gotten the big ones out of the way (have enough sex, party enough, travel enough, true friendship, true love, happy family, 'enough' financial success), they started getting trickier. I am realizing now that my dreams are all falling into the "grass is always greener on the other side" category. I think this is why I have cared less about them lately. I have begun to realize that my dreams, ambitions, goals all involve wanting what I don't currently have but at the same time, I know I like what I already have. Which creates a new strange relationship with them.

Great example. My first thought to this thread post was, "I want a house, a place to paint and practice." But I know the reason I say this is because, I have been traveling the world for the last half a year, never in the same place for more than two weeks. If I had read this before I left traveling, I very well could have thought, "to travel the world and not be in the same place for more than two weeks."

I know this was a thread for people to dish on their dreams, ambitions and goals so we could all compare. So I apologize for going off on the larger picture of what makes dreams, ambitions and goals... but since this is a Taoist forum, I thought it would be OK... sorry if it wasn't.

Awesome post, and most definitely welcome :). I think reflections about dreams in general are just as important (perhaps more?) than the dreams themselves. It is always good to see things from different perspectives.

I have noticed the grass is greener thing as well when you spend time with one dream, then you think oh I would love the opposite now.

• Like 2

Once you realize "the grass is greener on the other side," is ingrained into our minds. Getting stressed about your dreams - and not achieving all of them - lessens and life becomes just that much better.

• Like 4

Funny. I never had to deal with the "The grass is always greener on the other side" problem. No idea why.

Oh, sure, I had many dreams when I was younger. Did they really matter or make a difference in my life? I have no idea.

To know when one has enough. That's a dream worth attaining.

I never had sex on an airplane though. Just a dream.

• Like 1

I never had sex on an airplane though. Just a dream.

It's not all it's cracked up to be. It's just cramped and you're not fooling anyone when two people come out of a airplane bathroom.

Sex at Disney land, now that's making it the "Greatest Place On Earth."

• Like 1

Once you realize "the grass is greener on the other side," is ingrained into our minds. Getting stressed about your dreams - and not achieving all of them - lessens and life becomes just that much better.

That triggered a thought ... I recently returned to my country home from the city by train, plenty of time to look at the countryside (700km) . Its been sooo dry and rain free for months and months, yet I notice as I have about 10 times doing that trip over 20 years, the closer I get to home the greener it gets :) - regardless of rainfall or season.

I flew over the home area at high altitude a couple of years back; it looked like an emerald green crack in the earth ... a crack with moss growing in it.

So .... my grass IS greener :) because its a in a great spot and is a sub- tropical rainforest area ... greener ... :) full of nature and life :wub: wetter ... hotter ... ^_^ has more ticks and leeches :mellow: and it can get really humid and close :( and big march flies bite you :angry: and funnel-web spiders can casually walk through the kitchen :o and :unsure: and :wacko: and :blink: and finally :D

• Like 3

Sex on an airplane dream? That's a subject for Jungian analysis !

But having a wishful and hopeful desire to have sex on an airplane ... and achieving it ... Nah! Not for me (unless it was a private Lear Jet or something).

Sex with an airplane ? Now ya talking! That's more like it. :)

Actually I did have a very strange occurrence on an airplane but off topic here ( probably the opposite of this thread topic actually)

• Like 2

It would seem to me- as a thought one could have ....

that entertaining dreams is just peachy, and pursuing dreams is worthwhile ,

rewarding -ummm ,, and though I am not saying whether thats all true or not ,,

it doesnt sound much like living in the present moment ,

nor does it sound much like wei wu wei,

nor does it sound like the shrugging off of attachments and judgements.

It sounds more like the conventional mindset which one would entertain

in contradiction to the tao of Lao. IMO

but by all means , do and dream as you see fit because the person who

lives your life and the only proper judge of it would be you.

• Like 1

But Stosh, we do need to dance now and then.

And even play in the sandbox when we feel like that.

Go ahead! All Im saying is -that in my opinion- the dudes pointed in another direction, long term,

I never said you had to go there.

If you care to point to the parts that say you should continue to entertain dreams

and be dissatisfied with where you are, or what you do ,

or how much better things would all be IF...

It would represent an entirely different philosophy ( as I see it)

I dont think wu wei etc is supposed to a perspective one would be trying to get a rest from

if one was getting it right, serious about it , etc..

Im thinking such dreams are precisely what they were warning

actually brought sadness and dissatisfaction in the end.

Ive never seen anythiing to dispute that, but there may be a paragraph that says 'skip it all' on sundays.

Edited by Stosh

It would seem to me- as a thought one could have ....

that entertaining dreams is just peachy, and pursuing dreams is worthwhile ,

rewarding -ummm ,, and though I am not saying whether thats all true or not ,,

it doesnt sound much like living in the present moment ,

nor does it sound much like wei wu wei,

nor does it sound like the shrugging off of attachments and judgements.

It sounds more like the conventional mindset which one would entertain

in contradiction to the tao of Lao. IMO

but by all means , do and dream as you see fit because the person who

lives your life and the only proper judge of it would be you.

I love this perspective, and it is a good reminder :) thank you.