I've been noticing how unfocused I am; how I'm totally all over the place. Even in conversation, I can't stay focused on one topic and always drift off to like ten other topics. I've trained in like ten martial arts or something and can't ever pick one to delve into. I always have too much stuff, twelve things going on.

Other than meditating, what can you do to stay focused? I know in the past I have done vata tea and an essential oil that had oakmoss and vetiver...but I think those were for grounding. I guess being grounded would help one be more focused...

Anything else?

Physically-Splashing cold water on the face, a set of fast push ups.

Mentally-Intention and surrender. Whats going on is fine. If what you are doing right now would last for eternity, would you be fine with it? If so, you have focus :)

Michael

I've been noticing how unfocused I am; how I'm totally all over the place. Even ..

My observation is that when we start hitting on our bigger issues, it just takes a long time, persistance, training, insight, finding effective method/s. Usually such issues are in our whole body structure, and you just have to work your way through the parts until it comes together.

I've been noticing how unfocused I am; how I'm totally all over the place. Even in conversation, I can't stay focused on one topic and always drift off to like ten other topics. I've trained in like ten martial arts or something and can't ever pick one to delve into. I always have too much stuff, twelve things going on.

Other than meditating, what can you do to stay focused? I know in the past I have done vata tea and an essential oil that had oakmoss and vetiver...but I think those were for grounding. I guess being grounded would help one be more focused...

Anything else?

simplify

One way to focus is to involve other people and social commitments in your practice. For example, if you are teaching a class or attending one, then you'll have a minimum commitment that you are obligated to keep. There's a sacrifice of autonomy but it's one many people choose to make.

It's okay to study many things. Follow your values and follow your inspiration. You'll naturally be led to practices to which you'll happily commit!

good luck.

i involve tons of people and social commitments in all of my practices, and i do study and commit to many things. that's why i suck at all of them. jack of all trades and all that.

Hello Lozen

Th question your ask struck a chord with me.

Personally, I agree with Trunk's thoughts on this. I have just turned 31 and have never been able to focus on any one thing. It is like my mind slides away. I always thought this was multi-tasking combined with being a Gemini.

On the night of my birthday I found out some crucially important information regarding my birth father. Something that completely changed how I thought of the situation and how I thought he felt about me (I believed my birth father didn't love me...crazy relationship issues thereafter premised on this belief...). Turns out he did/does love me (I won't go into too many details). I came home from my parents' house. Cried with relief. Went to sleep. Woke up the next day and had tonnes more focus then I did the previous day.

Small things...cleaned my room. Big things: Made a list of the things I need to find out or purchase for my trip overseas. Considered my career. Starting to re-establish friendships. Started looking after myself properly...cooking and cleaning. I can see myself establishing myself to create the life I want to live.

L

PS - The day after I got this information, I went to my reiki/bowen lady to have some work done on my body. She couldn't find a single knot or area of pain that has previously existed in the two years she has known me. After 15 minutes, she told me to get off the table and we sat and had a cup of tea instead!

Other than meditating, what can you do to stay focused?

How about meditating? :D

Seriously though, what drags your attention all over the place is the inability to say "no" to a thought that doing x would be good, necessary, interesting etc.

And to get the space, the pause, to say no to a thought you really like, is not really going to happen until you've practiced not being influenced by a million other ordinary random thoughts.

I.e. meditation.

I know you hate it, but whatever you hate about it will get boring after the first few hundred times.

Your mind is probably throwing a big fuss to stop you getting started, because it loves the power of running you ragged. All that energy it gets. Yum.

Hope helps,

I

Here is an impressive website for keeping on track of goals. Its has (free) personalized print out sheets called The Printable CEO. Its great for tracking long and short term goals in easily identifiable and motivating ways.

davidseah.com

For example, one form is the Concrete Goals Tracker. Its based a daily point system. You list things worth things you want to accomplish and give them points. It tracks how many points you earn a day. 10 points for hard solid completed work. 5 points for hard definite progress. 2 points for doing the work that day. 1 point for easy maintenance stuff. You write your goals in definite terms. Points are computed daily and added up at the end of the week.

He has Task Progress trackers where you write your goal, break it down and put keep track of time spend working towards it in 15 minute increments. Very good for procrastinators like myself.

Give it a look, print out some of the forms there and see if it connects at all.

Michael

Here is an impressive website for keeping on track of goals. Its has (free) personalized print out sheets called The Printable CEO. Its great for tracking long and short term goals in easily identifiable and motivating ways.

davidseah.com

Nice! Similar answer to mine - but with resources. Very nice.

Last time I meditated it was for a half hour a day for about a month. All it ever did was make me fall asleep and make my back hurt.

Thanks for the link, Michael, I'll look at that!

I did manage to prioritize the five things I'm trying to do.

I did manage to prioritize the five things I'm trying to do.

:)

what is the one thing?...

i'm glad you started this thread, cause it's making me think about that..'what's the one thing i need to do in this lifetime'..and then..why the heck am I not devoting all my time and energy into doing that.

hmmm

T

Yes.

I've found the most effective way to focus - is to focus.

But first I recommend you decide what you will focus on.

who is focusing

Love all the great ideas in this post.

Me, I just stop. Stop. Sit. Not necessarily meditate just sit. Just be.

Once I'm there long enough for all the crazy tension to leave my body, I really penetrate to what is important to me. What is do-able. What is helping me the most. Then I focus on that.

whats on second and i dont know is on third

the bottom of the ninth. 2 outs, full count, game on the line,

just focus on the next pitch, ok?

Lozen: Consider the possibility that your larger SELF may be very focused indeed. There might be a part of you, a wonderfully compassionate and protective part, that is focused on distracting you at all costs from awareness of a truth you are not quite ready to integrate. Percieved lack of focus may be a symptom that something bigger is going on in your body/mind. My advice? : explore gently.