I've heard a few people say something about how full lotus helps when conserving jing/sexual energy. I see absolutely no reason why a particular sitting position would do this but then again I'm not all that knowledgable on the subject so I really don't know. Anyone know if there's any truth to this and if so can you elaborate?

• Like 1

Different positions affect the energy in your body in different ways.

Full lotus helps to shift the energy up away from the lower body so yes this can help with conserving jing.

I personally don't use full lotus much at the moment - half lotus is my main meditation posture. It is enough.

One can direct the energy up in any position when one knows how.

• Like 2

I've heard a few people say something about how full lotus helps when conserving jing/sexual energy. I see absolutely no reason why a particular sitting position would do this but then again I'm not all that knowledgable on the subject so I really don't know. Anyone know if there's any truth to this and if so can you elaborate?

Drew will be here shortly to reply.

• Like 3

You can tell if something increases jing, by if your skin becomes softer like silk and subtly glowing kind of a more golden color. This is one way.

• Like 1

Drew will be here shortly to reply.

yeh... need hempel to weigh in on this

gs18.gif

... btw, the one where he debated the wanderling on zen and the subtleties of translating 'nirodha'... classic

• Like 1

In my experience, half lotus is enough to help prevent ejeculation when in coitus, which I guess helps preserve energy. I think this has something to do with the energy in the body. You can't tense your thighs in the way you would normally do before you cum.

• Like 1

Simple foot position in Kunlun allows energy to enter crown.

Full lotus, as a half body below torso position, will definitely have greater overall effect.

So my answer is yes, from 40 years experience with full lotus.

• Like 1

One can have dozens of children by sitting in full-lotus hahaha

The only thing that can sublimate jing is ... emptiness. The way you sit doesn't matter that much.

• Like 1

There are 3 important effects in Full Lotus

-When I practice Kumbhaka (9 step bottled wind) while in Full Lotus I don't feel Ecstatic energy into the legs.

=> By blocking the energy at the bottom maybe the energy is forced to ascend.

-Full Lotus is also a "Hip opener" and therefore allows the sexual energy to be more accessible to do whatever you want.

-Full Lotus is an erect posture which promotes ascendance of Prana from lower centers into higher centers, you will have better meditation than if you just lie down.

Many others techniques are used to makes this ascendance: Mulhabandha/Asvini, Jalandhara, Mobile Body Awerness, Sambhavi, Nauli, or Yabyum.

The controversy about Full Lotus on TTB is about how some people think Full Lotus is so powerful it can be used as a stand alone for sublimation. But while it may be true for advanced practitioners like them, it won't be enough for newbies like me.

Edited by nickyro
  • Like 2

I have begun to notice that while sitting in full lotus I get what feels like a build up of energy in the rectum/base of spine area. It has an almost "ticklish" feeling and sort of makes me want to squirm. I don't know if this is relevant or not but I also practice complete celibacy and emptiness meditation (1-2 hours a day on average) and so far I've been celibate for five days. I don't think that is enough time to amount to anything yet but I just thought I'd stick it out there.

• Like 1