Sign in to follow this  
RiverSnake

Tarot Learning Tools/Techniques

Recently been feeling like I am bumping up against some pretty sturdy walls when it comes to my ability to read the cards and continually deepen my understanding of the cards. It's not first time this has happened, we all have our peaks and valleys in growth, but it's caused me to start looking elsewhere for deeper insights into reading the cards.

I am curious if anyone would share the ways they learned to read the Tarot and which ones were most powerful for them? I think it is likely that the only to continue progressing is more practice, but some friendly tips couldn't hurt. :)

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 1

What I am finding in my study of the Tarot is that many books on the Tarot like the one that goes with my deck has a highly esoteric focus and thus can be very ungrounded in that they propose these high in the sky alchemical and transformational concepts but at the same time when your doing a reading for others you need to be able to ground the cards in something real and tangible that is occurring in their life. Really trying to deepen my practice.

Found this podcast as an interesting source for Insights into the minds of professionals readers and how they work and approach there trade: http://torontotarotportal.wordpress.com

Also I am purchasing this book by Paul Fenton Smith which seems to be a bit more grounded and practical in its approach to doing readings, anyone have experience with his books? It's supposedly used in Tarot training courses all over the world: http://www.amazon.com/The-Tarot-Revealed-Beginners-Guide/dp/1741752590/ref=lh_di_t_dup?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AA5JYOVJZ74PX

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi

Did a correspondence course way back and this is the book of the course:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Magical-World-Tarot-Fourfold/dp/0877288739

Essentially it involved meeting in active imagination the Spirit of the Tarot, The Fool, and then meeting the other cards in turn.

Very interesting technique. I have always been a fan of Gareth Knight's work.

My 2 cents, Peace

I don't read the cards myself but am interested in learning how. A good friend whose read for years passed on some advice that he'd gotten from his teacher: pick a card every morning for that day. That way you can hold the card in your consciousness through the day and get a feeling for how what happens relates to it. Haven't done this but it sounded like a great learning tool, and thought I'd pass it on.

Liminal

• Like 1

I don't read the cards myself but am interested in learning how. A good friend whose read for years passed on some advice that he'd gotten from his teacher: pick a card every morning for that day. That way you can hold the card in your consciousness through the day and get a feeling for how what happens relates to it. Haven't done this but it sounded like a great learning tool, and thought I'd pass it on.Liminal

Interesting technique, one that I have actually heard of before and practiced for awhile. Very useful stuff.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 1

Recently been feeling like I am bumping up against some pretty sturdy walls when it comes to my ability to read the cards and continually deepen my understanding of the cards. It's not first time this has happened, we all have our peaks and valleys in growth, but it's caused me to start looking elsewhere for deeper insights into reading the cards.

I am curious if anyone would share the ways they learned to read the Tarot and which ones were most powerful for them? I think it is likely that the only to continue progressing is more practice, but some friendly tips couldn't hurt. :)

My 2 cents, Peace

My 2 cents, Peace

Numerology

planetary magick

tree of life

astrology

construction of the god form

• Like 2

What I am finding in my study of the Tarot is that many books on the Tarot like the one that goes with my deck has a highly esoteric focus and thus can be very ungrounded in that they propose these high in the sky alchemical and transformational concepts but at the same time when your doing a reading for others you need to be able to ground the cards in something real and tangible that is occurring in their life. Really trying to deepen my practice.

Oooo! That was a doozey for me!

I look at it like this; divination is the LEAST useful use of the Tarot ... it IS a usefull use but the others are SOOO useful in comparison.

Its the system, the obvious and occulted gnosis and so much more in the cards ... a system of teaching, collating and accessing knowledge from everything mentioned above and more. So I preferred to read for people interested in that (which I did for around 30 years ... including 'professionally' ) other then the usual money sex/love power job travel issues .

For me, reading is a dialogue and a dragging out the meaning by the querant and the reader working together. This worked best when I could encapsulate the energy of the reading in a general form and deliver that to the querant , then they would give it relevance to their real and tangible situations, then we could get more into the detail of the reading relating to that situation and the various forces and energies at work ...

some people loved my readings and found them accurate and returned for more ... others just :blink: and drifted off to the other Tarot readers (like the guy with the glitter wand and the top hat <_< or the girl in fairy costume :wacko: .

Numerology

planetary magick

tree of life

astrology

construction of the god form

Interesting stuff. I am slowly getting a grasp on astrology (it's complicated) and have been studying the Tree of Life for awhile. Yet to really dabble in the understanding of planetary Magick, but seems very interesting, gonna look for some good books on the topic. Learning the Tarot kinda tricks you into learning about numerology. :P

My 2 cents, Peqce

I don't read the cards myself but am interested in learning how. A good friend whose read for years passed on some advice that he'd gotten from his teacher: pick a card every morning for that day. That way you can hold the card in your consciousness through the day and get a feeling for how what happens relates to it. Haven't done this but it sounded like a great learning tool, and thought I'd pass it on.Liminal

Started using this technique and have found it quite valuable. Another method I've found quite useful in really grounding my understanding of tarot in physical reality is creating tarot spells for fun....asking yourself if I wanted to make this change in my life or attract this into my life what combinations of cards would I use? It's been an interesting thought experiment so far.

Got the idea from Tarot Spells by Janine Renee.

Funny... The postman brought me that book yesterday. I need to get a few coloured candles and other stuff before I can try out some of the techniques. I think it's very cool. :)

Indeed it is a cool book. For an overview of spell craft itself id recommend Power Spellcraft by Arin-Murphy Hiscock

The Greater Trumps by Charles Williams is a work of ficton infused with Tarot lore.

Chapter listing:

Title: The Greater Trumps (1932)Author: Charles WilliamsContents:Chapter One      THE LEGACYChapter Two      THE HERMITChapter Three    THE SHUFFLING OF THE CARDSChapter Four     THE CHARIOTChapter Five     THE IMAGE THAT DID NOT MOVEChapter Six      THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE FOOLChapter Seven    THE DANCE IN THE WORLDChapter Eight    CHRISTMAS DAY IN THE COUNTRYChapter Nine     SYBILChapter Ten      NANCYChapter Eleven   JOANNAChapter Twelve   THE FALLING TOWERChapter Thirteen THE CHAPTER OF THE GOING FORTH BY NIGHTChapter Fourteen THE MOON OF THE TAROTSChapter Fifteen  THE WANDERERS IN THE BEGINNINGChapter Sixteen  "SUN, STAND THOU STILL UPON GIBEON"

Sign in to follow this