Jetsun

The importance of Bodhichitta and compassion

I have been reading a lot of Buddhist forums and it seems like many of the internet Buddhists underestimate the importance of Bodhichitta, especially many of the Dzogchen practitioners. This is what the Dalai Lama said when he gave his own teachings on Dzogchen when giving a teaching on the Longchen Rabjam text 'Finding Comfort and Ease in Meditation on the Great Perfection'

"The fundamental reason we are able to attain omniscience lies in bodhichitta, which itself is rooted in compassion. If bodhichitta is present, the state of omniscience - and buddhahood- is possible; without it, buddhahood can never be attained. Everything then depends upon whether we have bodhichitta.

Our kind teacher Lord Buddha, on the basis of his own experience, taught that the principle training for us to follow is that of bodhichitta. We could think of the Basic Vehicle as a foundation or preliminary to bodhichitta and all the teachings on bodhichitta itself in the Mahayana as the main body of the path. This includes the six transcendent perfections, and it is within the practice of concentration and wisdom that the cycle of Vajrayana teachings and practices fall. They constitute a training in bodhichitta. So I feel that all the 84,000 teachings of the Buddha - the Basic Vehicle, Mahayana and Vajrayana- are rooted in bodhichitta."

- Mind in Comfort and Ease - Dalai Lama - pp153

Q.E.D.

Not really, what I've posted is actually emphasized as the starting point in sutrayana: which is discerning correct view i.e. dependent origination. Of course, in Vajarayana as a whole, the view is introduced by the guru, but what I posted about the Gelugpas is not something I made up. Even within Dzogchen, which is beyond sems: tantras and commentaries from different masters, goes to lengths to distinguish this view from other paths (then there's people like Longchenpa and ChNN who have said that the view of Dzogchen is the same as Prasanga Madhyamaka - the difference being that the former is not a result of intellectual analysis).

Rongzom and HH Dudjom Rinpoche rightfully leave madhyamaka at the sutrayana level

@ 9th & cat

I apologize for my accusations of tirthika views and for my sarcastically assholish remarks.

Edited by Simple_Jack

Whether I am a practitioner of Buddhadharma or not is a different issue than whether or not I am a practitioner of Vajrayana

Correct you can be a practitioner of Buddhadharma without being a practitioner of Vajrayana.

I don't think SJ was talking about you.

Why do Buddhist threads so often lead to RF and S_J starting unnecessary 'debates' based on ad hominems?

By the way, don't lump me in with SJ.

I don't know what hes talking about half the time.

You need bodhicitta, but not bodhisattva vows. As far as I know.

Yeah, taking bodhisattva vows should only be done unless you're serious about upholding them.

By the way, don't lump me in with SJ.

I don't know what hes talking about half the time.

:lol:

Fair enough.

Not really, what I've posted is actually emphasized as the starting point in sutrayana: which is discerning correct view i.e. dependent origination. Of course, in Vajarayana as a whole, the view is introduced by the guru, but what I posted about the Gelugpas is not something I made up. Even within Dzogchen, which is beyond sems: tantras and commentaries from different masters, goes to lengths to distinguish this view from other paths (then there's people like Longchenpa and ChNN who have said that the view of Dzogchen is the same as Prasanga Madhyamaka - the difference being that the former is not a result of intellectual analysis).

Yes... really! :D

Garchen Rinpoche on bodhicitta and the nature of mind:

http://www.khandro.net/lama_Garchen_Rinpoche.htm

...You have to look at the nature of obscurations and eliminate them, whether they are greed, anger, or ignorance. It is very important to know how obscurations develop. If you don't know this, you can't dispel them. I spoke of the analogy of the child and its mother. First the mother likes the child, which is one layer, then the mother sees the child as beautiful, which is a second layer, then as intelligent which is a third layer. It is like being bound by a rope. If the child dies because of impermanence the mother will suffer greatly. If you know how obscuration develops, you can immediately look at the nature of the obscuration when it appears. Our minds are like ice that is frozen by the cold of the afflictive emotions. In order to melt it, we need sunlight, which is the cultivation of bodhicitta. Ordinarily, if your enemy harms you, you will feel anger. This is like cold freezing water into ice. In a situation like this it is important to be mindful and to cultivate bodhicitta.

If you can make the distinction between thoughts and mind, within that moment you can be enlightened. If you see the nature of mind and remain in that awareness you are enlightened. But when thoughts appear and you fail to recognize their nature, you become ordinary. So ordinary beings and enlightened beings are only separated by one moment. So first you must know the nature of your own mind.

Q: What is the difference between relative and absolute bodhicitta?

A: Relative bodhicitta is based on the understanding of cause and effect and karma. Absolute bodhicitta is based on seeing the nature of afflictive emotions. When you see their nature is emptiness, that is absolute bodhicitta. Then you are beyond these concepts. Cause, effect and karma do not affect absolute bodhicitta because absolute bodhicitta is beyond concept. But until you have realized absolute bodhicitta, you must believe in cause, effect, and karma. Until then you should practice virtuous actions. The unity of absolute and relative bodhicitta will happen when you understand emptiness as the nature of the mind. At this time you will develop great compassion for those who have not seen it. So at that point relative and absolute bodhicitta unite.

Until now we have not practiced mindfulness. That is the basis of our obscurations and how our perceptions have become deluded. Now is the time to be mindful of our thoughts and how they arise so that our afflictive emotions will lessen. In that way mindfulness is like a strong fire.

I have said many things but there are two main points. First, you have to see all beings as your beloved. This has an immense benefit, like a wish fulfilling jewel. This is the practice of relative bodhicitta. The second point is absolute bodhicitta. You have to be aware of the nature of mind, no matter how many thoughts arise. You should not be distracted by thoughts, but be mindful.

All disasters are caused by mistaken thought. Mistaken thoughts cause disasters when you are careless. Not only will there be attacks from the outside, but from the inside too. The attacks from the inside are the afflictive emotions. Supporting the practice of recognizing the nature of mind is relative bodhicitta, Of all emotions, anger is the worst. It will destroy yourself and others. So you have to be careful. The result of anger is obvious in the recent attacks. There will be endless destruction if you engage in anger. If you attack one, they will attack two, and so forth. So you should be mindful of the result of anger. Think that if anger arises again it is like committing suicide.

Edited by Simple_Jack
  • Like 2

For me it's just a matter of logic. To attain Enlightenment you would an ineffable amount of merit.

Now say you have the intention to heal your sick child. That would create merit. Now say you have the intention to heal your child of all sufferings. There are 84,000 sufferings so it's base merit times 84,000. Now say you have the intention to heal all beings of all sufferings. There are infinite beings. That's the base merit of altruism times 84,000 times infinity.

Now that merit is only gained during mediation, so if you combine Bodhicitta with your daily activities then you would wake up to heal all beings of all sufferings, brush your teeth to heal all beings of all sufferings, eat breakfast to heal all beings of all sufferings etc. Then you would be creating infinite merit every second of every day!

Thus, the common saying that there can be no Enlightenment without Bodhicitta makes sense. As does the promise that people who feel Bodhicitta 24/7 shall attain Enlightenment quickly.

“In short, it is said that when you are motivated by this mind [bodhicitta], any virtue you create will provide you with the same benefit as the total number of sentient beings.”

-Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand pg. 558

“If you have developed bodhicitta in your mind-stream you will succeed in all the things ordinary people fail at, the knowledge mantras or tantric spells described in the sutras and tantras, in certain anthologies and so on to make it rain, stop hail, and so forth. Blame this on ordinary people’s lack of bodhicitta. Thus, if you want to rid yourself and others of sickness, etc. and want to have greater abilities, you must develop this mind. It is wrong to think an instruction taught on some tantric spell is at fault if it does not work for you.”

-Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand pg. 560

“No Buddha of the three times became a Buddha without developing bodhicitta. A Buddha not needing bodhicitta is something unheard of. Therefore, someone without any bodhicitta will not receive the Buddhahood they want; they haven’t a hope of achieving Buddhahood if they lack this. So you must take it seriously.”

-Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand pg. 575

“When you experience the conscious desire to achieve Buddhahood for the sake of sentient beings, you have developed a bodhicitta that resembles the outer layer of a piece of sugar cane. But if, in addition, you experience an involuntary desire to achieve full enlightenment for the sake of any sentient being you see, you have developed true bodhicitta in your mind-stream. You have entered the Mahayana path of accumulation and begun the three great aeons of amassing [the two collections]. You will acquire infinite qualities and gain the names ‘Child of the Victorious Ones’ and ‘Bodhisattva’. When you practice after achieving this insight, you are sure to be enlightened quickly even if you do not resort to the tantric path.’”

-Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand pg. 586-587

• Like 2

DId you read it Creation? I did, and wondered what you got out of it?

No, just a bit on google books. I mentioned it because it is the only source I know of for a non-male-centric perspective on Vajrayana sexual practices.

It's on my "to-read" list, but not high on the list. What did you think of it?

Edited by Creation

Well... I thought 'meh'.. I felt I already had the information. Am not sure if this is 'just me' or is a wider sense of this text with people familiar with female practice. I had been looking forward to reading it and was surprised not to get so much out of it. Maybe it is less than gripping for a practitioner.

I guess if this start's happening its time to stop reading, either that, or I could try reading it again.. ;)

Well, I know she doesn't go in to detail about the practices in order to honor the traditional way of receiving empowerments, keeping vows of secrecy, etc. It's definitely more a "Hmm isn't this interesting" book than a "Here's how to practice" book. Also, it is based on her PhD thesis (in anthropology, if I recall correctly), so it has that academic quality to it that not everyone likes.

Edited by Creation

Why do Buddhist threads so often lead to RF and S_J starting unnecessary 'debates' based on ad hominems?

Oh and the reason why I was confrontational towards 9th was because, based off of past encounters on TTB's, my impression was that he's a perennialist:

http://www.religioperennis.org/documents/Fabbri/Perennialism.pdf

"...They claim that the historically separated traditions share not only the same divine origin but are based on the same metaphysical principles, sometimes called philosophia perennis."

Go back to the basics yourself, and try some Right Speech.

Yeah, harsh speech/sarcasm are ingrained habits which I still need to work on. It's also my fault for forgetting that a lot of people on internet forums lose their shit at the drop of a dime...which in instances such as this, was a cause of my confrontational behavior. :unsure:

Edited by Simple_Jack
  • Like 2

....If only I had the wisdom and compassionate influence of Skeletor memes on my life.... :wub::lol:

Now we all have :lol:

hats-off-salute-smiley-emoticon.gif