Sign in to follow this  
soaring crane

what Neanderthals ate

a very interesting read:

It was the tell-tale tartar on the teeth that told the truth. Or at least, that is what it appeared to do. Researchers – after studying calcified plaque on Neanderthal fossil teeth found in El Sidrón cave in Spain – last year concluded that members of this extinct human species cooked vegetables and consumed bitter-tasting medicinal plants such as chamomile and yarrow.

These were not brainless carnivores, in other words. These were smart and sensitive people capable of providing themselves with balanced diets and of treating themselves with health-restoring herbs, concluded the researchers, led by Karen Hardy at the Catalan Institution for Research and Advanced Studies in Barcelona. Our vision of these long-extinct people needs adjusting, they argued.

Continues here:

Neanderthal Stomachs

• Like 1

Yeah, the last couple documentaries I have watched that included information of the Neanderthal have lightened up on the "cave man" mentality. I'm sure they would have had some knowledge of edible plants because without a doubt there would have been times when there wasn't any or enough meat to eat.

My understanding is that their biggest default was their inability to vocalize well enough to form a solid language so that knowledge could be handed down from one generation to the next. And that default was physical, not mental.

• Like 2

Who were the first to paint bones with Ochre (which means a rite of sub-exhumation ... a series of death rites ... one cant paint bones without them being exposed first), place goods in graves ...ritual burial ... <postulates> and introduce symbology, creativity, art and reception of the 'other world' into 'us humans' by breeding with other types. ???

IE .....

Yeah, the last couple documentaries I have watched that included information of the Neanderthal have lightened up on the "cave man" mentality. I'm sure they would have had some knowledge of edible plants because without a doubt there would have been times when there wasn't any or enough meat to eat.

My understanding is that their biggest default was their inability to vocalize well enough to form a solid language so that knowledge could be handed down from one generation to the next. And that default was physical, not mental.

If they didnt have the same vocal skills they apparently had other skills, perhaps this is where we inherited our 'right hemisphere' from (that works and communicates primarily via imagary and other non-verbal means ... see studies on 'savant autism ' ;)

I don't have enough knowledge to speak to that one. Hehehe.

Yes, savant autism is a strange condition. But my knowledge there is too weak to speak to that as well.

Maybe someone else can come in and respond to it.

It seems to work on a highly symbolic/visual/pattern/image level rather than words or lineal progressions.

It is good for things like Nicloa Tesla 'Inventing' the electric dymano.

The other system is good for things like .... like .... hmmmm ... accounting and economic rationalism ???.

Edited by Nungali

Hehehe. I'm a good accountant. And I can balance my checking account. Can't play any musical instrument though.

Can't "invent" things either. But I sure can manipulate the heck out of something someone else has invented.

Neanderthal is part of our species' "tree" whether we like it or not.

I, for one, am thankfull.

And also give to thanks to the other 'species' {a friendly 'rib' Marblehead :) } in that ... like my friend says, who owns his own very successful buisness whose wife works out the tax' "I would probably be in jail if not for her".

I have a young relative who is 'autistic' she appears to be playing phrases of classical piano music on her keyboard ... but never 'taught' to.

Hehehe. The reason I mentioned the "species" thing is because there is a theory that Neanderthal were absorbed into the Homo Sapien genome.

Yes, it seems that many autistics have one superdeveloped part of their brain while other parts are severely restricted.

There are predictable trends which support that theory the neanderthals genome

was partly incorporated into caucasian and asian peoples prehistorically.

1- 4 percent is normal statistically, but it still appears that they were outcompeted in some way.

Human culture , that is to say , tools habits , social rules etc play a very large part

affecting which groups persevere and which do not.

Culture which fits the times is of temporary benefit , but may be all it takes to dominate.

Cro-magnon may have gotten along better with dogs, had a shoulder joint better for throwing,

an inherited antibody for some disease ,,or , my favorite,

just may have been more susceptible to insanity- having the dubious beneficial side effect of enhanced variability.

:)

• Like 1

and this:

Geico-Caveman.jpg

Guess keeping a show on TV wasn't easy enough for a caveman.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

Who knows ... but 'modern human' includes their influence. If 1 - 4 % is average inclusion I wonder what the highest individual rate is?

... maybe we ate them ... or maybe one day we just ... a ...ahhhh

Aahhh CHOOO! - excuse me!

Sign in to follow this