chegg

Money, Money, Money.

I've been pondering over the idea of 'what if I suddenly acquired lots of money'. Having read lots of posts here regarding money, I came across an interesting quote elsewhere on the net (see below).

Good? Bad? Neutral? Just another form of energy?

My questions: If you're on a spiritual path and suddenly acquire multi-millions in cash, what effect would it have on your spiritual developement ? Is there a threshold-of-doom for the amount of cash that one can possess? How accurate is the quote below ?

I've seen many people change in personality (for the worse) after acquiring lots of cash and I've never heard of a filthy rich, enlightened one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Money is not something that is morally neutral, a resource to be used in good or bad ways depending solely upon our attitude toward it. Mammon is a power that seeks to dominate us."

"Behind money are invisible spiritual powers, powers that are seductive and deceptive, powers that demand an all-embracing devotion."

"… behind money are very real spiritual forces that energize it and give it a life of its own. Hence, money is an active agent; it is a law unto itself; and it is capable of inspiriting devotion."

"For Christ money is an idolatry we must be converted from in order to be converted to him."

"That is why so much of Jesus’ teaching regarding wealth is evangelistic in character. He calls people to turn away from the mammon god in order to worth the one true God."

"The call of God is upon us to use money within the confines of a properly disciplined spiritual life and to manage money for the good of all humanity and for the glory of God. And when this is done we are drawn deeper into the divine Center. We stand amazed that God would use our meager efforts to do his work upon the earth. . . Money is a blessing when it is used within the context of the life and power of God."

(source: www.moneyhelpforchristians.com/money-good-or-bad/ [2])

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by chegg

Hello cat, thanks for the replies. Now more questions !

My questions: If you're on a spiritual path and suddenly acquire multi-millions in cash, what effect would it have on your spiritual developement ?

Freedom to act with generosity to make a bigger difference for others and freedom to live with creativity unhampered by material concerns.

Are you referring to detatchment ? Giving money away to make a difference for others is good. Now you have only 2 million left in your bank account after giving 8 miilion away. I'm just guessing here by saying the good karma will likely keep you in the cycle of birth/death. But if you got the money for nothing and then gave most of it away for nothing maybe it is less karmic?

Is there a threshold-of-doom for the amount of cash that one can possess?

No.

I've got a freind who is very scared of having surplus amounts of money. I havnt asked him why yet, but even small amounts he doesnt like. What if you suddenly have that 2 mill. sitting in the bank. You reckon you could clear your mind / remain detatched enough ? I'd probably be head-spinning thinking about the possibilities of what to do next.

How accurate is the quote below ?

Invisible spiritual powers are behind everything. God of the Kettle shouldnt be dominating the kitchen... but the kettle is important to quality of life, though a saucepan on the stove will do if need be.

The quote refers to money being an active agent and it sounds like humanity has given it *extreme power* by creating a type of elemental. Money could be a demi-god. In that case, the kettle may kill you in the kitchen. I still need to ponder over this a bit more.

Hello chegg, thankyou for bringing the topic up for discussion.

xxx

Edited by chegg

There are a lot of thoughts and beliefs around money which you want to not become dominated by, so I guess the more money you have the stronger those thoughts and beliefs might get activated, so as long as you have awareness and consciousness around it then it should be ok with becoming rich. The problem with most people they have very little concsciousness or awareness.

One principle which is still very strong in Islam but was eradicated by the Templars in Christianity is the issue around debt and interest, because if you are hoarding anything and taking more than you are due then that is breaking a spiritual principle that energy should flow and not stagnate in one place. This was supposedly one of the keys of power the Templars learned off the Jews at the Temple of Solomon which meant they could funnel wealth and power into their hands, but both the Templars and Jews had their own catastrophe which may or may not be related, its touchy ground to talk about.

So I think if you are making lots of money and allowing it to flow and giving it to charities and funding other projects then you are staying in harmony and it won't be harmful, but if you are hoarding it and getting others in your debt just to make profit for profits sake then it may have a negative consequence.

• Like 1

Money (wealth, power, whatever) in and of itself is not "a problem" but the love of money is -- for both the holder and the wishful...

• Like 2

Thankyou for all the posts. The reason I brought all this up is because I bought a Lottery ticket yesterday and I wasnt sure if I wanted to win the 20 Million first division prize. I might turn into some wierd a##hole.

Brian mentioned the love of money is the problem. I agree. The love of any worldy possessions are a problem I guess.

Jetsun brought up the good point about awareness and consciousness around it. If you are aware of the consequenses of what you are doing, then you could avoid the pitfalls. On the other side of this coin, I've been given awareness of the consequences of my actions many many times but couldnt for the life of me, avoid making adverse decisions - perhaps my spirit was trying to teach me something ? Pre-destiny ?

The idea of "flow" is the best. If you let divine will dictate your actions then you cant go wrong.

But I think I've found the problem, divine will does not want me to have crap-loads of cash for free but it cant stop me from acquiring it. And if I acquire it, there may be even bigger problems around the corner.

Its like if divine will says "dont punch that guy in the head it is not good for you". But you punch him in the head anyway and it feels good. But later, he brings his mates around and you get seven punches to your head. So you need awarenss of the consequenses of your actions.

Obtaining exhorbitant amounts of money by willing it and going against the flow might get you many punches in the head.

And finally cat,

I dont know about this. Is the karma inherent in the substance of money being at one's disposal,(because of the power of mammon) or is the karma inherent in an attitude that comes with knowledge of that substance? Just by having the money there one is vulnerable to the prey of mannon. Perhaps one is not able to have money because it binds one to the material. Surely the key is in doing good with resources and not being covetous over them?

If you walk down the street in the ghettos of mexico with 10 mill of cash, gold and jewellery hanging off you and say to yourself "i remain detatched, I remain detatched, I will use this for good, I will use this for good". Wont help your survival expectancy. This is an extreme example. I'd say just by having money leaves you subject to uncontrollable forces. In our cases, it would be more like distant relatives who hav'nt spoken to us for twenty years, contacting us and asking for a slice of the pie, close relatives would hassle and cajole you always asking for some money, kids stabbing their parents to death for the inheritance, getting robbed, mugged and annoyed with others' greedy schemes....... all trying to take your instantly found fortune. ITS WAR !!!!

Now I realise why rich people in most cases, only hang around other rich people.......no karma.

AND

Oh.. a demi god. Need to know more about what a demi god can or cant do. If my kettle could kill me, well, I need to make it quite clear to said kettle that there is no benefit to be had in doing so.h.. a demi god. Need to know more about what a demi god can or cant do. If my kettle could kill me, well, I need to make it quite clear to said kettle that there is no benefit to be had in doing so.

You can charge any object with spiritual force (by your intent), so yes, the kettle and the saucpan can become your enemy. Money can possess you and lead you to death in the same way if you're not carefull.

Oh dear, its just too complicated TO HAVE CRAP-LOADS OF MONEY !!!!

Edited by chegg

I have heard that when people win a lot of money from something like the lottery often friends and family turn on you if they need something or they feel you owe them something or are jealous. You get bombarded with letters and calls from all sorts of people asking for help and distant relatives and old friends emerge from the woodwork being all chummy to you, which makes it difficult to know who to trust and who is really on your side and a genuine friend. Money is essentially a root chakra issue which means its all about survival so for many people who have issues there or a weak root it its more important than morality, friendship, integrity etc and would sell their mothers soul to get it because it is perceived that they need to get it or die. So if you do win the lottery keep it secret and don't act flash or you will most likely pull those with a weak root into your life.

• Like 3

It turns out that I did not win the lottery :(

But I have a home with beautiful children, a garden, and the perfect wife. :D

”A home with children at play, a good garden, and a good woman, are worth more than all the theories of the spiritualist schools of the world put together."

- Samael Aun Weor

Edited by chegg
  • Like 3

Envy perhaps?

Marblehead, I dont understand the context of your question, care to elaborate ?

Edited by chegg

That was a thought that came to my mind linking Jetsun's post to your following post.

If you win a lot of money people will envy you. If you have what they see as a perfect life they will envy you.

I know that this has gone off topic from your opening post but there are associations.

Cat's post #2 spoke very well to your opening post/question. Having 'enough' money allows one more freedom; having a perfect family life will do this too. But both can cause others to envy you and bring problems into your life. These problems brought into your life will distract you from your spiritual path.

Keep your happiness and money well hidden.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

Thanks Marblehead.

I agree with you. Going public with stuff like happiness & lots of money would cause envy. Just the mere thoughts of those other envious people are very real (as we all know) and would cause all sorts of psychological distractions.

How would you keep a $20 million lottery win a secret ? You would need to spend it at some time (that is the whole point). In a family situation it would be difficult if not impossible.

Just imagine what people would say if you started spending and bought stuff which is different from your ordinary purchases, "Hey Marblehead, where did you get that ferrari, those alligator skinned boots and and those 20 gold chains hanging around your neck ?" ;-)

Edited by chegg

Hehehe. I can't even imagine Marblehead with gold chains around his neck.

I think that winning a large amout of money like $20 million would require a location move (and a lifestyle move).

You leave your old home and appear in a new location in your current wealthy condition.

I don't play lottery so I can't win anything like that but if I did I would have to set up a trust to support my favorite charities as I would not want to move. And maybe give some to certain members of my family.

I've hung around rich and poor people too and it does feel a bit wierd ...kind of 'touchy' like you said Cat.

The movie "Richie Rich" is on TV as I write this (coincidently:-). That kid has some serious karmic problems.....like being killed for his wealth !

I figure that the only way around the problem of hiding a recently won fortune is to spend it as soon as you get it. That way, when your mother-in-law says, "where's my share of the 20 million you stingy, low-life, good-for-nothing son-in-law ?"

Your reply is...."Sorry luv, I have just spent the lot". That would be a good karmic show-stopper.

Edited by chegg

Perchik: Money is the world's curse.

Tevye: May the Lord smite me with it. And may I never recover.

(Fiddler on the Roof)

• Like 1

Quotes and more quotes.......

"If man has an apartment stacked with newspapers, we call him crazy. If a woman has a house full of cats, we call her nuts. But when people pathologically hoard so much cash that they impoverish the nation, we stick'em on the front of a magazine and pretend they are role models"

- B. Lester

'Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction."

"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."

"But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness."
(Timothy 6:9 6:10 6:11)

"Mammon is a term, derived from the Christian Bible, used to describe material wealth or greed, most often personified as a deity, and sometimes included in the seven princes of Hell."

(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammon)

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

“No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.
"

(Matthew 6:19-21,24)

"Money is not something that is morally neutral, a resource to be used in good or bad ways depending solely upon our attitude toward it. Mammon is a power that seeks to dominate us."

"Behind money are invisible spiritual powers, powers that are seductive and deceptive, powers that demand an all-embracing devotion."

"… behind money are very real spiritual forces that energize it and give it a life of its own. Hence, money is an active agent; it is a law unto itself; and it is capable of inspiriting devotion."

"For Christ money is an idolatry we must be converted from in order to be converted to him."

"That is why so much of Jesus’ teaching regarding wealth is evangelistic in character. He calls people to turn away from the mammon god in order to worth the one true God."

"The call of God is upon us to use money within the confines of a properly disciplined spiritual life and to manage money for the good of all humanity and for the glory of God. And when this is done we are drawn deeper into the divine Center. We stand amazed that God would use our meager efforts to do his work upon the earth. . . Money is a blessing when it is used within the context of the life and power of God."

(source: www.moneyhelpforchristians.com/money-good-or-bad/ [2])

Materialism in the outer world has its counterpart in nervous conditions and to the extent to which striving after material things prevails, to that extent will human beings ruin their nerves still further. Baron Rothschild who has just died in Vienna, was a typical example or this. He left 20 millions for the endowment of an institute for those suffering from nervous diseases. A sick man himself, he accumulated this sum in the course of his life. He entered this life with ruined nerves and passed out of it in the same condition. The chasing and hurrying and thinking merely of material things is connected, irrevocably, with ruination and destruction of the nervous system. The 20 millions were to be devoted to the care of neurasthenics — the sign of the ruination of the nervous system. The occultist knows of this deep relationship between the Spiritual and outer physical life, but people in general and, above all, modern doctors, have no such knowledge. Nevertheless we know that, in time, the truth will come to light. If we do not want this materialistic mentality to ruin the physical constitution too, then we must begin again to lay hold of the spiritual life.

Who betrayed the Christ? He who had the 30 pieces of silver, he who is the representative of material possessions. At the beginning of the Christian era, the Divine Spirit descended. The Christ came to heal this vale of Earth and those who do not think that they themselves are called upon to assist in bringing a different age to birth, violate their deepest responsibility. For 2000 years man had to be educated. Judas of Kariot was destined to bring the sacrifice, to deliver up the Christ to the material forces of existence, Because humanity followed the 30 pieces of silver, Christ vanished — passed away to the astral plane. The task of Christianity through 2000 years is pictured in the betrayal by Judas. But a different task stands before Christianity to-day. We have only to place ourselves again at the portals through which resound the words spoken at that time to the Apostles.

(source: http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/OnJohn_index.html)

Edited by chegg

imagine winning 115 million euro on a 2 euro lottery ticket.

that's exactly what one lucky punter won a few years ago in the same city where i used to reside and work.

she used to be a cleaner who mopped floors in hospitals and shopping malls.

she went to her local store on that fateful evening to buy groceries, and decided to chance her luck with a lottery ticket.

there was a small queue at the check-out.

as she joined the line, an elderly chap, who was also waiting to buy a lotto ticket, did the gentlemanly thing and offered her to step in front of him saying that he was in no hurry, but really, he might have been thinking that by doing a good turn, lady luck might reward his gallant effort.

that simple twist (of fate) of moving ahead of this poor chap made all the difference in the world for both of them.

as far as i know, she did not even try to locate her benefactor to see if he could do with some small reward or maybe a Ferrari or something like that.

her son bought himself one though. it was red.

typical.

• Like 2

Money is a tool- a powerful one; double edged too. With knowledge and discipline it can be a great one, providing greater opportunities, freedom and security.

I once wrote:

Ode to money; the lubricant of barter, the measuring stick of perceived value. We create it, name it & play with it. A useful idea, worthy servant and poor master. It Is because we think it Is. And if you don't, I have a nice P.O Box in Brooklyn for you to send it to.

Even Einstein had problems with money. In 1904 working as a patent clerk he met my great great uncle, Manny the accountant who explained it to him. Using language Einstein would understand Manny wrote this:
M = E C^2. Which translates into Money equals Energy times Consumption Now and Future.

You see how energy is at the heart of money? And what is energy? The potential for work. In humans terms Energy makes our lives better and more enjoyable. Flip the equation and we see E= M/C^2. Present and future consumption divides our M and cuts our Energy.

Equations must be balanced and choices made. Still one can break out of the zero sum game through leverage. Creativity, creating new resources or combining old ones in new ways allow more work done with the same effort. This is how the wise tap the source of money.

• Like 2

IT'S OKAY TO MAKE A LOT Of MONEY IN YOUR BUSINESS

Yes, you owe it to yourself, your spouse, your children, your business associates, your employees... indeed, you owe it to society, to be as financially successful as possible. So don't feel guilty because you're successful. Don't laugh; more entrepreneurs than you might think have deep-seated beliefs that it is wrong to make a lot of money and be successful. Take a look at yourself. The only reason you aren't doing more is because you have met your current level of expectation. Of course you can go higher; we all can. So make a decision right now to be as happy and successful as you possibly can. Do you believe that? Are you getting the sense that you are society's greatest treasure because you are one of those who builds wealth? (The Marketing Wizards)

• Like 1

Re: winning millions, The message I got back from the other side was......

"You will die screaming"

Yikes ! :o

Edited by chegg

double post .  mostly

For the very spiritual, money beyond needs, is a distraction, as are material goods. 

At some point we can become it's possession. 

unless your Batman.

confession, i just bought a titanium Wayne tech watch.  https://www.undone.com/en/watch-detail/undone-batman-knight

Thus my values are suspect.

Edited by thelerner

An important underlying principle worth discussing is that of "Wielding Power". Power comes in many forms, whether it be money, weapons, technology and knowledge. Wielding Power is a skill....if you have lots of power thrust upon you without due preparation....this can cause problems. 

Edited by RiverSnake
  • Like 1

I volunteer to be the bunny in this experiment  .... everyone  send me heaps of money , then I will tell you how it has effected my spirituality .

Surprising that I never saw the original post. It's a good question.

It depends on the individual. If you are on an animal-survival path (a downward spiral, so to speak) then money will amplify your imbalances and accelerate your downward progress. If you are on the path of individuation, then wealth will likely diminish your survival needs and aid in focusing on positive traits. Both are positive outcomes.

For me, acquisition of large sums of money was a key contributor to my escape velocity. To put it differently, money is fairly irrelevant in my life. It frees up time and offers me more options to aid others. Beyond that, not much use. You can't take it with you.

This will be an unpopular viewpoint but my experience has been that advanced individuals are often wealthy. Why inconvenience yourself unnecessarily if you have the power to alter reality in your favor?

• Like 1