RongzomFan

Longchenpa on the Avatars of Vishnu

Obviously Vishnu pops up all the time in Buddhist texts as I documented previously, but even the avatars of Vishnu are part of Buddhism

Read "Religion, Medicine and the Human Embryo in Tibet"

In this context they are used for the gestational cycle, but still its there.

Edited by RongzomFan

I've read somewhere that Gautama Buddha is sometimes considered an avatar of Vishnu. However, as I perceive it, buddhism is more of working on yourself, instead of worshiping deities like in hinduism.

I've read somewhere that Gautama Buddha is sometimes considered an avatar of Vishnu. However, as I perceive it, buddhism is more of working on yourself, instead of worshiping deities like in hinduism.

When the Indian royalty switched from worshipping Buddha to worshipping Vishnu and Shiva, Buddha became an avatar of Vishnu.

See reference:

http://books.google.com/books?id=RvuDlhpvvHwC&pg=PA12&dq=Buddhist+Vishnu+before+the+eighth+century,+the+Buddha+was+accorded&hl=en&sa=X&ei=41IpUeT_B7G80QHSkoEY&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Buddhist%20Vishnu%20before%20the%20eighth%20century%2C%20the%20Buddha%20was%20accorded&f=false

Edited by RongzomFan
  • Like 1

What's the counterpart of Krishna in buddhism?

I know that there was at least a tantric version... I know of the Krishna Yamari

What's the counterpart of Krishna in buddhism?

I know that there was at least a tantric version... I know of the Krishna Yamari

Krishna just means dark.

Krishna doesn't always refer to the Hindu god Krishna.

I don't think Krishna Yamari has anything to do with god Krishna.

Sometimes, it's not very clear how two different deities are considered manifestation of the same being: think about Chenrezig and Mahakala....

Sometimes, it's not very clear how two different deities are considered manifestation of the same being: think about Chenrezig and Mahakala....

There is a peaceful and then a wrathful manifestation of the same Buddha.

There is a peaceful and then a wrathful manifestation of the same Buddha.

yes, but the actual link is just a myth/story. Apart from that, it's hard to find connections.

The same goes with Krishna and his alter-egos

Edited by DAO rain TAO

So that's how it is. I admit, I don't know to much about Krishna, although I do know a few people that worship him.

Interesting book. Oddly enough, it's about this time that the Buddhist tantras are said to have been 'created'. I personally believe that they have far older roots but scholars trace their emergence in texts etc. to that approximate period, so some kind of dynamic was evidently at work.