Sign in to follow this  
daojones

Herbs for Concentration

I'm having a lot of trouble concentrating lately, but I have a lot of work that I need to do. I understand the underlying reasons why I can't concentrate and am working on allowing that energy to manifest/resolve, but in the meantime I need to get stuff done. Was wondering if anyone could recommend herbs for doing this.

You could try herbs and diet for "vata dosha". Any kind of root (grows in the earth, which is the opposite of the qualities of air and space/vata) that has sweet, sour, or salty qualities could possibly be good. Like acorn squash or yam cooked up with some salted butter, is a good example I think. Also, massaging the body with warmed sesame oil before bathing will help pacify vata dosha.

Another consideration is that the soul has trouble connecting with the body and mind when there are liver problems (I recall you saying liver qi stagnation has been an ongoing issue), so it subtly rises out of the head and causes lack of concentration, lack of control of the senses, emotional disturbance, etc. This liver issue may actually be related to any of the other organs not functioning in harmony, and not just the liver qi or meridian...for instance, if the kidney yin and yang aren't balanced, the liver will have problems. Or the spleen can be not working properly and throwing the liver out of whack as well. When the liver has problems, then the shen of the heart becomes disturbed (lack of concentration), etc. Basically, I would keep working with the Chinese medicine path and trying to achieve balance. If one practitioner isn't achieving results, try another for a while.

Just taking an herb that's designated for improved concentration may throw you even more out of balance (especially if you were to take 5 hour energy or something). It's important to get properly diagnosed according to traditional medicine. Tonics probably aren't a good idea unless it's needed for what your signs and symptoms reveal.

If you do concentration meditation practices, it'd be good to do ones that focus on scents and tastes. Those are water and earth element, which will bring balance to the overactive air and space elements. Just slow down when having your meals, and pay attention to how it tastes and smells...meditation while eating. Stillness-movement is also a great practice for this issue.

• Like 1

These are my favorite herbs for focus.

Schizandra
Rhodiola Rosea
Ginseng
Green Tea Extract
Coffee

This is my favorite supplements for focus.

Acetyl Carnitine

I have tried all the racetams and I feel they are a mixed bag. Your mileage may vary.

If I was going to say what has enhanced my focus more than anything it has been Ashtanga yoga, Vipassana meditation, and 8-9 hours of restful sleep, no gluten, low carbs, and a reckless amount of fruits and vegetables in my diet. The herbs/supplements will only amplify these practices imo, if you are eating and sleeping badly, not exercising or meditating, the herbs are a waste of money.

Oh and retention :)

• Like 2

Sage tea is good too (green cooking sage, not smudging sage which is toxic to ingest). I knew it was good for concentration.. with what Turtle Shell says above, maybe I see why now, as it's also very good for the liver.

Gotu kola, centella asiatica, Bacopa monnieri, Ginkgo biloba (Brahmi).

Hemp seed oil.

'Rosemary for rememberance'

Periferal vasodilating herbs to increase blood flow.

Lots of info out there on cognitive enhancements.

Best see a herbalist.

SLEEP !

These are my favorite herbs for focus.

Schizandra

Rhodiola Rosea

Ginseng

Green Tea Extract

Coffee

This is my favorite supplements for focus.

Acetyl Carnitine

I have tried all the racetams and I feel they are a mixed bag. Your mileage may vary.

If I was going to say what has enhanced my focus more than anything it has been Ashtanga yoga, Vipassana meditation, and 8-9 hours of restful sleep, no gluten, low carbs, and a reckless amount of fruits and vegetables in my diet. The herbs/supplements will only amplify these practices imo, if you are eating and sleeping badly, not exercising or meditating, the herbs are a waste of money.

Oh and retention :)

Thumbs up for Rhodiola Rosea. Makes sure you get the good quality one. I am taking it. Experienced no side effects. The first few weeks the body needs to get used to the herb. Many people would experience, initially, insomnia, overly active sex drives, and increase in blood pressure (the feeling like your blood is pumping through all over your body). For me, it tends to allow me to harness my chi better.

I don't know much about herbs, so I can't recommend you any.

I can suggest getting a copy of The Attention Revolution by Alan Wallace, it's a brilliant guide to shamatha, which is IMHO a vital aspect of cultivation, you need an extremely stable mind to get serious progress.

Also avoid multitasking, be more focused all the time. Any willpower exercise helps, especially moderate retention.

Sign in to follow this