Sign in to follow this  
PimonratC

Mom... Octopus are animals

That young child is THE example of how incorrupt, beautiful, AWEsome and how truly intelligent children are until we as adults start shoving our own junk into their heads.

• Like 2

Nah, "does it have a head" reveals that the kid was exposed to a certain brand of brainwashing already. (A cabbage has a head too. And is alive until picked and eaten. So?..)

Anyone who had kids who were picky about their food would recognize immediately what the boy was really doing.

This is not a video of a cute smart pet endowed with speech, contrary to what people who watch it the way they watch kittens and puppies on youtube may have perceived. This is a human child. He is using his brain. He is using it toward his goal -- to wit, finding a way to bail out of a meal he doesn't feel like eating. You don't see him all over those rice and potatoes offered as the alternative, do you? If he was hungry, and opposed to eating "animals," he'd eat the rice and potatoes. Problem is, mom's schedule says "dinner time" and son's senses say "not hungry." He's been round this block before -- hundreds of times. He learned. There's no bailing out of a meal by appealing to his senses which mom can't relate to. He has to use his brain. I know the deal, this is how I got smart too -- figuring out by trial and error how to bail out of an unwanted meal in a manner that the adults will accept. He found his. Kudos.

But no kudos to mom for predicating her acceptance of her son on his responsiveness to her agenda. The subtle message he gets from her is, "if you are this way, I will love you. Be a certain way to deserve my love. Be the way I program you to be, that's how you go about deserving my love." Subtly deforming... Ubiquitous.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1

I was pretty much like this kid at his age and I'd never heard of vegetarianism. Yes he is a picky eater, as for programmed, possibly yes but maybe not.

Well, I was the opposite -- I wanted nothing but meat (very little was enough at that -- the portion in front of the kid in the video is positively scary, I would lose my appetite from just one look at this mountain I would be expected to move -- and as unprocessed as possible... prepare something the nutritionally crazy way like that octopus, i.e. with a starchy crust on top of the lean protein, toward an unresolvable digestive conflict, and all my instincts would scream, "nooooooo!") Never wanted any grains products, legumes, root vegetables, dairy, or sweets. In fact it was ongoing torture to have to eat these. But I was quite, quite pure and innocent none the less -- as are the poorest South American kids I've seen devour meat with bliss-lit eyes, or Innuit kids in the tundra or Mongolian kids of the herders who have not much else available for much of the year.

The children here are having First World Problems with their diets...

Edited by Taomeow

So you were a picky kid as well? I'm thinking we are born with a certain sense of what's good for us at a certain time and it's not the same for all of us.

There were alot of vegetables and grains as well as certain fruit I didn't want to eat either as a kid but yeah in the end I had to eat what was available liked it or not.

Well, I believe some are born with good instincts but many are born already conditioned away from them. E.g., they found that pregnant rats who were fed sugar water during pregnancy give birth to sugar-addicted ratlings.

So it's not always a sign of healthy instincts if a "civilized" child is after certain foods and dislikes certain other foods, it could be any number of things instead. But for a child conceived, carried to term, and born under more natural nutritional circumstances, this would probably be the case. And then individual "what's good for me personally" patterns would play out-- provided that's available.

I believe that I had instincts right on as a kid because later I did extensive nutritional research (investing many years) and it confirmed that I was spot on. It's not just preferring proteins to carbs, vitamin-rich veggies to depleted ones -- it's also the pattern of eating and the amount of food consumed. It is now an established scientific fact (FWIW) that the only method to prolong life that's been proven experimentally and worked every time in every mammalian species is a low-calorie diet in childhood. (Does not prolong life if started by a grown-up, only if it took place during childhood years). Animals underfed in childhood (but offered quality food, not junk) grow up to be smaller and leaner than the controls but live, in the case of some species, twice as long, and are much healthier for a lifetime.

So, what I always wanted, and was never allowed to do, was to eat very very little. At one point, when I was 5, my dad allowed me to have my next meal when I ask for it, and I wasn't going to ask for it yet three days later (sponaneous fasting instinct!..) -- those were the happiest three days of my childhood. My dad didn't trust my instincts enough to wait any longer till I ask for food, and at the end of the third day canceled the deal and enforced a meal. What sweetened the disappointment for me was the fact that he did get me a shish kabob, medium rare. If it was macaroni and cheese instead, it would have broken my heart. :)

So it's not always a sign of healthy instincts if a "civilized" child is after certain foods and dislikes certain other foods, it could be any number of things instead. But for a child conceived, carried to term, and born under more natural nutritional circumstances, this would probably be the case. And then individual "what's good for me personally" patterns would play out-- provided that's available.

Fair point. Luckily we didn't have the diet back then here as most people have now. It was rye bread, potatoes, meat, greens, fish, fruit, wheat porridge... Very rarely did we have macaroni or such. Everything got screwed up when I was in my teens when microwaves landed here big time, hamburgers, candy and such started being everywhere like other western countries but not as bad as it's today. I think kid's today aren't given a fair chance with candy and added sugar everywhere. They will have their work cut out for them.

I believe that I had instincts right on as a kid because later I did extensive nutritional research (investing many years) and it confirmed that I was spot on.

There are plenty of diets out there and conflicting research that 'proves' them and people who go on diets that seem wrong but seem to get good results. I would be a bit careful about scientific fact in the diet field. It's not like it's close to hard science.

Edited by xor

You must come from not too far from where I come from. :)

As for my research, "studies" have been very marginal to my pursuits -- I researched traditional diets, globally and historically. Pre- industrialization of food supply, pre- big agrobiz, pre-Monsanto is where it's at. Not the fads, not the trends, not the ideology-driven, profit-driven, or misanthropy-driven foodstuff.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1

Something you can always observe in children (I say that having seen it with our own daughter and all her friends, and having discussed it with many parents and Kindergarten ladies) is that they separate their food groups. In German it's called 'Trenncost' (meaning, 'Separated food groups', haha) and you can buy books on it. It's a fad diet that people swear by, but kids do it automatically. They don't want protein mixed with carbohydrate. They really don't want that gravy on their rice, or the peas to touch the pork chop. They aren't being picky or difficult; they're following their nature.

I think it's quite likely that their instincts are correct.

To my own damn credit, I tried like hell to allow our daughter to make her own food choices (the choice we made was what to buy, but she could say what she wanted and how she wanted it, to pretty large extent) but real-life in the form of the mother-in-law and every other 'normal' person wins out over time and now the kid is 13 and eats like everyone else. But she's still healthy :)

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 2

In German it's called 'Trenncost' (meaning, 'Separated food groups', haha) and you can buy books on it. It's a fad diet that people swear by, but kids do it automatically. They don't want protein mixed with carbohydrate. They really don't want that gravy on their rice, or the peas to touch the pork chop. They aren't being picky or difficult; they're following their nature.

That's something my instincts always told me to do. Didn't know it had a name, interesting. :)

Found this in English when I searched web for trenncost... guess it's called separation diet?

http://www.colonhealthinfo.com/diet/separation_diet.htm

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this