rex

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words ...

... as the saying goes.

How about a thread for just posting images that express and suggest?

Here's one:

tumblr_morghsQ1Te1s7dwyno1_500.jpg

• Like 5

haha such an apt pic! what were you searching for (inside that mind!) when you found this, i am wondering...

haha such an apt pic! what were you searching for (inside that mind!) when you found this, i am wondering...

Just checking out the eye candy on tumblr sites : )

coloured-neijing-tu1.jpg

Edit: Even thought there might be a thousand words in Chinese on this. But if you can't read them, it's just a picture.

Edited by hod
  • Like 3

Oh, come on. Every taoist can read the neijing tu regardless of whether she can read Chinese. :D

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1

magritte-la-trahison-des-images.jpg

(Translation: This is not a pipe.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: Personal Values

personal-values-1952(1).jpg

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1

taiji.jpg

Hey! That's my wallpaper. :)

EDIT: Actually, not quite -- exact same image but mine is inverted:

post-54451-0-78586000-1382127325_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brian

Accidentally or alchemically? :)

Not sure but it caused me pause. I had searched the web for taichi wallpaper and tried several. They are all different sizes, shapes, colors, orientations, etc., with a multitude of flames or dragons or warriors, etc. Chose something fairly simple and soothing but now I'm wondering why I picked that one...

Who has a thousand words for this one? I'm interested in its meaning.

This is the Sumerian god Marduk. A complete picture that I didn't find the first time includes a bucket in his left hand, from which a liquid substance is sprinkled by means of the pine cone. This is a traditional Mesopotamian art theme. Marduk is sometimes depicted as a winged human and sometimes as a dragon. The pine cone and the bucket are also used by Geniuses (or genii), semi-divine beings (angels, demons, alien geneticists?..) who are sometimes portrayed as humans with some insignia of partial divinity, sometimes as humans with animal heads (birds, most often), and more often than not winged. Invariably the details are intricate and every part of the depiction is meaningful, but what is meant can't be pinned down without delving into many, many thousands of words -- if then. However, here's a trail for you, but it goes in many directions from any point, so choosing just one is likely to lead to a dead end. I have been going there and back exploring these trails, and still am. :)

annunaki200po.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure but it caused me pause. I had searched the web for taichi wallpaper and tried several. They are all different sizes, shapes, colors, orientations, etc., with a multitude of flames or dragons or warriors, etc. Chose something fairly simple and soothing but now I'm wondering why I picked that one...

There's usually two reasons the taijitu is inverted: the common one (people ignore the direction of yang and yin, heaven above earth below, so to speak) and the orientation of the image which signifies it (yang ascends, yin descends). And the uncommon one (people reverse the direction in alchemical pursuits, placing yang under yin, fire under water, etc.) So you may have chosen the inverted one either because you didn't faze in the fact that the orientation is part of the symbology, or intuitively chose the alchemical orientation. :)

Here's the shield pattern of the Western Roman infantry unit armigeri defensores seniores (ca. AD 430), the earliest known classical yin yang image (though of course there's earlier versions that are MUCH earlier.)

150px-Armigeri_defensores_seniores_shiel

• Like 1

There's usually two reasons the taijitu is inverted: the common one (people ignore the direction of yang and yin, heaven above earth below, so to speak) and the orientation of the image which signifies it (yang ascends, yin descends). And the uncommon one (people reverse the direction in alchemical pursuits, placing yang under yin, fire under water, etc.) So you may have chosen the inverted one either because you didn't faze in the fact that the orientation is part of the symbology, or intuitively chose the alchemical orientation. :)

Here's the shield pattern of the Western Roman infantry unit armigeri defensores seniores (ca. AD 430), the earliest known classical yin yang image (though of course there's earlier versions that are MUCH earlier.)

150px-Armigeri_defensores_seniores_shiel

I'm afraid I simply didn't pay enough attention to the symbology. :( I had an intellectual ken but not an intuitive one.