Unlearner

Curiosity in a Taoist perspective

This is something I've been wondering for a while, but I can't seem to figure it out myself, so I'm just going to go ahead and ask: how is the quality of curiosity viewed from the perspective of a Taoist? On one hand, it seems to me that it would be considered not necessarily bad, but frivolous and unnecessary, but there's still a small part of me that feels that curiosity is a good quality to have.

This is an open-ended question, I don't really have a particular answer I'm looking to defend or support, I'm just interested to see what other people have to say on the matter.

I don't pretend to be a Taoist authority (whatever that would be) but I would think disinterested curiosity to be particularly helpful. That is to say, being an amused observer rather than getting wrapped up in it.

I'd say it's definitely a good quality to have, but that it shouldn't control you. For example, you should still be able to "turn the light around" and nurture the center, not be always and only looking about externally, if you want to stay connected to/conscious of Dao.

I think that anyone with even the remotest interest in spirituality is manifesting curiosity.

It's the nature of the path...

The questioning is much more important than answers.

And in the end, it is all Great Mystery, which is the Yang to the Yin of curiosity.