Nungali

Like weapons?

Who likes, trains with or makes weapons?

What do you like about them? What advantages do you see of some over others?

What benefit do you see them bringing to your practice?

That's it?

Come on guys ... I'll start then (That sword reminds me of those giant sized Katanas! ) But briefly (who knows, maybe I am talking to myself ... there must be some weapon buffs out there ??? )

MIne:(Okinawan Kobudo tradition; Bokkan, Bo, Jo, Sai, Kama, Eco. Aikido tradition; Bokkan, Jo, Tanto. Mad untutored work-it-out- yourself-with-your-fellow-students-when-teacher-not-around tradition; Nunchuks, Tonfa, Yari and whatever that spike on the twirly string thing is.

Likes ; Eco - like a bo and similar usage but extra advantage of 'shuto' 'blade' at one end. Jo - versatile . Bokkan for the 'Zen' of it all.

Twirly thing ... phew ... what an art! Well, about 5 arts in one ( twirling, shortening the arc on the body and accurately flinging the thing ... return / rebound and body position to avoid yet capture and back to defence / attack without leaving a hole ... if you DO manage to strike and entangle , dealing with that ... the fact that any entangled opponent usually just rushes you with their weapon (no it doesn't work like it does in a Ninja movie as a tug-o-war) regardless that your bit of cord is around it.... the whole jutsu of dealing with an armed attacker using the remaining cord in your hands as a defensive weapon ... and at the same time the jutsu of tying them up with it in a flash - like face down with both arms and a leg tied up the back and the other end of the rope around the throat (apparently Japanese Cops were experts at this until the introduction of handcuffs in the 1950's) ... now THAT is an art!

Unlikes; Nunchuks ...silly ... sillier if you don't know how to use them.

Favourite; all of them but twirly thing was best fun - I made my own as no one had one, carved rubber point for practice with foam rubber around it and tape ... fun part ... buddies hopping around rubbing body parts going "Hey! That thing still hurts ya know! " :)

Benefiets, varing distances ... relationship ... timing ...

Collectors here? Not me, but have a friend who collects weapons, armour, small ornamental parts of weapons and armour (some absolutely beautiful, inlayed with metals and stones and enamel) - he recently got old trad Japanese armour ... so small ! It has old blood stain on the belt !

• Like 2

i like cleavers.

japanese ones are the best.

some of them are really exquisitely made, with as much attention to detail put into them as the katanas.

they are awesomely versatile, and legal to carry around if one is a chef.

• Like 2

I'm a Jo (wooden staff) guy :), as my sensei said, never needs sharpening, never runs out of bullets. Weapon training sharpens the attention. Cause they're dangerous and require the utmost respect.

I've collected Bokken, donated some of the nicer pieces to my old dojo.

• Like 2

i like cleavers.

japanese ones are the best.

some of them are really exquisitely made, with as much attention to detail put into them as the katanas.

they are awesomely versatile, and legal to carry around if one is a chef.

Hmm ... never tried that (I am a chef too ... but not a Japanese one) I have adapted twin machetties from what I learnt from sai and kama (rice harvesting sickles) ... I think Capoera has a machette form?

I notice one on a cooking tv show last week ... beautiful tool .... layer upon layer of flowing metal patterns in the 'blade'.

A few martial arts have machete forms :). I looked it up after I saw nearly everyone in haiti walking around with a machete on their belt!

I have a couple of crescent "deer hook" bagua "knives" that I like quite a bit. Well that and my giant sword :>. Now just to learn how to use them. I also have an antique chinese sword that I bought about 20 years ago at the flea market, beautiful scabbard made out of silver and agates. Some hand forged daggers and a small sword too.

My love of weapons doesn't go that deep though, just sums up to they are awesome, and make martial arts that much more awesome and interesting :).

• Like 1

I'm a Jo (wooden staff) guy :), as my sensei said, never needs sharpening, never runs out of bullets. Weapon training sharpens the attention. Cause they're dangerous and require the utmost respect.

I've collected Bokken, donated some of the nicer pieces to my old dojo.

[Oh God ... I keep hitting the don't like instead of the reply ... If I keep that up I will have to 'knock' the finger with my bokken :angry: ]

Ahhh ! Now they are coming out of the woodwork!

Jo was so unusual to me at the beginning but I came to love it ... especially practising the 20 shubari (sic?) but against specific sword (or 2 sword) attacks.

No, no sharpening or bullets but it does need sanding and oiling ... unless you actually never make contact with it on another weapon.

Yes, sharpen the attention, I did clout someone once ... we weren't sharp ... live blades REALLY sharpen the attention speaking of which ... I forgot ...

3 section staff ... I got up to the part of the Chinese form where you sort of use it as a skipping rope (a downward strike with the middle section) and jump over it with a double front kick ... then the next move, the rear end came around the back and cracked me under the base of the skull ... it sits covered in dust in the back of storage now ... I made a foamy to replace it .

I like the way Bo can do leg attacks that the Jo cant (OWWW! That pool que shot on big toe joint ! hop hop )

Did you do much with bokken (we got up to 6 multi part drills - first 4 from Mr Sugarno )

Did a smidge of training with Dave Brown here ... awesome! (also awesome for his explanations of many Japanese 'empty hand' techniques ie. they were developed in consideration of the fact that you ARE carrying a sword , or are about to or in the process of drawing it ... or a tanto . VERY illuminating instruction! )

"deer hook" bagua "knives"

A few martial arts have machete forms :). I looked it up after I saw nearly everyone in haiti walking around with a machete on their belt!

I have a couple of crescent "deer hook" bagua "knives" that I like quite a bit. Well that and my giant sword :>. Now just to learn how to use them. I also have an antique chinese sword that I bought about 20 years ago at the flea market, beautiful scabbard made out of silver and agates. Some hand forged daggers and a small sword too.

My love of weapons doesn't go that deep though, just sums up to they are awesome, and make martial arts that much more awesome and interesting :).

WACK! Oww to finger!

I was able to have machete as it was in bamboo fencing tool kit ;) . But I prefer NOT to have them 'handy' - wood is less messy, not as much 'splashback' :D (Aboriginal elder friend has good technique when he has to put on the 'tribal policeman' hat ... bundi {small club 'punishment wacker'} in one hand, machete in the other ... you break law , be a man and take the hit ... you want to get smart about it, I have a machete as well).

How about a pic of your sword ? Now I am off to google a pic of "deer hook" bagua "knives".

.... okay ...got em .. OH those ones.

maybe wear some forearm guards for a while at the 'begin to learn the form' stage ?

• Like 1

Hmm ... never tried that (I am a chef too ... but not a Japanese one) I have adapted twin machetties from what I learnt from sai and kama (rice harvesting sickles) ... I think Capoera has a machette form?

I notice one on a cooking tv show last week ... beautiful tool .... layer upon layer of flowing metal patterns in the 'blade'.

haha i was actually referring to cleavers (and generally knives) made by Japanese craftsmen, not Japanese chefs :D

check out the 'soba kiri' -- that is one heck of a weapon if you ask me.

and for something like US $1400, you can get yourself this (when in stock) -- http://www.watanabeblade.com/english/special/damascuschinesecleaver.htm

• Like 1

I'll pm my sword pics :). Hmmm, can one pm pics? I'll figure out a way...

For fun ;). A friend of mine used to run a martial arts store. These weapons are mostly for wushu forms, but still pretty neat as most are based on older actual weapons.

37289_10150207260695114_1253821_n.jpg

37289_10150207260275114_3865269_n.jpg

This guy, was by far my favorite at the event where everyone was doing the various martial arts demos. There is a local school which focuses on teaching the traditional farming implements, as weapons, as were used in that way in China.

34069_10150208693985114_1226947_n.jpg

I'll stop now before I dig out my museum photos of ancient weapons from Albania ;).

I find the draw I have to weapons is similar to the draw I have when passing an accident on the road; there is a palpable draw and interest, underlying that, is a mild to moderate repulsion for what it represents...

For me, when weapons are drawn all parties have failed.

That said:

I find the bo staff to be the most elegant of weapons and is my weapon of choice.

I am deeply amazed at the level of craftsmanship expressed in a finely made katana.

haha i was actually referring to cleavers (and generally knives) made by Japanese craftsmen, not Japanese chefs :D

ermmma ... so was I ... I was just saying I am a chef so I could carry one.

check out the 'soba kiri' -- that is one heck of a weapon if you ask me.

and for something like US $1400, you can get yourself this (when in stock) -- http://www.watanabeblade.com/english/special/damascuschinesecleaver.htm

I need that!

I'll pm my sword pics :). Hmmm, can one pm pics? I'll figure out a way...

For fun ;). A friend of mine used to run a martial arts store. These weapons are mostly for wushu forms, but still pretty neat as most are based on older actual weapons.

37289_10150207260695114_1253821_n.jpg

37289_10150207260275114_3865269_n.jpg

This guy, was by far my favorite at the event where everyone was doing the various martial arts demos. There is a local school which focuses on teaching the traditional farming implements, as weapons, as were used in that way in China.

34069_10150208693985114_1226947_n.jpg

I'll stop now before I dig out my museum photos of ancient weapons from Albania ;).

Let me at em !

Awww ... I want to see Albanian weapons ... blurred photo looks like garden hoe (but prob not) ... yep used that too, saw a deadly demo with it (stepped back out of range of blow and bought hoe blade down across attackers leading foot/toes, turned hoe sideways, and got behind ankle, lifted leg for a take down and around so other end of hoe held the attacker down face first in an arm lock.

Many of my weapons are farm implements or similar. Makes sense , got an excuse to carry them and the peasant cant afford weapons ... puts a new slant on it- in older times, imagine how used one would be to say, handling a rice harvesting sickle?

Jo = walking stick

Bo = pole across shoulders to carry water

Tonfa = well or mill handle

Nunchuks = rice flails for separating husks

kama = rice harvesting sickles

hoe= hoeing :)

eco = fisherman oar (eco or ecu has a form with eco in one hand net or float on rope in other,( I like eco in one hand and fish in net in other)

Sai ? Bokken? nah! No excuse, you're under arrest..

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

I'll see if I can dig up the old Egyptian weapons photos too then. (hey who wouldn't stop by the weapons display when at museums in various parts of the world?) :D

OOOH yeah ... hey you're paying off :)

As well as agricultural tools as weapons there is always the good 'ol Aussie thong.

• Like 1

I have over 20 swords. Several spears and staves and long poles. A pair of combat ready crescent knives. A couple of lock blades and a commando fighting knife. A three section staff, a halberd, and even a Polynesia shark tooth sword. So yeah, kind of into weapons.

My main thing is the 劍 jian/straight sword.

I like the hammer.

I took the stone hammer head (made of steel to cut stone) I have worked with for many years and put it on the end of a very good fiberglass axe handle. It breaks rock easy and with a relaxed stroke. I can chop granite blocks in half by hitting the same spot several times.

I have brought it into my martial practice with a focus on the principles and a care not to hurt my shoulders.

Despite how little I have advanced with it, I still would never want to be on the other side of it.

I have practiced throwing it too. The accuracy is exciting but then there is the downside of just having thrown your weapon away...

Handle a weapon requires Nei li(內力) which acquired from the practice of NeiKung(內功). The more Nei Li one has will help one to handle the weapon more skillfully.

I have always wanted to try this;

http://www.karateblogger.com/stari/articles/Tinbei.htm

But no teacher here. The machete form and the ‘short spear’ version; which I have heard can be spear head one end and a lump of coral club on the other end, part of the art is twirling and changing ends. - Probably a vid of it somewhere.

A few martial arts have machete forms :). I

Nunchakus can open portals like a Caduceus.

Via vortex?

I have over 20 swords. Several spears and staves and long poles. A pair of combat ready crescent knives. A couple of lock blades and a commando fighting knife. A three section staff, a halberd, and even a Polynesia shark tooth sword. So yeah, kind of into weapons.

My main thing is the 劍 jian/straight sword.

:) Yep, you like weapons. I would love to work with spear a bit, I have never done it. Long pole, never, but looks interesting.

Love the idea of shark tooth sword (I have seen them before but not used ... except in an old movie where the invaders had metal swords) , I linked above to a form with a turtle shell shield and coral club.

I am attracted to the Halberd as well, interesting in light of its position and use in field battle tactics as well.

The three section staff; not that I was much more than a blundering idiot (but tying to work with a real usage for me as opposed to 'form' or 'demo' ... stiff foamies handy for this, but not ones that bend), I found, like nunchuks, that it is best to hold on to them and not go all twirly and flashy ... I notice in demos the 'twirly flashy' (please excuse my lack of correct terms) bit is when distance is large, when an attack closes in, the technique changes . ( Yeah ... I backed off a couple of attacks that way and with full extension but partner then stuck end joint with Bo and it whipped back at me nastily).

What do you see as pros and cons of three section staff?

I like the hammer.

I took the stone hammer head (made of steel to cut stone) I have worked with for many years and put it on the end of a very good fiberglass axe handle. It breaks rock easy and with a relaxed stroke. I can chop granite blocks in half by hitting the same spot several times.

I have brought it into my martial practice with a focus on the principles and a care not to hurt my shoulders.

Despite how little I have advanced with it, I still would never want to be on the other side of it.

I have practiced throwing it too. The accuracy is exciting but then there is the downside of just having thrown your weapon away...

Ah ... there is the thing I was thinking about with Kama ... people who not only train with the weapon but use it everyday in work. They have a special way ... once I trained eco on beach at dawn (forms have a lot of scuffing sand towards opponent with the oar or feet ... even hands when down low ... form originates with fishermen from a sandy island ...so they say) , the beach Lifesavers were in the distance (who row surf large with long oars boats), they were really checking it out.

Throwing ... yes, I am very rusty with that ... knives and tomahawks (I won a bit of money from betting (on myself) tomahawk throwing actually - off a Krav Magra guy who was in the Israeli Army ... he said to me "In Israel, in Krav Magra we train martial arts with weapons too, it is always the hand gun ... sometimes sai, but that is to strengthen the wrist ... for handgun.

Throwing isn't shown in many of the forms but some do it in Sai, where you start with 3 , one in each hand and one in belt at back, at the beginning moves one is thrown and then the spare drawn. We practiced aiming at feet, nasty. Then discovered (because of its prongy springy nature) if it hits the ground at the right angle (not point) it flips up wildly towards the shins, body or face ... ummmm best not try that.

Handle a weapon requires Nei li(內力) which acquired from the practice of NeiKung(內功). The more Nei Li one has will help one to handle the weapon more skillfully.

Errrmmm ... I knew this would happen ... I have never trained in Chinese martial arts , the closest I have got is Okinawan. So I am unfamiliar.

Is this like the difference between (and again please excuse my lack of technical terms) using the weapon and doing all those things I have been talking about ... and all the other internal things that are going on (like, to divide it up; one time with sword, visiting senior says 'Forget everything I said yesterday, today it is all about timing and rythem' and the next day 'forget everything I said yesterday, today its all about relationships.' and all those exercises of holding composure in the hara, while sitting, then moving, then being attacked, then moving and defending and being attacked with weapons and still maintain composure ... and doing that while attacking with a weapon by maintaining what you learnt in sitting meditation and instruction ; breathing, extending ki, absorbing all through hara, no mind, visualising weight underside, spherical awareness, blending with opponent/ partner ? That stuff?

Ha! If it is you guys can just say; requires Nei li(內力) which acquired from the practice of NeiKung(內功).

No doubt there are things I missed ... unless I totally missed ?

• Like 1

Unusual form  !    

This thread was  blast from the past !     My first post here I think !