deci belle

Off-topic content

I am a member of a technical forum (not this one), that has developed a highly evolved and enforced concept of what off-topic means.

Simply put, off-topic posts are not tolerated. Period. It doesn't matter how passionately and sincerely you want to find out. You must address the topic appropriately or start your own thread to do so.

The point here is that until a more strict and enforced concept of what off-topic means and is continuously and earnestly cultivated into the very fabric of this organization, there will continue to be those who insist on using threads (that they themselves do not originate) for what amounts to essentially flippant comments.

Why don't people start their own threads if their comments are so important (to them)?

I am asking the moderators to start doing just that for these trolls.

Then they will get into the habit of exercising some discernment before they post.

Until the bums have no intention of uselessly commenting off-topic because they know it doesn't work, they will continue to hazard the nearest, mindlessly habitual opportunity to do so.

It's human nature.

ed note: fix penultimate line

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 1

This is a discussion board, not a one person rule over a thread board. Off topic posts are tolerated everywhere else, it seems this is more your rule than a board rule. Also insults have never been tolerated, so that area seems to be more of "the pit light". Btw, these are my personal opinions, not the opinions of any moderators.

As the tech person here, may I show you our lovely PFFs where you can moderate all you like, all day long :).

I think that you trying so hard to keep it all on topic is leading to the frustration on both ends. The insults do get pretty bad going both ways :(.

Original material is not up for discussion unless the response is ON-TOPIC, Bagua.

Now do listen to what I suggest.

You yourself do not author anything.

You have NO CONCEPT of the issues involving authoring original material.

THERE USED TO BE A CONTRIBUTED ARTICLES SECTION THAT STOOD ON ITS OWN.

Now it has no meaning. Off-topic is not necessarily dissension, note the earlier comment I reported. It is simply off-topic.

Now Celestial's post? Give me a break.

Until this board cultivates a measure of precision, there will continue to be this current state of affairs.

Its very un taoish to insist that members be assertive, and to refine their ideas into linear thoughts with titles in my opinion. I don't sit around waiting opportunistically to slip my thoughts in everywhere, but it seems according to tao to not be assertive with thoughts and ideas, but to let them arise naturally. Even if it means never getting them out to begin with.

Not to say that focus is unimportant and keeping in the same vein and flow of the conversation is not important or that craziness and disorder are taoish.

But regimenting strictly is for asserter's of linear things, people with SOMETHING to say, rather then the spontaneous self arisingness where the Tao actually is.

It seems if the Tao is going to make itself apparent in a conversation, it wont be in a controlled environment because the person speaking it would have to do so in an unintened spontaneous way.

But yes, I agree that at least bringing comments around back to the conversation is important and not interjecting anything that is completely unrelated is important.

Bagua, your last line is absolutely unfounded. I hope you will make a note to do eventually something about the person calling me a cunt on my thread, ok? For the record, that would be off-topic.

Furthermore, after writing two long posts about The tao not being taoist (nor originating because of Han culture), a wise guy posted that taoism really came from brahmic culture— how topical to my thread is that?

That is simply a flippant and untrue conditional refutation of the function of enlightening activity as being derivative of a culture.

To say so on a thread devoted to the fact that there is no ultimate cultural derivation of selfless wisdom proves that the first post I reported is off-topic.

Again, the point here is that until a more strict and enforced concept of what off-topic means and is continuously and earnestly cultivated into the very fabric of this organization, there will continue to be those who insist on using threads (that they themselves do not originate) for what amounts to essentially flippant comments.

I love that there are techs~ can't live without you, but this is a job for moderation in the technical sense. The culture of this forum is not conducive to production of deep original material.

There is a need to make changes for the benefit of all the people interested in reading the material— not just the minority of registered bums. And that is why I will not consider a ppf for reasons already explained in other posts on this subject.

You think you work pretty hard around here? What am I doing that anybody else is doing consistently and on this uncommon subject. Think about it, because you simply cannot appreciate the issues that contributors of original in-depth material are facing every time we log on to this forum because you have not experienced it yourself. So~ if you think I mind your flippant and lazy regard for the word cunt on my thread, think again, because I don't give a flying fuck if you don't, cherie.❤

ed note: add last paragraph

Edited by deci belle

I hope you will make a note to do eventually something about the person calling me a cunt on my thread, ok? For the record, that would be off-topic.

It's not just off-topic, it's vindictive; I read that post.

• Like 4

I would prefer that the rules would be tightened concerning spamming/thread derailing/off topic posting/trolling and the similar behavior.

At the moment, many threads get gang-raped all the time by ADHD 12 year olds who are neither able nor willing to stick to topic!

This situation is pretty unnerving for those people who are willing to invest work and time to create and sustain the development of meaningful and informative threads!

I really would embrace as new rule #1: PERMANENT BAN for chronic off-topic-posters & thread-derailers!

• Like 1

It's not just off-topic, it's vindictive; I read that post.

Something was done about it. I'll let a mod elaborate though.

Bagua, your last line is absolutely unfounded. I hope you will make a note to do eventually something about the person calling me a cunt on my thread, ok? For the record, that would be off-topic.

Furthermore, after writing two long posts about The tao not being taoist (nor originating because of Han culture), a wise guy posted that taoism really came from brahmic culture— how topical to my thread is that?

That is simply a flippant and untrue conditional refutation of the function of enlightening activity as being derivative of a culture.

To say so on a thread devoted to the fact that there is no ultimate cultural derivation of selfless wisdom proves that the first post I reported is off-topic.

Again, the point here is that until a more strict and enforced concept of what off-topic means and is continuously and earnestly cultivated into the very fabric of this organization, there will continue to be those who insist on using threads (that they themselves do not originate) for what amounts to essentially flippant comments.

I love that there are techs~ can't live without you, but this is a job for moderation in the technical sense. The culture of this forum is not conducive to production of deep original material.

There is a need to make changes for the benefit of all the people interested in reading the material— not just the minority of registered bums. And that is why I will not consider a ppf for reasons already explained in other posts on this subject.

You think you work pretty hard around here? What am I doing that anybody else is doing consistently and on this uncommon subject. Think about it, because you simply cannot appreciate the issues that contributors of original in-depth material are facing every time we log on to this forum because you have not experienced it yourself. So~ if you think I mind your flippant and lazy regard for the word cunt on my thread, think again, because I don't give a flying fuck if you don't, cherie.❤

ed note: add last paragraph

Actually the awesome content of your posts is why you have not been suspended (or more than once) for insulting many people in your threads :). Or at least that is the impression I got from when I was a mod. Generally though, good content doesn't change how moderation works from all everyone has told me.

Btw, Deci, patience, there just might be something in the works to help with this, but not something which can be done overnight so to speak.

I don't see any reason to set up a system in which a public posting becomes private property. A little editing goes a long way. Aside from the fact that hand offs in topic can be handled very well, my thread Theurgia-Goetia, on Gods and Demons (http://thetaobums.com/topic/27141-theurgia-goetia-on-gods-and-demons/?p=405616]) being an excellent example of a good hand off from Apech's thread on Ancient Egyptian symbols. Obviously such matters can be handled well if both parties are willing to act respectfully toward each other.

As for what I said about a little editing, if someone comments in a way that leads to a serious loss of the topic, one can go to ones own comments, post a reference to the most intelligent 'on topic' post after yours and to your own response to that. In that way one can skirt around some of the borderline 'nutcases' who sometimes derail otherwise interesting topics and so can readers who are interested in following the discussion, at the same time legitimate criticism can also be maintained and people can have a chance to read it for themselves. Since what the 'nutcases' want most is attention, when they don't get it and see that they are being worked around, maybe they will let it drop, if they continue, then maybe the Mods should step in.

You don't have to respond to everyone who posts. It is always possible to just ignore what someone has said, none of us have enough time to answer every question or comment thrown at us, especially if we consider it not relevant. We can say so and move on.

Part of my reason for joining this forum was to get intelligent feedback on some ideas. If all I wanted to do was to post 'original content' without any dissent, there are other places to do that, and if I wanted to control the comments, so that only ones that agreed with me and praised my deep and wonderful insights appeared, there are places to do that also, but I don't think that the Tao Bums should become one of them.

• Like 4

I don't see any reason to set up a system in which a public posting becomes private property. A little editing goes a long way. Aside from the fact that hand offs in topic can be handled very well, my thread Theurgia-Goetia, on Gods and Demons (http://thetaobums.com/topic/27141-theurgia-goetia-on-gods-and-demons/?p=405616]) being an excellent example of a good hand off from Apech's thread on Ancient Egyptian symbols. Obviously such matters can be handled well if both parties are willing to act respectfully toward each other.

As for what I said about a little editing, if someone comments in a way that leads to a serious loss of the topic, one can go to ones own comments, post a reference to the most intelligent 'on topic' post after yours and to your own response to that. In that way one can skirt around some of the borderline 'nutcases' who sometimes derail otherwise interesting topics and so can readers who are interested in following the discussion, at the same time legitimate criticism can also be maintained and people can have a chance to read it for themselves. Since what the 'nutcases' want most is attention, when they don't get it and see that they are being worked around, maybe they will let it drop, if they continue, then maybe the Mods should step in.

You don't have to respond to everyone who posts. It is always possible to just ignore what someone has said, none of us have enough time to answer every question or comment thrown at us, especially if we consider it not relevant. We can say so and move on.

Part of my reason for joining this forum was to get intelligent feedback on some ideas. If all I wanted to do was to post 'original content' without any dissent, there are other places to do that, and if I wanted to control the comments, so that only ones that agreed with me and praised my deep and wonderful insights appeared, there are places to do that also, but I don't think that the Tao Bums should become one of them.

In the spirit of Tao, if you make a statement it wont be all encompassing; the contrast will arise, another aspect will reveal itself. The tao can not be linearized without revealing the fullness of its nature.

When one of us makes a concrete statement in regards to tao, others are bound to see that what we are saying reveals a whole other aspect of the tao that is being spoken of.

The complete reality being all at once and now can not be named in a linear fashion, to focus on an aspect of it is to blind yourself to others, so the one that is focused on reveals the aspect that was not.

Part of the title of the forum is "discussions on the way" and I agree, how can there be a statement about the way that is more encompassing then the discussion that arises after? Why should the op or the maker of the statement fear contrast if they feel they have it; if their tao is all encompassing, then it will encompass the contrast, it will explain that it is not, or how it is. If their tao is not all encompassing, then it will be enhanced by the contrast, and the thread itself will be far more informative to anyone who's reading to include both contrast and support.

• Like 1

I think that you trying so hard to keep it all on topic is leading to the frustration on both ends.

So, wanting your original thread and material to stay on topic is not reasonable?

I'm a stickler for threads I start to stay on topic. If others people's rants, scent spraying, and off-topic BS is more valued than the original posting idea... there is definitely something amiss...

I know the idea is that 'all people's communication' is supposed to be valued but that does not make it valuable towards the topic... so I think we're missing a subtle point here.

• Like 2

Well it appears that TTB are mirroring the polarizing atmosphere that seems to be getting more extreme over the last few years.

Here a small, extreme group are hijacking and holding hostage many attempts at discussion to spray their scented opinion.

Much like what's happening in America's Congress with the Tea Party and their scent spraying=hostage tactics.

When you claim God as your source and proprietor of your thoughts and words, any open discussion is rendered rather moot.

If someone in the discussion is not with you, they are not with God, which means they are with the Devil and so you are justified, even obligated in your hateful actions towards them...

Discussion in this atmosphere cannot take place, because as George Bush Jr succinctly said "Either you are with us, or against us."

• Like 1