marcus2013

Practice recommendation for a total newbie.

Hi there Tao Bums!

I would like to start doing some kind of daily inner practice. Wether it's meditation, qigong or anything that I can do on my own.

However, I've been reading the forums and found so many different opinions and warnings about doing qigong on your own.

When I wanted to start learning and practicing the Small Orbit (as it's taught in the Spring Forest) then I find some people saying that even doing the small orbit can harm you if done improperly.

Others say that basic meditation if done improperly can repress your feelings/emotions instead of letting them flow.

All in all, a real mess for a newbie.

So, then, is there any practice you could recommend me that it's 100% safe ?

Thanks!

Welcome, Marcus!

One of the staff will be along shortly with advice to read a couple of housekeeping-related threads -- please take that advice.

You don't say what you wish for so you'll likely get a wide variety of recommendations (Heck! You would have even if you had been painfully explicit... :))

There's an interesting thread going on right now related to high-level neigong practices which might be of interest to you. Click the "View New Content" link in the top-right area of the screen and you should find the thread.

• Like 1

Hey Brian,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I would like a practice to improve energy levels, mental clarity, quiet mind and emotions and hence more joy in life. Or to put it in other words : To be healthier.

I'd say find a local teacher that you feel drawn to and see what they have to teach/offer. This will bring you much further than various books and vids. Also it helps in the whole making sure you do it properly aspect.

Don't worry though, I'm sure others will have some good book recommendations as well :).

• Like 1

Hey Brian,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I would like a practice to improve energy levels, mental clarity, quiet mind and emotions and hence more joy in life. Or to put it in other words : To be healthier.

Personally, I have found Stillness-Movement and Gift of the Tao neigong and have found it to be very helpful.

• Like 1

I would carry on with Spring Forest Qigong then, you wont find much better than that, if you are overly concerned with the Small Universe then do the active exercises first, but if you do the Small Universe from the recording or cd and don't add anything or even try to do much with it except move your attention to each place with the breath you won't go far wrong, but just trust your body.

• Like 2

I really recommend The Attention Revolution by Alan Wallace. It tells you everything you need to get started with meditation - which will definitely bring the results you're aiming for, especially mental clarity.

It's very clear about what you're doing and why, and starts at the level of a complete beginner. Increasingly subtle variations of three methods are presented as you make progress.

Also, there's some interesting bits about developing qualities such as compassion.

• Like 2

suggest doing sitting meditation following a qigong session. When you get the energies moving with qi gong, you will be in a good state to do sitting meditation in a way that won't stifle anything. At least in the beginning, remember to allow and follow the energy, rather than forcing and leading it. Let the mind clear as you settle. Focus on one point on the floor until attention and awareness fill the mind rather than thoughts and ideas. This takes concentration, but not force.

You shouldn't run into any troubles starting on your own this way.

• Like 3

There are MANY kinds of practices out there...MANY of which can have great benefits. What's important is to find what most strongly resonates with you as an Individual.......then practice it. Best of luck. :)

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 2

When I wanted to start learning and practicing the Small Orbit (as it's taught in the Spring Forest) then I find some people saying that even doing the small orbit can harm you if done improperly.

Spring Forest specifically states that it is designed to be done by beginners on their own. What you need to do is simply read all the instructions first, and follow them.

Anything in life can harm you if done improperly, such as crossing the street or eating lunch.

Others say that basic meditation if done improperly can repress your feelings/emotions instead of letting them flow.

If it is really "basic meditation" then that is nonsense. In fact, I find just the opposite is often the result of spiritual practice.

Basic meditation is:

Sit with your spine vertical, imagine your head is suspended on a string from the ceiling. Relax every part of your body, if necessary, check them mentally one by one. Don't obsess over any of that.

Close your eyes and try to experience what is in between your thoughts. If thoughts happen, let them happen, but try to not follow them. "Oh a thought - back to meditation."

Do this for a few minutes. That's it.

• Like 3

Thanks folks for all your answers. I think I'll try Spring Forest and the basic sitting meditation then.

Well, and the Wallace Book.

Oh no, my kindofADD attacks and I am trapped again in wanting to do too many things :D

Edited by marcus2013

Thanks folks for all your answers. I think I'll try Spring Forest and the basic sitting meditation then.

Well, and the Wallace Book.

Oh no, my kindofADD attacks and I am trapped again in wanting to do too many things :D

I have only heard positive things about Spring Forest. Enjoy the journey. :)

My 2 cents, peace

• Like 1

Everyone's like that when they start - so much choice, not wanting to waste time or miss something good. Doing a practice every day for 40 days helps prevent constantly changing, and gives you a proper idea of what the practice is like. Don't be overambitious with the length of your routine, either, or you'll get frustrated with it.

I would suggest, try the basic sitting for 40 days first, as it's simple and the first hurdle in cultivation is getting into the habit of daily practice. If you like that, keep it going as you try 40 days of Wallace's methods. Then if you like that, keep it up as you try 40 days of Spring Forest.

This way, at the end of 120 days you will have a well-established daily routine of one, two or all three of these techniques, which you'll have built up steadily. :)

• Like 1

Mo Pai.

Just because you are a beginner that simple plateau should not stop you from becoming a legend.

Do a search here and you will see, Mo Pai is where it is at :)

Edited by SonOfTheGods

i have to second Soaring Crane's recommendation of Healing Promise of Qi. it's an incredible book with theory, structure, and practice. lots of exercises to try out that are totally safe.

also, spring forest qigong is really good and really simple. i think i might be in the minority around here because i don't practice small universe and i've never encouraged any of my students to practice it. i think it's easy to get unpleasant side-effects once you've got a strong flow of qi going. and i just don't find it necessary. if your practice is solid, the small universe will become apparent without any need to focus any effort on it. remember the advice of Harmonious Emptiness above. it's good advice. :)

i personally think whole body breathing is a superior practice. plus, it's a whole lot safer and easier to get right.

• Like 5

i personally think whole body breathing is a superior practice. plus, it's a whole lot safer and easier to get right.

Do you mean the trademarked Whole Body Breathing method of Anna Coy, or simply the Buddha's Satipatthana Sutta: “As you breathe in, breathe in through the whole body; as you breathe out, breathe out through the whole body” ?

Do you mean the trademarked Whole Body Breathing method of Anna Coy, or simply the Buddha's Satipatthana Sutta: “As you breathe in, breathe in through the whole body; as you breathe out, breathe out through the whole body” ?

um... the Buddha's method, i guess. we start with breathing at the feet and work our way up to the top of the head, and then maintain a full-body awareness, feeling the body expand and contract as if itwere a sponge afloat in a sea of energy.

Edited by Hundun
  • Like 2

suggest doing sitting meditation following a qigong session.

I like that. But I would add that, at the end of the end, it's a good idea to do a little targeted, vigorous self-massage to return to the real world.

• Like 1

The Buddha's Satipatthana Sutta: “As you breathe in, breathe in through the whole body; as you breathe out, breathe out through the whole body” ?

Does this simple method is beneficial ? For how long ?

Basic meditation is:

Sit with your spine vertical, imagine your head is suspended on a string from the ceiling. Relax every part of your body, if necessary, check them mentally one by one. Don't obsess over any of that.

Close your eyes and try to experience what is in between your thoughts. If thoughts happen, let them happen, but try to not follow them. "Oh a thought - back to meditation."

Do this for a few minutes. That's it.

"Back to meditation" what means ? I don't really understand what I have to focus into. Between my thoughts there's supposed to be an empty fraction of time ?

And, 15 minutes a day it's ok ?

I'm about to start my 40 days routine.

THanks!!!

um... the Buddha's method, i guess. we start with breathing at the feet and work our way up to the top of the head, and then maintain a full-body awareness, feeling the body expand and contract as if it were a sponge afloat in a sea of energy.

very nice, and you don't have to label it. There are more than two ways to breathe :D

In between your thoughts, there is still awareness.

Being aware without thoughts is the focus of meditation.

However, if the mind tries to be without thoughts, then it tninks thoughts about being without thoughts. :)

Hence, the trick is to just notice the thought and let it go, without judgement.

• Like 3

In between your thoughts, there is still awareness.

Being aware without thoughts is the focus of meditation.

However, if the mind tries to be without thoughts, then it tninks thoughts about being without thoughts. :)

Hence, the trick is to just notice the thought and let it go, without judgement.

All right! Thanks buddy.

suggest doing sitting meditation following a qigong session. When you get the energies moving with qi gong, you will be in a good state to do sitting meditation in a way that won't stifle anything. At least in the beginning, remember to allow and follow the energy, rather than forcing and leading it. Let the mind clear as you settle. Focus on one point on the floor until attention and awareness fill the mind rather than thoughts and ideas. This takes concentration, but not force.

You shouldn't run into any troubles starting on your own this way.

This helped me so much. I just did the Small Universe Meditation after I read this and it was one of the most breakthrough sessions I have had yet. I could feel lots of pure healing electromagnetic energy being developed. The last time I felt it was when I got a healing from Jim N. Thank you!!!!