awarenessrules

KAP vs Hoshin Tao chikung

Not the faintest clue.

Again. This has to do with individual makeup, you wouldn't be able to predict it out of statistics.

Mapping out your emotional landscape and body armouring would be a better indicator.

You could try out the scanning exercises in B.K. Frantzis stuff to do that.

You want to learn to sink before playing with the fire stuff anyway.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I contacted both Tao and Santiago but no replies.

Santi is teaching currently, facebook is probably still his best general contact but he gets a LOT of queries (plus has a family and works full time as well as teaching KAP and Martial arts)- be polite but persistent.

If lack of money is the only barrier, then it’s not a barrier as arrangements can be made.

If it’s a lack of money because there are other “more important” things to spend money on, then that’s a barrier :)

Meanwhile you could combine your meditation mastery CD’s with the secret smile http://thetaobums.com/topic/9719-dr-morriss-secret-smile-breathing-basic-kap-1-giri-for-the-tao-bumbs/?p=116420

• Like 2

Good question!

Yes. There is a risk for "kundalini syndrome" with KAP.

Kundalini practices open deep stuff.

No system can guarantee "Safe kundalini awakening".

Stable awakening is not just a function of proper technique.

It depends on individual makeup and how much trauma you hold.

The more your yoga traditional the less chances to get K. syndrome. (KS).

People often have severe KS bc they rely on techniques rather than on Traditional system within Dharma teaching. :excl:

They get KS bc they have loads of impurities in granthas (three tan tiens). And when K is awaken it gives unpleasant feelings. Traditionally K. revered as Goddess or Divine Power which is located in outer space and descend from the top (7th chakra).

In its turn it starts to evolve kundalini within the body and this is process is most safe and requires the Shaktipat of guru from spiritual lineage or personal guru but latter does not mean that one can create his/her own technique and thus obtain Shaktipat. The technique must come from spiritual lineage and this is only the way to avoid severe KS.

Ask people who sell you "kundalini" stuff if they have traditional techniques and if they teach Dharma rather than giving just bunch of techniques how to open 3d eye or muladhara. Some people just make up techniques, call it "kundalini yoga" or "high level yoga" and sell it for the purpose of personal enrichment. If they do not have ancient texts of their school and they refer to someone in the past who created these techniques you should do research on these people and tradition if it was really spiritual lineage where spiritual realization happened in the past. This should not be akin to "there was great yogi (taoist) in the mountain who created...". WHO was that yogi (taoist), what is the spiritual lineage? Sometime they refer to people who lived in the past and who you can't check... no texts... no tradition.. no spirituality... JUST techniques with some feelings of something in the spine. I read here in the forum some people were saying that their kundalini is rising... but imho they only believe it is Kundalini... Kundalini may have many qualities beginning from gross feelings in the spine and ending up with Divine Purity. It's up to you what is in you and which energy you activate inside of you. Not all techniques the same and not all of them spiritual. Even if they call it spiritual or say it has Divine nature. The only way to make sure you are on the right path is to make sure your system has roots in real authentic spiritual tradition. It is not qigong, not bunch of techniques, not self made bunch of techniques with breath, movements and so on... Spirituality is rather Dharma than technique. Beware people here who promote CDs, DVD's promising you kundalini. They crave for money raher than teach you spirituality

Edited by Antares
  • Like 1

The more your yoga traditional the less chances to get K. syndrome. (KS).

People often have severe KS bc they rely on techniques rather than on Traditional system within Dharma teaching. :excl:

They get KS bc they have loads of impurities in granthas (three tan tiens). And when K is awaken it gives unpleasant feelings. Traditionally K. revered as Goddess or Divine Power which is located in outer space and descend from the top (7th chakra).

In its turn it starts to evolve kundalini within the body and this is process is most safe and requires the Shaktipat of guru from spiritual lineage or personal guru but latter does not mean that one can create his/her own technique and thus obtain Shaktipat. The technique must come from spiritual lineage and this is only the way to avoid severe KS.

Ask people who sell you "kundalini" stuff if they have traditional techniques and if they teach Dharma rather than giving just bunch of techniques how to open 3d eye or muladhara. Some people just make up techniques, call it "kundalini yoga" or "high level yoga" and sell it for the purpose of personal enrichment. If they do not have ancient texts of their school and they refer to someone in the past who created these techniques you should do research on these people and tradition if it was really spiritual lineage where spiritual realization happened in the past. This should not be akin to "there was great yogi (taoist) in the mountain who created...". WHO was that yogi (taoist), what is the spiritual lineage? Sometime they refer to people who lived in the past and who you can't check... no texts... no tradition.. no spirituality... JUST techniques with some feelings of something in the spine. I read here in the forum some people were saying that their kundalini is rising... but imho they only believe it is Kundalini... Kundalini may have many qualities beginning from gross feelings in the spine and ending up with Divine Purity. It's up to you what is in you and which energy you activate inside of you. Not all techniques the same and not all of them spiritual. Even if they call it spiritual or say it has Divine nature. The only way to make sure you are on the right path is to make sure your system has roots in real authentic spiritual tradition. It is not qigong, not bunch of techniques, not self made bunch of techniques with breath, movements and so on... Spirituality is rather Dharma than technique. Beware people here who promote CDs, DVD's promising you kundalini. They crave for money raher than teach you spirituality

You've direct experience of KAP and the teachers then?

• Like 4

Yes, I studied with Swamiji for several years (still do) and I am one of his Om Kara Kriya teachers. He is a walking and talking encyclopedia of southern and northern Indian tantric practices. Very knowledgeable and kind, powerful and with an ingenious sense of humour - a true Tantric. He studied with many of the top Indian masters of Yoga and Tantra. Here are two stories of a fellow disciple (Tor Hitchcox / http://www.example2.nadacat.com) about meeting him. The articles are a bit difficult to find. That is why I copied them from his site:

Meeting of Swami Anandakapila

I had studied Hawaiian massage and martial arts and some western yoga. I had spent five years learning and trying to meditate.

There was a conference for yoga on at Sydney show ground in 1996(International Yoga Conference). I went to listen to Niranjanananda originally, Swami Satyananda’s second in command. His lecture was not till the afternoon and I looked to see whom else I would like to hear a lecture from.

There was a Lecture from Swami Anandakapila (Dr. Jonn Mumford) on Kundalini yoga.

My first reaction was I did not want to go to that lecture as my former teacher had informed me that the gaining of siddhi (powers) in yoga was a distraction to the real work of finding yourself.

I had been told from quite a few people that Anandakapila was a very adept siddhi. After getting over my first reaction and not seeing, anyone else I would like to listen to I attended his lecture.

I walked to the hall. I made my way through the sea of people and found a place to sit. Anandakapila was a little late and he had laryngitis: he apologized with some quirky comments that had everyone laughing - from that moment on, I was mesmerized by the command and power of his voice. I do not remember much about the lecture as I was more drawn to the sound of his voice and the fact I was near the back of the hall and could hear him clearly with people whispering next to me.

I do remember very clearly, when he said we are going to do a short meditation and the effect it had.

We did a So Hum practice, which I had done many times before. This was different in its effect on my spine and energy. I was sitting taking my consciousness’ up and down my spine as he talked. Suddenly there was a heat in my back with pins and needles sensation. What was this?

I left the hall calm and energized also a little scared, puzzled.

Some time went by and I meet Megan a student of Anandakapila. After a chat she mentioned Anandakapila was teaching a kriya course at old south head road and would I like to come. My former teacher had left the country and I wanted to keep learning so I said yes. After another interesting evening and chatting to him in person for a brief time, I booked a one to one appointment.

Going to Anandakapila’s house I was very nervous with many thoughts running through my tiny little mind. How much power did he have as I had heard he could stop his heart and breathing for over twenty min’s.(tested while connected to an EEC and EEG Machine) Was he going to take control of my mind?

He did ha ha, but not in the way I imagined (he showed me my tiny little mind over the following years)

I walked into the room and sat down. In his quiet but powerful voice he asked me what I wanted from him and yoga. My answer was I wanted to learn how to meditate. I had been doing many practices for five years at this point and could not sit and concentrate for more than five min’s.

So began a long and sometimes painful process. Only painful because (I) fought so much with what he taught, ha ha

Six months latter I could sit for thirty minutes (some days) with no problem concentrating.
Eight years later I have done some meditations lasting nine hours.

Now I am a beginner at learning yoga and as Jonn has imbibed in me the reward for hard work is more hard work.

I pray that I can find more hard work with the axiom that I am careful in what I ask for (Gently please I’m now older in body but young in heart).

Anandakapila silencing the mind

I had been practicing regularly for some eight years under the guidance of Swami Anandakapila. I was quite content with how I could sit and concentrate my mind. The disturbances of past had been subdued for a while again. I felt confident and strength had been born within. Then came a shock!

I had been in a relationship for a few years and as time had gone on we had drifted apart .The relationship had a beauty and love about it but I had grown uncertain of where it was going. It saddened me but I was compelled to bring the relationship to an end.

I tried to finish the relationship in a good way. My partner at the time was that stricken with the separation she tried to commit suicide. The pain I felt, that she would try to do such a thing because of me. My mind went wild. What is my responsibility in this action? What could I have done differently to stop this? How could I hurt someone like that and driven her to such a state? How could I be so selfish as to end the relationship?

I went to see swami Anandakapila on Thursday night as usual. So many questions? What is my karma from such an event?

I knocked on the door and walked into the room. Anandakapila as usual saw what condition I was in. He said sit down and tell me about it Tor. I started like a runaway steam train. What ??? How am I ??? What Should I do ???

Anandakapila sat there patiently listening for quite a while not really saying much, just listening attentively as he does. Out of the blue he asked me to roll up the sleeves of my shirt and he started searching through the drawers.

He pulled out a rusty rod about three millimeters in diameter and two hundred millimeters long. He said keep talking about your problems don’t let me distract you. He started pushing the rod through a lime. In and out it went with me in full steam telling him how bad I felt.

I was still talking when he asked me to put my arm out straight and took my hand. I was still talking when lifted up the rod and started pushing it through my forearm between the bones and out the other side of my arm. I looked down in amazement as the rod passed right through my arm without any pain.

Shocked and amazed at what he had just done. Anandakapila said to me to keep telling him about my problems. I said swami G I have a rod through my arm and would like to talk about that. He smiled and said tell me about your problems. My mind had suddenly become razor sharp and clear. Not a single thought in my mind about how bad I was. Not a single thought about the relationship. I could not talk about anything as I was totally focused on the rod through my arm. Focused on the moment.

What is happening I am not in pain at all? He then proceeded to pull out the rod and to my amazement there was no bleeding. What is happening Swami G, I am not bleeding. He said tell me about your problems. I couldn’t find any problem to talk about. What had just happened? Having worked with many sharp objects that have cut or pierced my body over the years many times, I was shocked that there was no pain and no blood. I was happy there was no pain and no blood.

In one swift motion Anandakapila had brought my tiny little mind back into present time and answered every possible question I had.

Over the following days the experience bought many revelations to mind,

The fear of siddhis being a distraction from the path fell away and what became clear to me -that right time, right place, right way a siddhi is a powerful tool that can be used by the skilled to assist on the path to inner peace.

A deeper understanding about karma, that the action of the past (the suicide attempt) I did not have karma from the event in the way I was asking but I was creating karma by the perturbation and concentrating on something I could do nothing about.

Meditation brings one more into the present moment, keeping that state is staying forever aware that, anything can happen to anyone, at any moment. Be grateful right now for what we have now.

Edited by Pai_Mei
  • Like 1

I should also mention that I know Santiago and the KAP system very well, too. After studying with Swamiji for years I needed a breath of fresh air and wanted to see what other teachers had to share and therefore studied privately with Santiago for about 1,5 years. He is a great guy and has many things to offer. KAP is basically a system of "stuff that works" and very much suited for beginners as well as seasoned practitioners. But if you really want a practice with a very powerful and old lineage energy behind it you should study Tenaga Dalam with Santiago (he shares some of it in his PSD classes). This is a VERY powerful system. This systems sorts out the men from the boys. Highly recommended.

• Like 1