Aetherous

Japanese Acupuncture

A long time ago I took a class in Japanese scalp acupuncture - everything was done entirely on the head.

I found it very interesting and it also coincided with several of the medical qigong style treatments.

The class you post may indeed be very informative.

I think this online course only offers 6 PDA continuing ed credit and is more designed for existing licensees.

I didn't know acupuncture needles were difficult to find but then again I haven't used them for a very long time. Not suggesting anyone but licensed acupuncturists do so, but I used to order them online from TCM suppliers.

Ya Mu,

You are correct!

Joeblast,

so if I kiss the ring and pay $197, will I be able to buy acupuncture needles again? :rolleyes:

An idea I had was making a deal with a local acupuncturist to supply needles for personal use. One might be willing if you demonstrate that you won't hurt yourself. Or maybe find a different vendor? I bought some a few years back from Lhasa OMS.

I joined (20 bucks a month)...the website barely contains any information, and in the member's forum they say that you need this textbook. I will be canceling the subscription to the website!

So if you're interested in Japanese meridian style acupuncture, I suggest you just get that book. It seems quite clear and complete!

There is also this really inexpensive book on Kindle, which gives a basic understanding of Japanese meridian style (I got more from this 3 dollar book than the website lol). The author says that you can use a teishin instead of needles, which I plan on trying for self-work. I've been using this transdermal roll on, which also works (the pulse definitely changes in response).

edit:

So I got the textbook. It wasn't as clear as I thought, and I'm returning it...I can't recommend it, personally, except to people who already practice Japanese style as something to reflect upon or consider.

Also, about teishin, this guy makes some good quality ones. I went back and read the Chinese classics...in the Ling Shu they call it "spoon needle". Here's a passage on it:

"The spoon needle has a point which is as sharp as a grain of millet. It controls the channels by touch, not by penetration, so as to bring about the qi." - from Chapter 1

Edited by turtle shell
  • Like 1

Interesting, the book looks good.

I've been doing some comparison shopping of amazon(.com) vs amazon(.co.uk). FWIW, on the U.S (.com) its $3 on the British site the Kindle version is 8.04 pounds ($12.80)!! Quite a difference.

• Like 1