mjjbecker

What High Level Energetic Practices Do You Recommend?

what's "off" about it?

I don't want to derail Mike's thread into a debate about a book. So if you really want to get into it beyond what I say below, start a thread and if I have time I'll participate, or pm me.

"This book deals the general configuration of the qigong movement, overlooking regional differences as well as the great diversity of practices and denominations. It would have been impossible to describe each method and group; I can only attempt to present a broad picture of the movement as a whole." Palmer pg 27

I think he does a good job of this. As well as anyone could. But the picture painted is necessarily inaccurate due to the constraints of such a sociological survey. It misses out important figures and paints others in a light that is not entirely inaccurate or quite accurate either. The more you know about many of the people who get mentions the more you will appreciate what I mean. Overall however it is a good read and well worth reading for those interested in how qigong became qigong.

Best,

• Like 5

In my day, high level techniques were kinda mmmmm secret

Would be kinda silly to have a door with a sign that says "Secret techniques, come right in"

In your day? You're 22 yrs old.

When was "your day"? 5 months ago? :ph34r:

Edited by SonOfTheGods
  • Like 3

I don't want to derail Mike's thread into a debate about a book. So if you really want to get into it beyond what I say below, start a thread and if I have time I'll participate, or pm me.

"This book deals the general configuration of the qigong movement, overlooking regional differences as well as the great diversity of practices and denominations. It would have been impossible to describe each method and group; I can only attempt to present a broad picture of the movement as a whole." Palmer pg 27

I think he does a good job of this. As well as anyone could. But the picture painted is necessarily inaccurate due to the constraints of such a sociological survey. It misses out important figures and paints others in a light that is not entirely inaccurate or quite accurate either. The more you know about many of the people who get mentions the more you will appreciate what I mean. Overall however it is a good read and well worth reading for those interested in how qigong became qigong.

Best,

don't say inaccurate w/o evidence. u made a claim and then offer nothing. of course palmer left stuff out there's thousands of qigong styles.

u want to publicly diss someone but then want ur evidence to be private. enuf said.

• Like 1

One more thing important: When you meditate check your mind constantly so it doesn't wander. Concentration - but not a mental one with a lot of effort - is the key. It is better with 10 minutes of single minded concentration than 4 hours of inner pointless gazing. There is a time later in the meditation process where focus might give place for a session Dhyana or a period of extended Dhyana over some months, but this is special cases when you can relax concentration and you are naturally drawn to single mindedness.

Think it like we try to make a pile of leaf burn by collecting the suns rays trough a magnifier glass. You must find the right focal point and hold it steadily for some critical time. Its the same with meditation. Some people never reach quality meditation since their mind wanders even in subtler levels. When meditate all egoistic concerns and thoughts must be sacrificed.

When I invited a Buddhist lama in my house for a group of people over a weekend.. the night when I was in meditative state, I felt the lamas concern to transfer his "dharma" to me energetically. I conveyed to his heart: I don't want any energy / healing or things from your teachings since it will oblige me to follow your tradition. Else its just a waste of your dharma. He understood and I never recieved anything. I just think we should be conscious of what we take in. Its chocking to see people receiving "Diksha" or healings from this or that master without knowing anything about it. They end up with threads of energy sources to all kind of groups and people. Its better to rely on your own source and a deeper meditation session will heal everything in an instant.

• Like 4

You know I'm starting to see a pattern, there's like 3 top level techniques talked about

And I even feel like I've said this before

In my day, high level techniques were kinda mmmmm secret

Would be kinda silly to have a door with a sign that says "Secret techniques, come right in"

Even better, "Infiltrate this clan and learn all their secrets"

If everyone knows about them then they are probably not really good, the techniques

by the way I'VE SAID NOTHING, MAN :ninja:

Horse stance is no longer secret... ;)

• Like 3

In your day? You're 22 yrs old.

When was "your day"? 5 months ago? :ph34r:

lol around 5-6 years ago

And I'm not talking about horse stance :rolleyes: right now :lol:

• Like 3

Even just yesterday morning I might well have been inclined to comment somewhat differently than I am choosing to comment right at this moment. One thing we can see from this thread is each person comments from their own current personal makeup and experience and perception and views; from where they are in that moment. One person's 'high level' can be another person's 'low level' or 'medium level', or whatever. It is for this reason that I now personally prefer to try to avoid these sort of conceptualizations. It seems to me that since our perceptions and views and experiences and conceptualization of self and our surroundings are constantly changing, whether we are aware of it or not, what really is high and low? Something which we might have thought was amazing or very important at one point in our life, we may later look back at and realize it was actually not so important or helpful or not to our benefit at all, but it really seemed so at the time. However, we hopefully learned something from that experience. Had we not gone through that experience and lived and experienced through that point of view, our change in views and understanding about certain things might never have occurred. We might still be stuck back with more limiting views and assumptions which we may have taken completely for granted at that prior time.

So, what am I trying to say? :) At this current 'moment' in time, my thinking is that we each may need to make our own way and make our own mistakes, and learn our own unique lessons in our own good time, and find what resonates with us personally at any given point in time. This doesn't mean we can't try to help others avoid making mistakes where we think we can be helpful, but in the end each person will still make their own decisions and go their own way. Some people at a given point may prefer to seek out an environment in which all is very much laid out and arranged for them, maybe even with promises of being the best and highest way and with many or all the answers, and they may go deeply into that role, and some may at some later point choose to move on from that, while others will not. Still others may choose completely different routes. Is one way 'better' than the other? What I am thinking is another possible way to look at all this is that each person will be drawn to what resonates for them to suit their own personal makeup and purposes. We all have to learn our own lessons our own way in the end. I don't know if this way of thinking is 'correct' or not, but it is how I am currently tending to view and consider things. :)

Edited by Iskote

I had medium high level for a few weeks in 2000.

a qigong master said i went deeper than 95% of people on the planet.

it's very pure. even a little salt tasted like poison.

the chi pulled someone's spirit out of their skull without touching them.

when a female made eye contact with me at 25 feet away she had an orgasm.

soon people around me pulled my energy back down.

i moved 9 tmes that year trying to find a better place.

u really need the qigong master to personally protect and supervise the training at that point.

i didn't have the money. haha.

so it is very rare - people have no idea imo.

anyway we can keep trying but if i had a good place to practice i definitlely wudn't post on ttbs.

haha.

i wud be focused on storing up my energy. i wud not risk it.

Edited by pythagoreanfulllotus

One more cent here:

As far as utility in bringing real results for me goes, I have to mention EFT. This is a great tool even if the only superpower you are interested in is keeping your emotions in balance, which should be of interest to all practitioners. Results are striking in what I've seen over the past couple of years with my brother and myself.

The military is finally starting to listen and is incorporating this into their protocols for treating vets with PTSD

http://taptojoy.com/?p=479

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/larry-burk-md/eft-tapping_b_3269995.html

Very quick results can be had with only minutes of practice at a time once or twice a day. Personally, I've seen very nice changes with using simplified protocols like Faster EFT, which can be learned for free off video clips on Youtube. This, along with Amy Cuddy's 2 minute power pose to lower cortisol and raise testosterone ( http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are.html ) is now a standard routine warm-up for me before I start with any qigong set.

Saludos,

Rene'

anyway we can keep trying but if i had a good place to practice i definitlely wudn't post on ttbs.

haha.

you feel the vampires here too eh?

full lotus defense.

• Like 1

u really need the qigong master to personally protect and supervise the training at that point.

haha.

Many masters go into seclusion for at least a time during intense cultivation. Also many practices which bring you to intense levels tend to recommend a period of seclusion during such things.

I have noticed that even the native americans have this, after a vision quest, you are not to come into contact with another person, or look anyone in the eyes for a time, or they can bring you back down to the more mundane levels.

• Like 4

Master Wang Juemin was mentioned and a book quote about him was referenced.

Let me tell you a bit about him as a person.

I have never in my life met anyone like him. Not even close. His compassion for others, his gentleness backed up by his raw power, his ability to always remain calm, the glow of his energy body - all this was far beyond what I could possibly describe. When I first met him I could feel him even before I got off the train. I had felt a buzzing for quite some time even before the train stopped. And when I first shook his hand I was briefly thrown out of my body when he said "So good to see you again, my friend".

This glow of the energybody is what I saw in England

when doing Tree Qigong outside.

The glow is something I could see after the Water Fu

you took in Finnland which lessen the burden.

The glow of the energybody seem to be aweseome

charateristic of this lineage of LIGHT.

I also see this after practise on me.

Master Wang endured hardships that most would not have been able to withstand. Shot up in a firefight with Japanese soldiers and in coma with gangrene (healed with medical qigong). Jailed for over 17 years. Tortured beyond what any have described - which he CALMLY told me about. He CALMLY told me of his wife and son being taken to far away labor camps. He only said "All of China was insane then".

I understand it so:

If his body had not been harmed by the insane time....

can you imagine his level of development then?

Master Wang was recognized by his peers as one of the more accomplished qigong masters in China and was recognized as a Chinese National Treasure.

One of his friends was a famous acupuncturist. He told me stories of Master Wang's feats which I never heard of from his own lips. He gave me a picture he took of Master Wang naked climbing out of a lake - It was dated as January something. The climate there was way below freezing.

This means he could do the same as Wim Hof.

Despite of his damaged body.

Cold Water for three minutes is enough to raise cortisol.

To lower the stress means to be extremly calm.

He also told me of a Buddhist monk who came from a long way off to challenge Master Wang to a sitting duration. Master Wang refused, but this rogue monk stayed for several weeks, stirring up trouble in the town until it became a matter of "town pride" - not his own. In order to preserve calmness for the town, he did do the challenge, and sat for another day after the monk got up. At which point the monk left and no longer stirred up trouble.

A monk come to duel him in sitting?

So a society man wins against someone who go out of society?

This demonstrate that cultivating in society is not less then in monastry.

When it is done correctly.

• Like 5

haha.

Interesting Q&A on 'http://www.springforestqigong.com/index.php/master-chunyi-lin/ask-master-lin-archive#201211'

What is the finger protection posture?

The protection posture I teach in my class is to hold the tip of the thumb against the index finger and fingernail to create a circle. This posture closes all the energy channels in your body so energy can come in, but does not go out.

For example, when you experience fear, energy can drain from your body. When you hold this posture, you keep that from happening. If you are around someone who drains energy from you, you can practice this.

It is also a very practical posture because it can help keep your body heat in, so if you ever visit Minnesota during the winter you will know exactly what to do. ☺

Return to SFQ Empowering You Newsletter - March 2013

Jumping (or Bouncing) into Spring!

May be away of conserving energy (have not tried it)

• Like 1

This glow of the energybody is what I saw in England

when doing Tree Qigong outside.

The glow is something I could see after the Water Fu

you took in Finnland which lessen the burden.

The glow of the energybody seem to be aweseome

charateristic of this lineage of LIGHT.

I also see this after practise on me.

I understand it so:

If his body had not been harmed by the insane time....

can you imagine his level of development then?

This means he could do the same as Wim Hof.

Despite of his damaged body.

Cold Water for three minutes is enough to raise cortisol.

To lower the stress means to be extremly calm.

A monk come to duel him in sitting?

So a society man wins against someone who go out of society?

This demonstrate that cultivating in society is not less then in monastry.

When it is done correctly.

He regularly went swimming in winter. Also walked around town in a short sleeve shirt. He was very much recognized throughout the area as a man of healing, compassion, integrity, gentleness, and power.

Monastic life is fine if that is what a person wants. But it is not necessary for internal cultivation. Master Wang believed everyone should practice qigong.

He saw qigong as a way to bring harmony to the world due to the calmness it brings; a way to bring health to everyone due to it's immune properties; a way to bring awareness to everyone to open their eyes to what really is surrounding us as well as the fact that we are multidimensional Beings of Light simultaneously operating in more than one dimension. He saw that when all people realize these things there will be no more wars and harmony would be restored to Earth due to the practice being able to awaken a person to life and awaken a person to what Earth really is.

• Like 11

Well, I would be interested in you exactly describing what chi experiences you actually had or have with this practice to come to my own conclusions about the worth of this system.

Your curiosity is perfectly understandable. Any conclusions reached though without actual experience would amount to speculation. Those who feel an affinity with the method will try it for themselves. Those who don't will not. C'est la vie and that is perfectly OK.

Traditional teachers do not preempt students with expectations of what qi experiences a student may experience during practice. Why? Because then students go looking for such sensations, and can easily trick themselves and imagine something that is not real. This is why teachers ask, 'What did you feel?' rather say in advance, 'This is what you should feel'. The student practices, the teacher observes and corrects where needed. The student does not try to ape the adept or the master and instead allows things to unfold as they should.

So no, I won't detail such things, though in the past I have mentioned some experiences. There are others practicing these exercises who read this forum. I would not want them to affect their practice by concerning themselves with other peoples, such as my own, experiences. Cue the next paragraph which makes my point.

I've had more than one PM about the Gift of the Tao exercises. It is important to say questions would be best directed to YaMu-Michael Lomax. He is the originator and teacher of the method and knows it better than anyone. I don't mind people asking me questions about this, but if you want to talk art, why would you choose a grade school teacher when you have access to the maestro?

• Like 5

Because then students go looking for such sensations, and can easily trick themselves and imagine something that is not real.

Sure, if they are idiots...

I don't mind people asking me questions about this, but if you want to talk art, why would you choose a grade school teacher when you have access to the maestro?

This is because the maestro sometimes

can not be understood and even is

underestimated at a beginner level!

Asking some grade school can be useful

to expirience of "if I was more intelligent

I would do not have to pay schooling fee

but now I understand the worth!""

And :

"How awesome I didnt know this is in our lineage!"

And this I have often... I need higher intelligence stats! :D

• Like 3

One beauty of Stillness-Movement and the teachings is that it really doesn't matter about language so much. The teaching is in the energy itself. As the practitioner advances understanding occurs. Master Wang taught me running qigong without an interpreter. I later confirmed everything with an interpreter. Everything was spot on.

Your curiosity is perfectly understandable. Any conclusions reached though without actual experience would amount to speculation. Those who feel an affinity with the method will try it for themselves. Those who don't will not. C'est la vie and that is perfectly OK.

Traditional teachers do not preempt students with expectations of what qi experiences a student may experience during practice. Why? Because then students go looking for such sensations, and can easily trick themselves and imagine something that is not real. This is why teachers ask, 'What did you feel?' rather say in advance, 'This is what you should feel'. The student practices, the teacher observes and corrects where needed. The student does not try to ape the adept or the master and instead allows things to unfold as they should.

So no, I won't detail such things, though in the past I have mentioned some experiences. There are others practicing these exercises who read this forum. I would not want them to affect their practice by concerning themselves with other peoples, such as my own, experiences. Cue the next paragraph which makes my point.

I've had more than one PM about the Gift of the Tao exercises. It is important to say questions would be best directed to YaMu-Michael Lomax. He is the originator and teacher of the method and knows it better than anyone. I don't mind people asking me questions about this, but if you want to talk art, why would you choose a grade school teacher when you have access to the maestro?

I prefer beginners to people who have read a bunch of books as the preconceived notions are immense.

It is one thing to practice and another to attempt to answer questions; a whole other thing unto itself. It can help a person grow with a better personal understanding by attempting to explain. But of course up to you if you want to deal with that or not. I could go fishing the more you explain versus me (where is the halo or innocence icon?)

All joking aside I am glad to answer any questions - provided they are from genuine interested people.

• Like 8

One beauty of Stillness-Movement and the teachings is that it really doesn't matter about language so much. The teaching is in the energy itself. As the practitioner advances understanding occurs. Master Wang taught me running qigong without an interpreter. I later confirmed everything with an interpreter. Everything was spot on.

I prefer beginners to people who have read a bunch of books as the preconceived notions are immense.

It is one thing to practice and another to attempt to answer questions; a whole other thing unto itself. It can help a person grow with a better personal understanding by attempting to explain. But of course up to you if you want to deal with that or not. I could go fishing the more you explain versus me (where is the halo or innocence icon?)

All joking aside I am glad to answer any questions - provided they are from genuine interested people.

I 'allowed' the walking qigong to 'kick in' a couple of times today when I wanted to get past people. I was feeling tired, given four and a bit hours sleep and have just done a full days work (courtesy of the absurd day juggling that goes on with every public holiday over here). It wasn't 'normal' energy, pushing from the legs. My intent went to dantien and at one point it felt like the old descriptions of masters whose feet didn't touch the ground. The feet were touching the ground, (and my head was not in the clouds), but the 'push off' was almost effortless. Like an easy glide.

Yes, preconceived notions indeed (the great problem of the 'Information Age' being a lot of people are only taking shallow draughts and are indeed getting very intoxicated as a result). There's nothing like a few thousand hours of practice to answer questions. Really, there is nothing like a few thousand hours of practice-because words will never do it, and like with all experiences, the intellectually imagined scenario cannot compare with real experience.

Like I tell my kids at the college, the answer is easy: Practice, practice, practice. And when you've finished that, do some more. All other words are just reassurances. Practice is the answer.

Now I must go back to sorting out my computer problems before the thing crashes again...

• Like 3

Well, I would be interested in you exactly describing what chi experiences you actually had or have with this practice to come to my own conclusions about the worth of this system.

Sorry to interfere but the only way for you to come to your own conclusions about the worth of a system is through your experiences with it.

Someone else's can never be a meaningful substitute.

Just sayin'

• Like 2