I recently bought a kefir starter culture from here. (Sorry, UK.)

And it's great. I started off using raw milk from the market, as I believe is the general idea, but it also seems to work with pasteurised stuff, which makes an only slightly less pleasant result.

Apparently it will work with nut and seed milks also, but needs dairy every so often to keep the culture alive.

It couldn't be easier. Add milk, leave in a jar in a cupboard for a day. Strain, drink, repeat.

It has this wonderful sour fermented sort of taste. So far my body completely craves it.

Er, that's it, I guess. Good for you, apparently.

I just ordered some grains this week. I've been fermenting raw goat and cow milk naturally for years. I am curious to see how the kefir affects me.

This is a tangent but where can we get Kombucha? I'd kinda like to try that.

Has anyone else tried it? Do they feel it helps any?

Edited by vortex

Any kind of fermented food that's raw and unpasteurized will have lots of beneficial enzymes and microorganisms. Nice and alive! Kefir, kombucha, kimchi (wonder why they all start with K?) and other kinds of pickled veggies.. you can make your own, but there are some good products available now that are actually raw, like Biolacto fermented veggies, and some traditional kimchi is unpasteurized.

I'm still trying to find unpasteurized, naturally fermented pickled cucumbers, when I want one without waiting to make them.. 'cause I love good old fashioned pickles, but the vinegary kind are just wrong.

Health food stores have bottled kombucha drinks now, which are unpasteurized. Check the labels, because some have added sugar to offset the natural sourness of the lactic acid. The sugar used in making it should be all converted, but then they sometimes add more. I've gotten the ones without added sugar and added a dash of honey or a dash of fruit juice.

-Karen

Edited by karen

I love good old fashioned pickles, but the vinegary kind are just wrong.

I made some great vinegary pickles! :)

Nice, raw apple cider vinegar, cucmbers, bay leaf, garlic, black pepper, untreated sea salt and some cracked corriander seeds.

yum! ^_^

Oh, that does sound yummy! Coriander, mmm.

I meant the commercial kind that's made with distilled white vinegar and they pasteurize the life out of it, poor things :(

Karen is totally and absolutely right.

I have a kombucha and I ferment about 4 liters of tea per week. The resulting beverage is very tasteful, really close to the cyder. Medical research has demonstrated that kombucha tea has a molecule which helps liver to detoxify itself and blood. And, of course, the more clear liver, the more energy you'll have.

Added to it, I use a water type called: diamond water. I got it from a friend, after reading it had a higher vibrating level. Don't know if it's true, but water came to me after summoning it for some weeks (I did know of its existence, but I was unable to obtain it).

About kefir, it's true is more powerful than a mere yogurt, but it lacks LC bacteria. Kefir's bacteria are specialized in bowel track clearing, and they have the ability to grab themselves to the walls better than normal bacteria, so they're stance time inside us is longer. By the way, as long as I'm vegan I ferment soy milk. The result is very similar to that of cow milk, even if it tastes more gentle (not so acid). The only difference is that the culture doesn't grow, as it does with animal-milk.

One question: what the heck is kimchi?

I kefir and make kombucha too. Any good recipes, a bit out of the ordinary?

I like kefir made from almond milk, and kombucha made with sencha, chamomile and lemongrass.

I kefir and make kombucha too. Any good recipes, a bit out of the ordinary?

I like kefir made from almond milk, and kombucha made with sencha, chamomile and lemongrass.

I use green tea for kombucha (gun powder variety, from Taiwan).

To "champagnize" the kefir, I ferment it for several days in a sealed pot of glass (so the CO2 generated does not escape). When the serum is separated from the protein, I, carefully, discard the liquid part and keep the more solid one. That way it gets like a yogurt with a touch of mousse.

Edited by andonitxo

I have a kombucha and I ferment about 4 liters of tea per week. The resulting beverage is very tasteful, really close to the cyder. Medical research has demonstrated that kombucha tea has a molecule which helps liver to detoxify itself and blood. And, of course, the more clear liver, the more energy you'll have.

Added to it, I use a water type called: diamond water. I got it from a friend, after reading it had a higher vibrating level. Don't know if it's true, but water came to me after summoning it for some weeks (I did know of its existence, but I was unable to obtain it).

One question: what the heck is kimchi?

Wow, what the heck is "diamond water" and how is it obtained?

180px-Korean_Gimchi01b.jpg

Kimchi is Korean fermented cabbage and veggies. It is similar to and may have had the same suspected Mongol origin as German sauerkraut.

A relative of the Asian delicacy kimchi and other fermented vegetables, sauerkraut is believed to have its origins in the north of China among the Mongols and been introduced to the West by invading Asian tribes.

I use green tea for kombucha (gun powder variety, from Taiwan).

To "champagnize" the kefir, I ferment it for several days in a sealed pot of glass (so the CO2 generated does not escape). When the serum is separated from the protein, I, carefully, discard the liquid part and keep the more solid one. That way it gets like a yogurt with a touch of mousse.

I bought some coconut water, because apparenlty it tastes like champagne if you kefir it.

Thanks for your tip, I'll try it.

Wow, what the heck is "diamond water" and how is it obtained?

180px-Korean_Gimchi01b.jpg

Kimchi is Korean fermented cabbage and veggies. It is similar to and may have had the same suspected Mongol origin as German sauerkraut.

I've been taking it for some months, though I've not felt anything special. To say straightforward: it's a water charged with energy so it can absorb your thoughts and emotions before taking it (a kind of magneto).

http://net.addr.com/eaudiamant/diamondwater.htm

http://www.cam.net.uk/home/aaa315/healing/diamond-water.htm

Edited by andonitxo