Sign in to follow this  
3bob

Flipping a Buddhist perspective...

Okay. How does one attain Enlightenment unless one becomes totally aware of the existance of the Manifest plane of the universe and how it functions?

with all the heavy duty talk that sometimes goes on I thought a little chuckle would be ok,

although I'm not sure why the historic Buddha didn't actually start his summation(s) with the statement the op submitted since such is the bottom line and not suffering.

• Like 2

Yeah, we do need lighten up now and again.

And I would agree, being enlightened would include, but not be limited to, suffering, its causes, and processes of its elimination.

MH, well I'd say to include the understanding of suffering but not the condition of it...

MH, well I'd say to include the understanding of suffering but not the condition of it...

Hehehe. But one will never know what real suffering is until they have themself suffered greatly.

Now go suffer!

Such understanding/knowing is part of such enlightenment that is being alluded to...

I had some very minor suffering when my college football team lost this weekend, it was a little more serious when my wife chewed me out... but those are small potatoes compared to past (types of) sufferings of once being a young man. I imagine you know what I'm talking about?

Such understanding/knowing is part of such enlightenment that is being alluded to...

I had some very minor suffering when my college football team lost this weekend, it was a little more serious when my wife chewed me out... but those are small potatoes compared to past (types of) sufferings of once being a young man. I imagine you know what I'm talking about?

Hehehe. Yes, a wife really know how to make a husband suffer. No sympathy from me regrading the football game though.

Yes, being a young man includes great suffering. I'm glad that's over with for me.

Isn't it great that we can talk about a concept without talking about it?

Which college team? My Ohio State Buckeyes are on a 17 game winning streak!

Edited by ralis

MH, I's say we've touched on some aspects so far without going nuts, or being in need of hospitalization...(of one kind or another)

Ralis, That's great news for the Buckeyes! Mum so far on my college team but my NFL team is the Broncos.

(Btw,your handle always reminds me of 'rails', no insult intended)

Which college team? My Ohio State Buckeyes are on a 17 game winning streak!

Not really a Buckeyes fan, but they were definitely robbed last year for their suspension...

MH, I's say we've touched on some aspects so far without going nuts, or being in need of hospitalization...(of one kind or another)

Ralis, That's great news for the Buckeyes! Mum so far on my college team but my NFL team is the Broncos.

(Btw,your handle always reminds me of 'rails', no insult intended)

Not telling me who your team is?

Yeah, sometimes we should lighten up and not take life too seriously.

still why didn't the Buddha start with the bottom line instead of with dualistic suffering?

No single English word adequately captures the full depth, range, and subtlety of the crucial Pali term dukkha. Over the years, many translations of the word have been used ("stress," "unsatisfactoriness," "suffering," etc.). Each has its own merits in a given context. There is value in not letting oneself get too comfortable with any one particular translation of the word, since the entire thrust of Buddhist practice is the broadening and deepening of one's understanding of dukkha until its roots are finally exposed and eradicated once and for all. One helpful rule of thumb: as soon as you think you've found the single best translation for the word, think again: for no matter how you describe dukkha, it's always deeper, subtler, and more unsatisfactory than that.

"Birth is dukkha, aging is dukkha, death is dukkha; sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, & despair are dukkha; association with the unbeloved is dukkha; separation from the loved is dukkha; not getting what is wanted is dukkha. In short, the five clinging-aggregates are dukkha."
— SN 56.11
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this