BaguaKicksAss

Anyone tried one of those infrared wall panels?

I want to get one for my (cold) treatment room. Anyone tried one? I'm curious how well they work. It is a small room, so should be fine. It's pretty new tech though, and it doesn't seem to have made it to north america yet, so I've not seen one in person...

Some are quite pretty FAR_INFRARED_WALL_HEATING_PANEL.jpg

I'm just going to go for a plain one though to save $$ ;).

• Like 2

Hi BKA,

Far infrared has some great advantages. I haven't tried the wall panels yet, but I've been using two portable quartz infrared heaters in my office for a couple years now. They work great! The building has central heating, but also low insulation and leaky windows, so lots of drafts when it's cold. The central heating thermostat keeps the heat cycling on as the drafts cool the air, making it always a little too hot or a little too cold. The infrared heaters stabilize the temp. They heat objects, not air, so they're great in a drafty space, and they make the room usable for massage much faster than heaters that try to heat the air.

A few caveats: You have to aim the heater directly at the objects you want heated, so you need to mount it on the wall at the level you are treating. Also, it only heats one side of said object. That's why I use two, sitting on low tables at table height on either side of the treatment table.

The other slight problem is that you (standing) will be always be a better heating target than someone lying on the table! I often have to turn off the heater on the side I'm working on.

At home I use one just aimed at my feet. Even on low (400 watts), I stay toasty, but can turn the house heat down 3-5 degrees, helps on the oil bill! Wall mount near my computer desk would work okay I think.

Don't know about the fixed wall version for the office. Convenient not to have to move it, or trip over it!, but I move mine a lot for my and clients' comfort. I'll be interested in how it works for you. If you want it mounted high, you'll probably have to angle it to point toward the table, or wherever you do your treatment.

Edit: Low is only 400 watts.

Edited by cheya
  • Like 2

Half cold clients, hmmmm.

I used one of those infrared ones with crystals/minerals in it for a week once, soooo relaxing. But I do remember having to move it to different parts of my back as it really did only heat one area.

Personally I hear the word qi and I start sweating, so it would only be pointing towards the person I'm treating...

One of those oil filled radiant heaters is also tempting, but they take awhile to heat a room up.

Darn winter! ;)

I use a portable, one person sauna that has 3 far infrared panels along with a ceramic heater.

http://www.healthandmed.com/p-2057-portable-far-infrared-sauna-with-ceramic-heater-carbon-fiber-panels.aspx?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=Shopzilla&utm_campaign=CSEMGMT

It has a fantastic affect on my joints and tendons in the morning especially. I use it before any qigong or cultivation now.

I find it to be glorious. Deep penetrating subtle heat, no need for the ceramic air heater unless I want to get a heavy sweat going.

It's remarkably effective at opening up meridians and loosening up the joints. The whole body smiles with delight.

• Like 3

I went with one of those TDP lamps; I've tried one before and they are just awesome. Well that and just an electric heater I have laying about for backup.

Hey BKA,

Those TDP lamps are wonderful.

You might also want a table heater pad. They really help keep the client warm without cooking the therapist. You can get them in DC if the AC version buzzes your hands.

• Like 1

Those table heating pads do look tempting :). I had the heat turned up this evening during a treatment, and boy was I roasting!

I love the mineral infrared lamps! Someone loaned me one for a week once, it was soooo nice on my sore back (from Bagua all day everyday during that time lol). It will be worth having one just for my own use hehe.

Do they lay on the heating pad things during the entire treatment, or are they just to pre-heat the table with?

You put it under a blanket or sheet, and they lay on it the whole time. The heat is adjustable, so you can turn it down or off if it's too much. Then you can reduce the room temp a bit and still keep the client comfortable.

• Like 1

I already have folks making jokes about wanting to just sleep on the table overnight (I got an extra thick foam massage table), I think the heating pad will clinch it lolol.

Thank you for the heating pad suggestion! :)