Daong

Herbal remedy for Kidney's

I've been noticing with energy practices that it drains my kidneys and they feel weak and sometimes even hurt. I've been supplementing Punarnarva root powder which works quite well, but I'm wondering if there are other herbs that you guys use that also help with this?

Thanks.

Yes some exercises do tax the kidneys, however if they are to that degree, you are doing too many of them or too often. Well or perhaps not quite right. Have you asked your teacher about the kidney taxing of the exercises they gave you? If however you are going by a book, find a teacher... er I mean just do them for less time ;). Careful with the kidneys, bad things can happen. Think adrenels and so forth.

Sha wu shi (forgot the spelling), it comes in liquid, found in chinatown.

Also kidney tonification exercises.

SOUP!

Boil everything.... hopefully it tastes good.

Root vegies.

Clapping and rubbing your kidnies too helps.

self-diagnosis and self-treatment are great if you can't afford an herbalist, but if you can, go see one. Kidneys are most vital.

I use Chinese Foxglove (rheumania) and Fo Ti Tien for general kidney support, buy organic, and not from China!!! (duh)

i like MountainRoseHerbs out of Eugene Oregon USA... www.mountainroseherbs.com

also adaptogens, like reishi, and eleuthero are good to add, but i have been cautioned against combining Fo Ti and panax ginseng of any kind (not to be confused with eleuthero which is often called siberian ginseng but is not a true ginseng) because their effects counteract each other when taken together. (my teacher said take them 3 hours apart if at all).

again, Kidneys aren't to be fucked around with, ask the teacher who gave you those practices about it, and go get a consultation from an herbalist who at least believes in qi if not understands five elements theory if you can.

• Like 2

The acupoint KID3 (taixi) takes care of pretty much any kidney problem. Balances yin and yang of not only kidneys but also some of the other organ systems, tonifies the kidney, clears and activates the entire kidney meridian, etc.

I don't know why it isn't emphasized more.

(it's also the yuan source point, so you can use it in diagnosis...if there is problems in the area of the acupoint, you can be assured to use that point for treatment of that organ. I've personally noticed on myself that when the kidney yin is lowered, the left inside ankle will get problems)

(here's an interesting experience I had...I lived near one of the Great Lakes, and decided to practice on the beach at night. I noticed that my left inner ankle became extremely sore from it. Later on, I read my teacher instructing not to practice next to large bodies of water because it will take your kidney qi.)

Edited by turtle shell
  • Like 3

Build back your Kidney Yin:

• Quiescent meditation
  • Sleep
  • Bone Broth
  • Spend time in water
  • Dress in purple or black
  • Coconut water
  • Like 3

also drink enough water. Seems simple but if you're not getting your h2o throughout the day (combined with possible coffee or tea excess) you can hurt the kidneys

• Like 1

One thing to consider is that Chinese medicine doesn't really use herbs as "daily supplements." They are used in Chinese folk culture and folk-medicine, but not in the clinical practice. Herbs are used to make changes, and the closest to the use of a supplement is the long term administration of a formula for a chronic condition.

The next thing is that weakness of the kidneys includes such a vast range of possible etiological manifestations and levels of severity. The very first thing to ask is how old are you? This is critical to even beginning to suggest herbs. While rhemannia 熟地/生地 is used in processed and unprocessed forms, it is rarely given to anyone under 30 and only then if you are spilling ejaculate when you sleep or display impotence, otherwise its too sticky. That stickiness means it is never used alone in practice, its mixed with draining herbs to balance out its effects.

If the kidney deficiency is a relatively simple condition in a person of middle age with the most obvious manifestation being weakness and soreness in the low back, perhaps extending to the backs of the knees, then a typical formula would be 六味地黄丸 Liuwei DiHuang Wan (Six flavour Rhemannia pills). Its a basic kidney and essence tonifier based on a balance of three tonifying herbs (熟地黄,山药,山茱萸/shoudihuang-rhemannia, shanyao-dioscoreae, shanzhuyu-fructus cornus officinalis) balanced by smaller doses of three draining herbs (泽泻,茯苓,牡丹皮/ zexie-alisma plantain, fuling-poria, mudanpi-peoniae suffriticosa). Its an time tested formula that is the basis of a large number of other formulae. Truly one of the genius formulations of herbs within the whole of herbal medicine.

I would hope that no student of mine would practice to kidney depletion, but your practice and goals are your own. My advice is get a complete diagnosis from a well trained Chinese medicine practitioner (not just an acupuncturist) and have them prescribe something based on a good interview and look at your tongue and pulse.

• Like 5

folks dont like cordyceps?

i am curious about the caution of combining ginseng with fo ti?

Li Ching Yuen lived to be very old and he combined them, he also sincerely played his baguazhang

that he learned from a hermit even older than himself. i enjoy hearing about this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Ching-Yuen

folks don't like cordyceps?

I like it just fine, but the OP doesn't mention any cough due to deficiency. COPD? Then 冬虫夏草 dongchong xiacao is the herb. It also has the downside of high cost. Anytime herb=expensive then the chances of some unscrupulous and corrupt middleman stepping on the product with an adulterant rises.

Fo Ti Tieng (a registered trademark) is not the same as polygonum multi florum/何首乌. In China it called Heshouwu, Fo Ti is apparently something it was called by an American herbal distributor. Fo Ti Tieng is a compound of three herbs. As Baldwin's UK says on their website:

Fo-Ti Tieng Powder is a comoposition of Kola, Meadowsweet and Hydrocotyle powder, and shouldn't be confused with Fo-Ti, which is the Chinese herb Fleeceflower which can be found in our Chinese Herb section.

Ingredients: Meadowsweet 50%, Kola 25%, Hydrocotyle 25%.

This may be what should not be combined with 人参 ginseng. In fact wasn't it ginseng and heshouwu that Li Chungyun was suposed to have used everyday?

• Like 2

This may be what should not be combined with 人参 ginseng. In fact wasn't it ginseng and heshouwu that Li Chungyun was suposed to have used everyday?

Wikipedia says, "He worked as a herbalist, selling lingzhi, goji berry, wild ginseng, he shou wu and gotu kola along with other Chinese herbs, and lived off a diet of these herbs and rice wine."

If this really was what he ate, it's a pretty well-balanced, tonifying diet. The lingzhi would benefit the immune system, the goji berry (gou qi zi) and he shou wu would tonify liver blood and kidney essence, and the ginseng (probably Panax ginseng), would tonify Qi. I really wonder what the "other Chinese herbs" were.