Sign in to follow this  
Harmonious Emptiness

The energetics of discussion on TTB

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this.

I think there is a quick descension towards anger in chat rooms because anger transfers easily and allows for some tangible sense of an exchange of energies with another person.. it bridges the virtual divide easier, maybe...

There's also obviously the info exchange which can be very satisfying sometimes too.

At the same time, the limits of this exchange mode might lead to other positive or negative elements. For example, it's difficult to say things in a succinct way without seeming forcefully direct.. This, I find, can loop around and make one then become forcefully direct and continue on in this way without even realizing why they are being that way. It can be difficult to transfer your actual inner sentiment along side the written words.

Any ideas? Observations? Comments?

• Like 1

i like to choose a more grounded approach as to why the negative energy:

many people immediately take a defensive stance if there is disagreement, by being wrong they feel personally attacked.

some people try to bully, they send out negative energy in an attempt to get information out of people.

the energy can definitely be felt, i think its important to just ignore people who throw around personal attacks, and channel that negative energy into training instead of just giving it back.

maybe the negative energy can lead to more info exchange, people obviously argue for hours.but, I think people avoid giving good information to people they dislike

• Like 1

IMO writing itself is a magical act.....we are sharing the essence of who we are at the moment of this creative act....ie ....imprinting our energetic signature in every word we write. Some people's writing is pleasant and enlightening to read while others is not so much....of course this kind of perception also depends upon where were at personally.

My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 9

IMO writing itself is a magical act.....

I just put that in large font bold in case anyone missed it.

• Like 4

Taobums has changed my life. Mostly because I've found out about resources and practices that I've explored and incorporated into what I do. There are some very knowledgeable people on here who are doing/sharing things that I just wouldn't know about otherwise in my so-called "real" life.

As far as the arguments and drama go, I mostly just ignore it. Well, not always true. I'm occasionally willing to duke it out if the subject matter is something I feel passionate about. Mostly though, that's not why I'm here. By now, I know certain people whose opinions and views I respect, and I learn a lot from what they have to say.

• Like 5

Yah this is a great place. When I get better at ignoring argumentative people (like myself :) ), it'll be even better. There are occasionally serious life altering discussions, actually about a practice instead of just arguments, and I'm trying to focus more on those, even if I have nothing to add to them.

• Like 1

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this.

I think there is a quick descension towards anger in chat rooms because anger transfers easily and allows for some tangible sense of an exchange of energies with another person.. it bridges the virtual divide easier, maybe...

There's also obviously the info exchange which can be very satisfying sometimes too.

At the same time, the limits of this exchange mode might lead to other positive or negative elements. For example, it's difficult to say things in a succinct way without seeming forcefully direct.. This, I find, can loop around and make one then become forcefully direct and continue on in this way without even realizing why they are being that way. It can be difficult to transfer your actual inner sentiment along side the written words.

Any ideas? Observations? Comments?

Regarding anger: in my own experience, I used to be a very angry person when I was younger. Why? because I enjoyed it. I'm not sure why, but I really liked getting angry about things. Perhaps it was for the feeling of being energized and motivated to succeed. Perhaps it was because it gave me some feeling of having more control over my situation and over other people. I think what it boils down to really is that my anger made me feel more powerful. The desire for power is a very difficult thing to get rid of.

Anymore, though, it is something I do not experience very often. Through understanding and lessening desire, there is not much reason for it. Sure, I can be frustrated sometimes, but if I can understand why it is that I'm getting frustrated, I see that there really is no reason for it for myself.

• Like 1

Yah this is a great place. When I get better at ignoring argumentative people (like myself :) ), it'll be even better. There are occasionally serious life altering discussions, actually about a practice instead of just arguments, and I'm trying to focus more on those, even if I have nothing to add to them.

You better not put me on "ignore". I occasionally say something of value.

:ph34r:

• Like 1

:)

I haven't and won't put anyone on ignore. You're not one of the people I'm referring to anyways. Actually almost all of us around here can be that way occasionally, but some people just bring it with them everywhere they go.

I notice some people here are very good at avoiding the threads that go south.

I was reading a post by someone on an automotive forum I'm on earlier this week, and his sig says something like : Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I almost thought I was on this site for a second. :)

Edited by i am

I was reading a post by someone on an automotive forum I'm on earlier this week, and his sig says something like : Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I almost thought I was on this site for a second. :)

Hehehe. I'm not that paranoid! I just stay away from places where I would have to assume such a mentality.

The energetics of discussion on ttb sometimes seem to me like...

ay2a0k.jpg

...but I guess that's only my personal pov! :closedeyes:

Hehehe. I did watch that movie.

Yeah, we can hear such things on TTB. One can even hear me doing that shit now and then.

But I'm no Yu and you're not Mi.

And sometimes I edit my misspellings.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

many people immediately take a defensive stance if there is disagreement, by being wrong they feel personally attacked.

True.

And people tend to be very personally invested in being right

some people try to bully, they send out negative energy in an attempt to get information out of people.

or to get some energy reaction that they can use.. Feeds the ego, sort of like Drew Hempel talks about "pervs trying to steal" energy from him.. Sometimes.. it seems like that a bit.

IMO writing itself is a magical act.....we are sharing the essence of who we are at the moment of this creative act....ie ....imprinting our energetic signature in every word we write. Some people's writing is pleasant and enlightening to read while others is not so much....of course this kind of perception also depends upon where were at personally.

My 2 cents, Peace

It is an art (at least)... creating expression to alter the experiences of an audience

Taobums has changed my life. Mostly because I've found out about resources and practices that I've explored and incorporated into what I do. There are some very knowledgeable people on here who are doing/sharing things that I just wouldn't know about otherwise in my so-called "real" life.

There's treasure on the other side of the bridge.

lol

Treasure trolls!!! :o

Regarding anger: in my own experience, I used to be a very angry person when I was younger. Why? because I enjoyed it. I'm not sure why, but I really liked getting angry about things. Perhaps it was for the feeling of being energized and motivated to succeed. Perhaps it was because it gave me some feeling of having more control over my situation and over other people. I think what it boils down to really is that my anger made me feel more powerful. The desire for power is a very difficult thing to get rid of.

Anymore, though, it is something I do not experience very often. Through understanding and lessening desire, there is not much reason for it. Sure, I can be frustrated sometimes, but if I can understand why it is that I'm getting frustrated, I see that there really is no reason for it for myself.

mmm hmm..

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this